LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Standard
Foresight
Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:30 pm
--- description ---
Gondor knights in standard play with a focus on beatdown instead of fortifications. Discover the power of knights when they don’t rely on fortifications to win!
--- end description ---

-Adventure Path-

0 Emyn Muil
0 Anduin River
1 Rohan Uplands
1 Ettenmoors
1 Slopes of Orodruin
2 Window on the West
2 Helm’s Gate
3 Trollshaw Forest
3 Mount Doom

-Starting Fellowship-

Isildur, Bearer of Heirlooms
The One Ring, The Ring of Rings
Duinhir, Tall Man of Blackroot Vale
Denethor, Lord of Minas Tirith

-Draw Deck-

Companions

Guard of the White Tree
Boromir, Hero of Osgiliath
Faramir, Defender of Osgiliath
Aragorn, Captain of Gondor
Elendil, High-King of Gondor

Conditions

King’s Legacy (x2)
Spirit of the White Tree (x4)

Events

Pledge of Loyalty (x4)
Rally the Company (x4)
Banners Blowing (x2)
Last Throw

Possessions

Gondorian Sword (x3)
Gondorian Steed (x3)

Artifacts

Anduril, Sword that was Broken
Narsil, Forged by Telchar
Scroll of Isildur

Followers

Pallando, Far-Travelling One

---

-Strategy-

Ok, this deck has it all. You can liberate sites, discard conditions, make the move limit +1, discard possessions, heal companions by winning skirmishes, raising the resistance of Isildur to protect vs. corruption. What this deck does NOT protect against is any sort of threat-adding shadow side. There’s no card that removes threats for gondor that I can think of (if there is, please tell me!). So it’s a basic principle we’re going for here: Load up your companions, kill all in your path, and march. Fully-loaded Aragorn is a 12 strength, Damage +2 companion, and Elendil fully-loaded is a 13 strength, Damage +2 companion! King’s Legacy helps you use Aragorn and Elendil more efficiently. If Isildur MUST skirmish, then King’s Legacy at least gives you a benefit if he wins his skirmish. 10 skirmish events to boost your success at winning skirmishes. Elendil and the Gondorian Steeds keep your fellowship’s resistance up unless burdens are added. Scroll of Isildur helps protect against corruption. Pallando lets you discard conditions. Boromir winning his skirmishes is likely, he’s an 11 strength, damage +1 companion if he’s fully loaded. Spirit of the White Tree helps protect against all sorts of antagonizing minion skirmish special abilities. Usually bid 0 in non-competitive play, if you win the tossup then go first. In competitive play, bid as many as you think you can live with, and try to go first. But really, this deck does well going either second or first. Plenty of cards cycle nicely, such as the Gondorian Swords and Denethor who fetches you cards. Guard of the White Tree is in there for another knight to spot, and he can also give himself an emergency strength +2 boost from King’s Legacy. Duinhir spots the Gondorian Steeds to make himself Damage +1, and it protects against swarm. Now we’ll go through some matchups I can think of.

-Forestgul-

So you most likely won’t get the sitepath. Nelya constantly giving you Buckland Homestead and discarding your Spirit of the White Trees and your King’s Legacys can be annoying. Lost in the Woods can be taken care of by either Pallando or Anduril. If you can get past the Lost in the Woods, then you’re well-set. But the whole point isn’t just to try and overwhelm you by high-strength minions, it’s also to swarm you with high-strength fierce minions via Dark Approach. Many decks can have trouble with that, and this one does too, especially if they get a minion on Isildur every move Evil or Very Mad . The fully-loaded knights shouldn’t have any trouble dealing with the massive strength Witch Kings, and all the skirmish events are useable on anyone. Just try to hang in there, win skirmishes when you can to discard what you can, heal up with Boromir when he wins, and stop when it gets too dangerous to move again. If the coast is clear, surf ahead!

-Corruption-

This deck really doesn’t have THE BEST corruption defense, but it can make Isildur an 11 resistance, which isn’t too shabby. Just need to have Narsil, Anduril, and Scroll of Isildur out. Some corruption decks run conditions to get them to work, Pallando dismantles those kinds. For the Ulaire Enquea, Thrall of the One and Between Nazgul and Prey decks, Spirit of the White Tree shuts that down unless they also pack Keening Wail. The only thing you can do is try to beatdown their minions whenever you can, and try to hang in there. Bound to its Fate decks will dislike the 10 skirmish events in the deck, and the Last Throw. So discarding events for it won’t be so bad. Remember to Pallando those Goblin Hordes whenever you can! No burden removal means you have to be cautious about which kind of corruption deck you’re facing. Kill all their minions, and move. If they add plenty of burdens in one turn and it’s likely they’ll do the same next site if you move again, stay!

-Site Control-

Anduril is your only hope. Try to win with Aragorn as much as you can to liberate sites. The skirmish events can insure that he does just that, and Spirit of the White Tree stops Chieftain of Dunland from working even! Don’t ya just love that card, Spirit of the White Tree? I know I do! So pulling Aragorn with Denethor if you don’t draw him in the first region is essential. So is pulling Anduril with Denethor if you don’t have it by site 6. If you can’t get Aragorn/Anduril out, then try to survive as much as you can, beatdown those minions that rely on winning skirmishes or surviving to control sites.

-Deceived Wizards-

This can get pretty agonizing. Potentially every move you can get up to 3 fierce wizard conditions and if they’re using Saruman, Agent of the Dark Lord it gets even easier to bring out Radagast Deceived. Throne of Isengard makes these decieved wizards even more dangerous, Saruman too! The only thing you can do against these guys is use Pallando. Don’t ya just love Pallando, too? Mr. Green Your companions will tromp Agent of the Dark Lord with Spirit of the White Tree, so use that to your advantage! Can either be very messy or it can be a cakewalk depending on what they have. If they can discard conditions with You do not know Fear, then bye-bye Spirit of the White Tree.

-Swarm-

Duinhir actually finds use! Use his ability to win a skirmish to potentially discard a minion off of Isildur. Putting the Narsil on Isildur instead of Elendil may also be a smart choice, it makes Isildur a 10 strength! Hard to overwhelm that, and all the skirmish events will make it that much more difficult to overwhelm Isildur.

-Beatdown-

A true test of strength! A race to see who can setup first to beatdown the other! If you win the race, then yay! If they win the race and suddenly you find yourself getting overwhelmed constantly, tip-toe on the site path until you get setup. When you get setup, almost no shadow beatdown can stop this.
Last edited by Foresight on Thu May 31, 2007 12:38 pm; edited 4 times in total
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Sat May 05, 2007 11:51 am
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
first removing threats

Hearts Raised! you have 8 companions and 5 hand weapons...add in a knights spear or 2 maybe. cut some spirit of the white tree(maybe all) add in 2 CotS and 2 fourth level to help you toast the better minions. or just 4 fourth level and add in some gondor bow. you could also cut last throw and 4 strength pumps to fit these in. if you do add in some CoTs for sure. and maybe a sixth level
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
TheJord
Posted: Sat May 05, 2007 4:03 pm
Aragorn, Driven By Need is another threat removal Gondor card. With the new T&D Armor of the White Tree that makes companions knights, he would fit in fine.
"The rule of Gondor is mine!"
Foresight
Posted: Sat May 05, 2007 8:37 pm
See I’m no big expert on knights, I just wanted to attempt to make a knight deck that doesn’t rely on fortifications. With Isildur’s strength boost he gives to the knights, I found that if they don’t use fortifications, then they will be a standard beatdown fellowship. That’s the main goal here. That Hearts Raised condition sounds good, I may drop a Spirit of the White Tree for a copy. It even becomes fodder for Guard of the White Tree if the shadow side doesn’t utilize threats. Thanks for the suggestions guys, any more?
TheJord
Posted: Sun May 06, 2007 8:31 am
Stewards Legacy can be a good condition with Boromir exerting minions and Faramir cancelling special abilities.
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Sun May 06, 2007 12:27 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
here is a deck I made along the same lines of yours

http://lotrtcgdb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=717 it is a non hunter’s block, and doesn’t have hearts raised but it might give you some ideas.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
Foresight
Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 1:32 pm
TheJord wrote:
Stewards Legacy can be a good condition with Boromir exerting minions and Faramir cancelling special abilities.

So maybe that new skirmish event comming out in Treachery and Deciet won’t be so useless afterall! I can exert Denethor (With the armor of course), Faramir, and Boromir with it to trigger Stewards Legacy! I’ll have to think about adding that in, though I know this deck will be severely changed after Treachery and Deciet gets released.

sickofpalantirs wrote:
here is a deck I made along the same lines of yours

http://lotrtcgdb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=717 it is a non hunter’s block, and doesn’t have hearts raised but it might give you some ideas.

Ok, I don’t even own Imrahil, Prince of Dol Amroth or Garrison of Gondor. Must have those cards now! Exclamation
NBarden
Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 1:35 pm
All knight decks need fortifications. 2 Sixth Level, 4 Fourth Level, Citadel of the Stars, and maybe a Fifth Level. Oh yeah, Gondor Bow.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
Aragorn, King in Exile
Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 2:01 pm
Yeah, fourth level + gondor bow + one exertion = instant death to most minions. That combo is VERY powerful, just make sure you have an easy way to heal your companions often. Wink
TheJord
Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 2:27 pm
Boromir, Hero of Osgiliath, Houses of Healing and King’s Legacy with a non-RB Isildur, like the new T&D one, is what your looking for, and if you went Expanded then Banner of Westernesse or Citadel of Minas Tirith.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Standard