LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
AgentDrake
Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:43 am
Joined: 01 Apr 2007 Posts: 667 Location: Halfway between eccentric and insane...
Alright, a few changes made, and GP to Dain.
Sorry for the delay, this seems to be ebcoming an unfortunate habit. Hopefully I’ll be a bit more prompt after New Year’s.

Getting down to the last few Dwarf shadow cards. As Thranduil’s pointed out a few times, they’ve got alot of (arguably too many) different focuses. The idea was to make the Shadow Dwarves a harrassment shadow.
The end result, though, is that all their muster, tokens, etc. can all be funneled down into different ways of adding burdens. Theoretically, any of their "resources" can be converted into burdens. If you don’t have the card in hand at the moment to convert, say, muster to burdens, you can change it to whatever you can immediately convert to burdens.
Their muster and card-drawing are also useful for cycling and setting up your hand for the FP.

I’m not saying they’re by any means an incredibly powerful shadow side. But theoretically, I think their chaotic focus is not as bad as it seems when looking at just a few cards at a time.

Anyway, after that weak defense of my shadow side, back to the cards!

0 Long-Borne Grudges Dwarven SH
Event – Response
Stealth.
If your Dwarf minion loses a skirmish, you may reinforce a Dwarven token.
If your Dwarf minion wins a skirmish, add a burden.
“‘…for what you have done my heart is hot.’”

^A way to add burdens directly or indirectly that can be used anytime.

1 Slinking and Sneaking Dwarven SH
Condition – Support Area
To play, spot a Dwarven minion.
At the start of each regroup phase, you may remove two tokens here to add a burden. The Free Peoples player may exert a companion twice to prevent this.
Maneuver: Remove two Dwarven tokens from your conditions to place a Dwarven token here.
Mim’s persistent stealth and secrecy took its toll on Turin’s men.

^Converting tokens to burdens.

1 Dwarven Curse Dwarven SH
Condition
Resistance -2
To play, exert a Dwarven minion.
Bearer must be a companion (except the Hero.) Limit 1 per bearer.
While bearer has a resistance of 0, at the start of each fellowship phase, wound him or her.
“‘The curse of a dwarf never dies, they say….’”

^ And a convenient side effect of burdens with a bonus. I figure it’s not entirely overpowered, a sort of weakened Blade Tip.

Alright, time to tell me how they’re all either useless or broken. Oh well. Maybe the next culture will work out better. Laughing

Should be one more post of these guys; three minions and a condition.
Last edited by AgentDrake on Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in totalNever kid about politicians. The more bizarre the joke, the more likely it is to come true.
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:48 am
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
AgentDrake wrote:
Sorry for the delay, this seems to be ebcoming an unfortunate habit. Hopefully I’ll be a bit more prompt after New Year’s.

Getting down to the last few Dwarf shadow cards. As Thranduil’s pointed out a few times, they’ve got alot of (arguably too many) different focuses. The idea was to make the Shadow Dwarves a harrassment shadow.
The end result, though, is that all their muster, tokens, etc. can all be funneled down into different ways of adding burdens. Theoretically, any of their "resources" can be converted into burdens. If you don’t have the card in hand at the moment to convert, say, muster to burdens, you can change it to whatever you can immediately convert to burdens.
Their muster and card-drawing are also useful for cycling and setting up your hand for the FP.

I’m not saying they’re by any means an incredibly powerful shadow side. But theoretically, I think their chaotic focus is not as bad as it seems when looking at just a few cards at a time.

An interesting idea. I like that.

Quote:
0 Borne Grudges Dwarven SH
Event – Response

Ouch...but it works, especially because it’s an event.
Quote:
Condition – Support Area
At the start of each regroup phase, you may remove two tokens here to add a burden. The Free Peoples player may exert a companion to prevent this.
Maneuver: Remove two Dwarven tokens from your condition to place a Dwarven token here.

Interesting, the prevention text works well.
Quote:
Condition
Resistance -2
Bearer must be a companion (except the hero.) Limit 1 per bearer.
While bearer has a resistance of 0, at the start of each fellowship phase, wound him or her.

Wow, that’s cool.
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
Thranduil
Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:56 am
AgentDrake wrote:
Getting down to the last few Dwarf shadow cards. As Thranduil’s pointed out a few times, they’ve got alot of (arguably too many) different focuses.

Yeah, sorry about that. But it’s not because I don’t love your cards (clearly, or I wouldn’t keep reviewing them! Very Happy)

AgentDrake wrote:

I can see that, but the Dwarven Shadow side is not quite split into sub-cultures like other cultures, my worry was that it was all jumbled together with one strategy relying on one or more of the others.

AgentDrake wrote:
Event – Response

Unfortunately response events are generally very rubbish. Making it a unique 2/3 cost condition would make me use it. As it is, I wouldn’t - there’s just too little effect for a wasted card. Or, you could add on a very easy way of recurring this card, like as a exerting Shadow action.

AgentDrake wrote:
Condition – Support Area
At the start of each regroup phase, you may remove two tokens here to add a burden. The Free Peoples player may exert a companion to prevent this.
Maneuver: Remove two Dwarven tokens from your condition to place a Dwarven token here.

Did you mean for this card to only remove tokens from one condition? Because that’s what it does. I like this one, but you should take out the prevention mechanism or it isn’t useful enough.

AgentDrake wrote:
Condition
Resistance -2

Should Hero not have a capital ’h’? Excellent card. Maybe transfer it like Blade Tip and then you could get rid of the exception clause.

AgentDrake wrote:
Alright, time to tell me how they’re all either useless or broken. Oh well. Maybe the next culture will work out better. Laughing

I don’t remember saying any of your cards were broken... Laughing And like I said, I really like these cards and your ideas are fantastic, but I’d really like to use them efficiently as well.

I’m feeling these dwarves need some vanilla events like:

Shadow: Remove your Dwarven token to add a burden.

or:

Regroup: Spot 3 Dwarf minions with muster to add a burden.

Just simple cards like those would go a long way.

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)
lem0nhead
Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:19 am
AgentDrake wrote:

Event – Response

Coooool.

Condition – Support Area

Nice could cost 0.

Condition
Resistance -2

Seems OP especially as its not unique and lowers res by 2 anyway. Maybe • or change to res -1.

Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
elf lvr
Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:34 am
I agree with Thran on the first card.

Add a harsher prevention on Slinking and Sneaking, but keep some sort of prevention in there.

I like Dwarven Curse just the way it is.
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Winner of Best Personality in the FPCA. Thanks!
Archduke Elf Lvr - Archidoux of the Chosen Ones
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
NBarden
Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:16 am
AgentDrake wrote:

Event – Response

Nice.

^A way to add burdens directly or indirectly that can be used anytime.

Condition – Support Area

Your cards are in general underpowered. Razz Flat out burden, not exerting to prevent.

^Converting tokens to burdens.

Condition
Resistance -2

Nice. The difference between Blade Tip and this is that you can throw it on anyone, not a companion who lost a skirmish.

^ And a convenient side effect of burdens with a bonus. I figure it’s not entirely overpowered, a sort of weakened Blade Tip.

Should be one more post of these guys; three minions and a condition.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:27 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
AgentDrake wrote:

Event – Response
works for me

Condition – Support Area
hum...seems like it should be unique, and I don’t know why.

Condition
Resistance -2

works
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
AgentDrake
Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:06 pm
Joined: 01 Apr 2007 Posts: 667 Location: Halfway between eccentric and insane...
Alright, I changed Borne Grudges to be a stealth event, so it could be grabbed again from the discard pile, and changed the title to "Long-Borne Grudges" so that the addition of Stealth makes just a little bit of sense with the title.

Fixed Slinking and Sneaking to get any two tokens (condition to conditions). Other than that changed the prevention to exert twice.

As for the Curse, left it the way it is (capitalized Hero, but that’s all.) Think of it as under consideration for errata during future playtesting. Razz

Thran: Hey, I understand your point. I would generally agree, but I think these guys work. (emphasis on "think"...) I worry that anything too vanilla with these guys, though, would be a problem. I’ll throw in a few more cards today to try to give them a little more directly useful stuff.

Quick reminder: definition of the Guard [culture] X keyword:

Guard [culture] X (while you can spot a(nother) [culture] character, this character is strength +X.)

In other words, if you have Guard Orc 2 then you’re strength +2 while there’s an Orc minion out. Guard cannot spot itself, so if an Orc minion has Guard Orc 2, then you have to spot different Orc minion to get the guard bonus.

EDIT: Oh, yeah. And GP to CG.

Alright, the last six Dwarven shadow cards:

1 Ancient Hatred Dwarven SH
Event – Skirmish
Exert a Dwarven minion skirmishing a companion to add a burden. If that minion has muster, you may make it strength +2.
The Petty-Dwarves hated all outsiders, and the Elves most of all.

^ Vanilla-ish #1

2 *Betrayal Dwarven SH
Condition - Support Area
Response: If your Dwarven event is about to be discarded, you may remove it from the game and remove two of your Dwarven tokens to add a burden. Discard this condition.
"Thus was the House of Ransom betrayed."

^An alternative use for those recurring stealth events.

3 *Mim, Elf-Hater Dwarven SH
Minion – Dwarf
Strength 6
Vitality 3
Site 3
Corrupted.(You may play this minion regardless of unique Free Peoples cards.) Damage +1. Guard Elven 2.
While you have initiative, Mim is strength +2.
Response:
If the Free Peoples player plays a companion, discard Mim from your hand to make the Free Peoples player add a burden or exert that companion twice.
“The Orc-captain thought that the fate of Beleg might well be lift to Mim….”

^ Mim #1 of 2.

4 *Mim, Nibin-Noeg Dwarven SH
Minion – Dwarf
Strenth 6
Vitality 3
Site 3
Corrupted.(You may play this minion regardless of unique Free Peoples cards.) Damage +1. Guard Dwarven 2.
To play, spot a Dwarf minion.
Regroup: Exert Mim to play a Dwarven condition from your draw deck or discard pile.
“…as he went he muttered in a strange tongue that seemed harsh with ancient hatred….”

^ #2 of 2

1 *Mistrust Dwarven SH
Condition – Support Area
To play, spot two Dwarf minions with muster.
Each time the fellowship moves, you may discard a shadow card from hand to add a burden. The Free Peoples player may add 2 to prevent this.
“‘Maybe there are other things besides earth-bread in the wild which Elves have not found and Men must not know!’”

Vanilla-ish #2. I added the get-out bit to keep it from being way OP, plus I doubt the shadow player would mind getting another 2 when the FP moves....

3 Petty-Dwarf Exile Dwarven SH
Minion – Dwarf
Strength 6
Vitality 3
Site 3
Damage +1. Muster. Guard Elven 2.
When you play this minion, you may exert it to take a Dwarven stealth event into hand from your discard pile.
“…they took to lives of stealth….”

^The last reference to the stealth events.

1 Silent Rage Dwarven SH
Condition – Support Area
Strength +2
Bearer is damage +1. Limit 1 per bearer.
When you play this condition, you may place a Dwarven token here.
Each time a Dwarven minion wins a skirmish, you may reinforce a token here.
Skirmish: If there are three Dwarven tokens here, remove all tokens from this condition to transfer it to a Dwarf minion.
“And those who were on the watch saw him sitting on through the night silent and still as a stone, save for his sleepless eyes that glinted as they roved in the dark.”

^A token-based pump. Can be used as token fodder, or can transfer to pump minions.

Will have the poll for next culture up soon. I’m going to fiat that it will not be Dwarven FP, because I don’t want to do them so soon after the Dwarven shadow.
Never kid about politicians. The more bizarre the joke, the more likely it is to come true.
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:00 am
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
AgentDrake wrote:

Event – Skirmish
Exert a Dwarven minion skirmishing a companion to add a burden. If that minion has muster, you may make it strength +2.

Ouch...I don’t know...this is a fairly powerful card. 2, perhaps?

Quote:
2 *Betrayal Dwarven SH
Condition - Support Area
Response: If your Dwarven event is about to be discarded, you may remove it from the game and remove two of your Dwarven tokens to add a burden. Discard this condition.

Ouch, powerful! But balanced. I could see this as a major targeted condition.
Quote:
Minion – Dwarf
Strength 6
Vitality 3
Site 3
Corrupted.(You may play this minion regardless of unique Free Peoples cards.) Damage +1. Guard Elven 2.
Response:
If the Free Peoples player plays a companion, discard Mim from your hand to make the Free Peoples player add a burden or exert that companion twice.

Sweet, initiative is back...I also like the text. Reminds me of...Orc Crusher, is it?
Quote:
Minion – Dwarf
Strenth 6
Vitality 3
Site 3
Corrupted.(You may play this minion regardless of unique Free Peoples cards.) Damage +1. Guard Dwarven 2.
Regroup: Exert Mim to play a Dwarven condition from your draw deck or discard pile.
“…as he went he muttered in a strange tongue that seemed harsh with ancient hatred….”

Nice. Good, solid.
Quote:
1 *Mistrust Dwarven SH
Condition – Support Area
Each time the fellowship moves, you may discard a shadow card from hand to add a burden. The Free Peoples player may add 2 to prevent this.
“‘Maybe there are other things besides earth-bread in the wild which Elves have not found and Men must not know!’”

I like, you know. Good spotting, nice effect, the prevent is also nice.
Quote:
Minion – Dwarf
Strength 6
Vitality 3
Site 3
When you play this minion, you may exert it to take a Dwarven stealth event into hand from your discard pile.

Good card. Nice recursion.
Quote:
1 Silent Rage Dwarven SH
Condition – Support Area
Strength +2
Skirmish: If there are three Dwarven tokens here, remove all tokens from this condition to transfer it to a Dwarf minion.
“And those who were on the watch saw him sitting on through the night silent and still as a stone, save for his sleepless eyes that glinted as they roved in the dark.”

Good. I like this card.
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
lem0nhead
Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:12 am
AgentDrake wrote:

Event – Skirmish

Wow thats too easy a burden. Up cost to 2 or 3 at least.

2 *Betrayal Dwarven SH
Condition - Support Area

Ok.

Minion – Dwarf
Strength 6
Vitality 3
Site 3
Response:

Think theres a typo in the lore. Change to add 2 burdens seeing as your discarding him.

Minion – Dwarf
Strenth 6
Vitality 3
Site 3

Very little use for his gametext, make it maneuever or skirmish or something or hes gonna die first.

1 *Mistrust Dwarven SH
Condition – Support Area

Fine.

Minion – Dwarf
Strength 6
Vitality 3
Site 3

Pants name dude! Could be too good but not sure.

1 Silent Rage Dwarven SH
Condition – Support Area
Strength +2

Could cost 0.

Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards