LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Expanded
menace64
Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:27 pm
“‘Very well, very well, Master Elrond!’ said Bilbo suddenly.
‘Say no more! It is plain enough what you are pointing at. Bilbo the silly hobbit started this affair, and Bilbo had better finish it, or himself. I was very comfortable here, and getting on with my book. If you want to know, I am just writing an ending for it. I had thought of putting: and he lived happily every afterwards to the end of his days. It is a good ending, and none the worse for having been used before. Now I shall have to alter that: it does not look like coming true; and anyway there will evidently have to be several more chapters, if I live to write them. It is a frightful nuisance.
When ought I to start?’”

That’s right.

This is a Solo Bilbo deck.

Bilbo, Bearer of Things Burgled
The One Ring, Answer to All Riddles

Followers (2):
Daddy Twofoot, Next-door Neighbor x2

Conditions (17):
Birthday Present x2
Consorting With Wizards x4
Sudden Fury x4
The Tale of the Great Ring x3
There and Back Again x4

Events (20):
Dagger Strike x4
Extraordinary Resilience x4
Hobbit Appetite x3
Hobbit Intuition x4
Stout and Sturdy x3
Unharmed x2

Possessions (3):
Hobbit Sword
Sting, Weapon of Heritage x2

In this deck, dastardly draws aside, Bilbo is invincible.
Back before I got my 2 reflections boxes, I considered building a deck around Bilbo (if I got him). I didn’t think it would work very well, but to my surprise I pulled 3 Consorting With Wizards in said boxes - a card I had never bothered to remember until that moment.

Consorting With Wizards eliminates all hazards except for archery wounding, corruption, and overwhelming (of course, condition removal as well, which is why there are 4 copies of it in the deck). It is also a tale, allowing Bilbo to play it during the regroup phase to help cycle extra copies from my hand or if I happen to draw it after I move.

Archery, one of the two threats to poor old Bilbo, is dealt with through massive healing. The One Ring, Answer to All Riddles helps with extra vitality, but cards like Hobbit Appetite (which can also put as much twilight into the pool as needed to get around Bilbo’s moving penalty), Stout and Sturdy, and Unharmed (*great* against swarms) ensure a fresh Bilbo over every hill and under every hill.

Corruption is easy to prevent. Since most Shadow sides won’t run both archery and corruption, Extraordinary Resilience at a sanctuary can easily wipe off burdens, then the healing cards normally used to handle archery can be used to remove any remaining wounds.

Being overwhelmed is a bit trickier to surmount. Of course, The Tale of the Great Ring can be a lifesaver, but it is by no means a guarantee. Sudden Fury is an amazing tool in this area (especially since losing a skirmish won’t do Mr. Bilbo any harm), and There and Back Again, along with Dagger Strike and Hobbit Intuition, should take care of the rest.

Daddy Twofoot, Next-door Neighbor and Birthday Present gives Bilbo a bit more breathing space, allowing you to retrieve the right cards at the right time.

This deck has been the most fun for me to play. It has more flavor than you can shake a stick at. I run two of Sting, Weapon of Heritage simply because I get a kick out of watching Bilbo running around with Sting, while carrying a copy of his book (There and Back Again), and getting ready to write the second half (The Tale of the Great Ring).

If Bilbo *did* end up taking the Ring to Mordor, this is exactly how he would have done it.
Riddle 9
When I came to Abraham I let him live just a moment longer. When I came to Moses I saved his life more than once. But the salmon... I regret to say I had a hand in its death.

Who am I?
TheJord
Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:41 pm
ABout time someone concocted this deck. Love it.

Little Golden Flower!
"The rule of Gondor is mine!"
NBarden
Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:41 pm
I built one....Crying or Very sad
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
TheHobbit13
Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:47 pm
why do you have hobbit intuition in there i thought you couldn’t cancel a skirmish invovling the RB.. or do you use it for the +3
If you like LOTR then maybe you would like redemption ccg PM me for more info
menace64
Posted: Wed May 16, 2007 12:21 am
TheHobbit13 wrote:
why do you have hobbit intuition in there i thought you couldn’t cancel a skirmish invovling the RB.. or do you use it for the +3

It’s just a really good strength pump (show me another +3 for 1 and I’ll show you a rhino that can ride a bicycle).
Riddle 9
When I came to Abraham I let him live just a moment longer. When I came to Moses I saved his life more than once. But the salmon... I regret to say I had a hand in its death.

Who am I?
yerkamig
Posted: Wed May 16, 2007 2:03 am
Cheers To Bilbo! Cheers

I love this deck so I’ll comment as much as I can. Let me see if I get this right. You exert Bilbo with Consorting to remove most of the twilight from Sudden Fury, ect., then instead of healing at sanctuaries you remove burdens with Extrodinary Resilience.

I think this is a tricky tightrope to walk considering Bilbo’s only an 8 resistance. You only have the ability to remove 4 burdens before you have to start recycling this card by adding burdens (BP, Twofoot). That’s not enough considering you could easily add 3 burdens per turn once set up (and not facing a corruption deck).

Also considering that Bilbo won’t be taking any wounds, you have a lot of healing cards (eight). I suggest that you take the twelve cards you have devoted to healing and burden removal and replace them with a small 6 card Home and Hearth loop. Here:

Home and Hearth x4
Pippin Hobbit of Some Intelligence x1 (non starting)
Make Haste x1

The Home and HEarth plays for free and waits for Pippin to show up. You can discard Make Haste if you see it early and then BP or Twofoot it later. Then you can start poppin Pippin down and back to remove 4 or 5 burdens at a time.

And you can heal with the same card at Dwellings if you have some site control (which is wise in a solo deck). Either run Forestguls on the Shadow side or add another Pippin and either Thror’s Map or Pressing On.

I know this is a big chunk of your deck, but I have considered building this. So let’s bounce it until it works. Wink
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:05 am
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
menace64 wrote:
TheHobbit13 wrote:

It’s just a really good strength pump (show me another +3 for 1 and I’ll show you a rhino that can ride a bicycle).

Still sharp, but that costs 0 Wink
sweet deck! GP
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:46 am
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
Very neat deck, but I would highly recommend finding a way to get a couple Salt from the Shire in there, as they can help with corruption by providing either a resistance boost or peeling off burdens. With his very high vitality, a couple Nine-fingered Frodo and the Ring of Doom or Sorry About Everything are good alternatives, since they can use that high resistance (and this deck’s extensive healing) to remove burdens as well.

Just some suggestions, though. It’s a good deck as is, but it wouldn’t hurt, I don’t think, to take out a little healing for some of the cards above. Up to you.

GP for a neat deck!
Last edited by DáinIronfoot on Wed May 16, 2007 9:08 am; edited 2 times in totalBest regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
lem0nhead
Posted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:57 am
Everyone knows is for unbound hobbits DI or it would be too good just like you showed in your example.
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:06 am
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
lem0nhead wrote:
Everyone knows is for unbound hobbits DI or it would be too good just like you showed in your example.

Crap. Missed that entirely.

Nevermind! Embarassed
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Expanded