LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

40%
  [ 2 ]  40%

40%
  [ 2 ]  40%

1 (Worst)  
20%
  [ 1 ]  20%

Total Votes : 5
inresponse
Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:25 am
when you start arguing about player types you haev breached a level of nerdosity previously unknown to man. congratulations.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:05 pm
Yea... I made Osion come show it to me cuz I didn't know what he was talking about. I just don't like it when people classify me.
Ilvaldi
Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:01 pm
Not going to argue with you. I find it difficult. And, after reading your "conversation" with inresponse's mono green deck, I am really discouraged to debate with your one-sided point of view.

Just, for my sake, don't do anything so spikish as to piss me off to a level in which I can not tolerate.

I really enjoy this sight and all (even if I get bad ratings on my articles) and I don't want my fun to be spoiled just because there is someone who agitates me--alot.
Osion
Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:14 pm
Whoa there, calm down guys.

Ilvaldi --- those were just some casual, fun names made by Mark Rosewater. You are taking the whole thing too seriously -- I mean, any more and it would be outright stereotype contempt, a bad thing in this country methinks.

Every touney player is some spike. When you went 0-2 at the BoK prerelease you dropped instead of playing the rest of the matches - a very tourney player thing to do.

Does it really matter so much that Grail is a tourney player? If you have a problem with him then talk in person, don't troll an internet forum

Grail --- while I support you in this case I would like to mention that your conversations so often turn defensive and then offensive. (Like in that other topic, you immediately accused the other guy as taking a crack at your playing ability and then argue for like forever).

Calm is good. Its just an internet discussion guys.
Osion
Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:26 pm
Back to the original article

Many people like sealed. Easy to get into, different everytime you play. The thing is, there are very few sealed events that are on the world class level, except some anomalies like Grand Prix Richmond.

The thing is, there is much more of an appeal for booster drafts because

1. They take less time, 8-man single elim takes 3 hours tops.

2. They are more skill intensive (this could be argued)

3. Lots of people stick by booster draft and thus creates a cycle where players learn and get used to a format that others like, thus attracting more players and so on.

4. People like more control over their decklists

Another thing is
1. You don't have to parade the merits of sealed. People know.

2. The strategy article is more oriented through the explanation of packs and card choices, not a blog on your matches (though that is welcome at the end)

To Conor:
Quote:
Got time to write an article on draft signaling and RavRavRav archetypes next month, Osion? Very Happy

Perhaps Very Happy depends on your guildpact stock Very Happy

RavRavRav is quickly rotating out though, replaced with RavRavGpt draft. Draft mechanics and archetypes tend to settle after the Magic Online release, when many players get used to the format. Signalling practice can be done for any format however.
inresponse
Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:09 am
if you don't want to write on rav rav gp, I will be happy to do the honors. If you didn't notice I am missing an article this month, I really want to do one next month, especially before other people write. I was all set to do one this time about r/u land destruction because it has been housing at my local tournaments, but somehow every article is about r/u or ld so I figured it would just blend in, which is unacceptable for this amazing deck. And nexty month there is no point in writing about it because it changes sooo much with guildpact. I guess this is just aroundabout way of saying I have nothing to write about so if you don't want to write about rrg I am happy to do so...

wow, that was drawn out.
inresponse
Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:39 pm
La_Sin_Grail wrote:
Booster draft is easier. I never said it wasn’t. Just don’t confuse easier with better. Easier makes it easier for your opponents, too.

woah woah woah. Booster drafting is much more difficult than sealed deck. With sealed you have to just build a deck, but if you are drafting, every single decision you make before you ever begin your deckbuilding matters.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:10 pm
inresponse wrote:
La_Sin_Grail wrote:
Booster draft is easier. I never said it wasn’t. Just don’t confuse easier with better. Easier makes it easier for your opponents, too.

woah woah woah. Booster drafting is much more difficult than sealed deck. With sealed you have to just build a deck, but if you are drafting, every single decision you make before you ever begin your deckbuilding matters.

I’m sorry for the lack of clarity. I said T2 constructed is easier than drafting. Sealed is easier then draft, agreed.
inresponse
Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:03 pm
oh, phew. I was worried there.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:14 pm
inresponse wrote:
oh, phew. I was worried there.

Yeah... Technically the format of booster drafting is just plain harder.

Sometimes, people think booster drafting is easier though, and here’s their valid point. Every noob and his brother likes to booster draft, but far fewer players (usually the decent to good ones) like to play sealed.

Of course, if I have eight people who won’t change, the booster draft is harder, but seven noobs or seven pros and I’ll pick the noobs in any format.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest