LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

40%
  [ 2 ]  40%

40%
  [ 2 ]  40%

1 (Worst)  
20%
  [ 1 ]  20%

Total Votes : 5
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:15 pm
You've played me in two of those booster drafts afterschool. Actually, let me rephrase. We were in the same tourney afterschool twice, but I can't remember if we actually played.

Usually, you can't time it exactly to do two drafts perfectly back to back. Which means you need to count waiting time, pushing it over sealed.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:27 pm
Thanks for adding that section. But does it seem to anybody else like part a in the new section says "A) Cheat" or is it just me?
Osion
Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:20 pm
yeah,

Part A) a is not allowed

depending on your REL, rules enforcement level, you could get anywhere from a warning to a penalty for sneaking a peak at your other drafter's cards.

A technique that is useful and that I use, I might add, is to shuffle the cards in the pack after you have done your pick. That way, the guy you passed it to will have a harder chance at guessing what you took and how much power was originally in the pack.

Regarding the choice you made, your opponent was NOT HATEDRAFTING you. Come on, you know about draft signalling, right? Giving your opponent a Skargan Firebird in pack 1 set a clear signal that you weren't aiming for red. (Or it could have sent the signal that you were a bad player, but I digress. Razz )

OF COURSE your opponent is going to pick red cards and 'hatedraft' you!!! You are not in red, so he figures the red cards will just go flowing to him. He's definitely going to pick red, and by passing that BOMB you made sure you got your red cut off in Pack 2.

So, not a very good idea at all passing the bird.
Osion
Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:34 pm
To address another argument in this heated debate Rolling Eyes

If you are going to be competitive magic players you've got to overlook stuff like tourney price, tourney time, and raredrafting.

Competitive Magic is going to cost money. A lot of it. So get used to it, and using money to determine what events you do is quite trivial. To satisfy a future Grail argument, I say: even money not yours is still money.

If you want a serious tourney, be prepared for long game times. Expect when there are heavy prizes on the line for people to be taking notes and taking more time to decide what to do during a match. Your argument really applies to little stuff like prereleases, which I find kind of silly if you think you are going to be competitive.

Grail: Raredrafting has its advantages, but will get you killed at anything higher than a prerelease. A rare draft will dilute your card pool and the 'money' you gain from raredrafting is counteracted by the money you lose by not winning as many packs. Granted, a dual or a ghost council are too good to pass up, but, using an example I saw,

picking a decent magemark will get you a lot farther than raredrafting that (most often) 50 cent rare that will rot in your trade box when the new set isn't new anymore and people stop trading for mediocre cards just because they are new.

If you two seriously want to attend a Grand Prix these arguments should not have existed. The level of player skill is such that if you don't know your defined archetypes and possible decktypes of your opponent, you're going to get killed. Raredrafting and 'sneaking peaks' are amateur doings and will not get you anywhere.

Read some more articles on draft signalling and RavRavRav archetypes to actually not lose horriblely or win by sheer dumb luck.
Cobra
Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:44 pm
Got time to write an article on draft signaling and RavRavRav archetypes next month, Osion? Laughing
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:49 pm
Yea, I wouldn't rare draft if the prize difference was big, but in the afterschool tourneys we've had, winning the first round match guaranteed two packs, and the highest was four. So by grabbing two rares of decent power, I decided I liked them better than the extra two packs. And I still had a chance of winning the extra packs, even if a decreased one.

Considering the GP has much, much better prizes, I wouldn't rare draft except a dual, or maybe burning tree shaman/rumbling slum, but thats it. And thats because it's hate draft as much as it's rare draft.

And by the way, "Osion" I'm sure you're still upset because you think my deck was worse at the prerelease and I went 3-0-1 to your 2-1-1, but you really have to know that I play to win. I'm not dumb enough to miss out on a mortify for a rare not of my colors in the third pack.

As for the money thing, you know how I am- I always want my money's worth. And grabbing a dual land in a draft is more than that. Grabbing on in the GP isn't. If I can go to the GP, you know I'll play to win.
Ilvaldi
Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:01 am
Got one thing for you Grail: SPIKE

And lots of it. Your pure blood to it and your very stereotypical to it as well.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:35 am
Actually, I took the test and I'm a Spike/Johnny, Mr. "OMFG Grail is so purebred spike its not funny!!!"

So yea, perhaps you don't know me as well as you thought, Charles.
Ilvaldi
Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:42 pm
Your dominant trait is shown first. Which is Spike. Your Johnny side barely exists. Only on occassions (like your article with the Izzet guildmage) it does.

However, you're Spike. Don't deny it. And, if you hadn't notice, the Johnnies in our school either don't like or downright hate you. They look at you as a person who doesn't see the signifigance of having fun with rares like eye of the storm and eternal dominion.

Furthermore, your ability to become attracted to cards of great value or power shows your side of spike. And the inability to make decks that are off the wall with cards that are underrated, underestimated, or just crappy but fun to play with backs that off.

And, to further add, your obsession of creating decks that can compete other decks and not decks that all players can enjoy to play with.

You don't seem to understand flavor nor fun matches, but rather power, strategy, and beatdown. This is shown through your ignorance and harsh criticism in past articles.

I can see why your Johnny. When I was a freshman, you didn't took the game seriously and you actually enjoyed playing with the crap rares of the myojins or Gilded Lotus. The only thing that remains shred memory of those times were your birds of paradise (you reffered to as bops)--cards you still cherish now.

So cut the crap, if you keep up with the spike-like attitude, I will no longer post on this website nor will I visit here. Your remarks are now too annoying for me to here.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:02 pm
Wow man, not trying to set you off. Just saying, I'm def. not pure spike. If you noticed, I collect expensive cards in shifts, trying to keep with the newest sets so my cards don't lose value. That's all behind the expensive cards. I'm pretty sure you'll find the genju deck I'm making very Johnny as well..

If the thing says I'm a Spike/Johnny, I'm a spike/jonny. yes, spike is first, and I am more spike. But I'm definately not pure spike.

How was that old landkill deck expensive? The rainbow deck didn't use any rigged cards, either, and those are the two decks I've played most at school.

When I go to tourneys, I become a spike because spikes win, but if you manage to put that aside, in casual I'm more Johnny than Spike.

If you want to leave this site, it's your loss. But nobody, least of all me is making you stay.

BTW, I'm not exactly in the main part of Magic at our school, anymore, so I'd bet most of the Johnnys don't know me.

One more thing. I was actually very... ahh.... evolved Timmy I'd say two yrs ago and part of last year. That rainbow deck was yea, gilded lotus etc, but the point was to get biggo creatures down and beat you off the earth.

Now if you'll pardon me, I need to reSpike myself since I'm going to the Grand Prix Richmond next weekend SmileSmile^^^

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest