LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
Thranduil
Posted: Fri May 18, 2007 9:56 am
Sorry my spelling and wording was a bit off, it was quite a bit to type!

But I think you should give me the benefit of the doubt, especially as I liked your capturing/rescuing mechanic! Razz

When the Shire cards from White Council come out, some of the Locking/Unlocking will make a lot more sense (I hope), but it’s actually not dissimilar from Eowyn, Northwoman or Stewards’ Legacy or Into the Caves or any other cards that ’cancel’ game text, it’s just more developed and more defined.

Thanks for all your reviews. GP

EDIT: By the way, part of the point of these instruments is that they each match up to a Dwarf with locked text, so, by using the ability on the drum, you can end up Locking Bombur’s game text.

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)
Thranduil
Posted: Fri May 18, 2007 2:23 pm
Am I going to get anymore on any of this?
Any more thoughts on cards, keywords, mechanics or concepts?

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Foresight
Posted: Fri May 18, 2007 2:29 pm
I really do think your Locked/Unlocked keywords are great! It might complicate the game for newer players (and younger ones), that’s why I felt you should scrap it. But if it were to come out on a shelf some day, I’d buy the cards with this mechanic, because it’d beat the cards from previous sets! You’d pretty much have to be facing somebody else that is using cards from your set to get an even matchup. As with newer keywords, it’s best to make sure that they can adapt nicely into the scheme of things, I think this unlocked/locked concept is something that would be/should be saved if all other blocks/sets rotate out. Reason? You can lock your opponent’s cards and they can’t unlock them because no cards from the older sets have your locked/unlocked keywords or utilize them. I’d say this set’s turning out to be pretty interesting, and even though I don’t get the name of some of your cards, they look fun! Dwarven instruments, who would’ve known?! Very Happy
In his eyes was the look of a hunted beast seeking some gap in the ring of his enemies. Men
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Fri May 18, 2007 4:16 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
Thranduil wrote:
I can tell you’re entirely unconvinced. Never mind, I’ll just have to try and convince you with some more instruments:

1 Clarinet Dwarven
Possession • Instrument
Bearer must be a Dwarf.
Bearer is Unlocked while you can spot 3 threats.
Fellowship: If bearer is Bifur or Bofur, Lock a Dwarven tale until the regroup phase to heal X Dwarves, where X is the number of Dwarven instruments you can spot.
... Bifur and Bofur went out too, and came back with clarinets they had left among the walking sticks.
H1 U 13
needs the subtitle instrument of torture

1 Viol Dwarven
Possession • Instrument
Bearer must be a Dwarf.
Bearer is Unlocked while you have 4 cards in hand.
Fellowship: If bearer is Balin or Dwalin, Lock a Dwarven tale until the regroup phase to draw a card.
They came back with viols as big as themselves...
H1 U 60
[/b
[b] ...

2 • Dwarf Drum Dwarven
Possession • Instrument
Bearer must be a Dwarf.
Bearer is Unlocked while he has 2 or more vitality.
Skirmish: If bearer is Bombur, exert him and spot X Dwarven instruments to make a Dwarf strength +X (limit once per phase?).
... Bombur produced a drum from the hall...
H1 R 23
And another example of a Locked Dwarf:

3 • Dwalin, Unexpected Guest Dwarven
Str: 7
Vit: 3
Res: 6
While you can spot a Dwarf, Dwalin’s twilight cost is -1.
Locked: Fellowship: Discard a Dwarven possession borne by Dwalin to play a Dwarven tale from your draw deck.
As soon as the door was opened, he pushed inside, just as if he had been expected.
H1 C 22
cool!

0 • Homecoming Dwarven
Condition • Support Area
Tale.
At the start of the fellowship phase, you may spot 3 threats and exert a Dwarf to Unlock a Dwarven card until the regroup phase.
’I am Thorin son of Thrain son of Thror King Under the Mountain! I return!’
H1 R 39

cool
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
Thranduil
Posted: Sat May 19, 2007 5:59 pm
Foresight wrote:
I really do think your Locked/Unlocked keywords are great! It might complicate the game for newer players (and younger ones), that’s why I felt you should scrap it. But if it were to come out on a shelf some day, I’d buy the cards with this mechanic, because it’d beat the cards from previous sets! You’d pretty much have to be facing somebody else that is using cards from your set to get an even matchup. As with newer keywords, it’s best to make sure that they can adapt nicely into the scheme of things, I think this unlocked/locked concept is something that would be/should be saved if all other blocks/sets rotate out. Reason? You can lock your opponent’s cards and they can’t unlock them because no cards from the older sets have your locked/unlocked keywords or utilize them. I’d say this set’s turning out to be pretty interesting, and even though I don’t get the name of some of your cards, they look fun! Dwarven instruments, who would’ve known?! Very Happy

I’m afraid I disagree with you. My Locked/Unlocked is not like site control. If you’re playing someone with a site control deck using Fellowship or War of the Ring block cards only, there’s absolutely nothing you can do about it. With the example above of spider’s web, there’s loads you can do about it, for example discard the possession. For other cards like events you could cancel them, you can take advantage of them or you can discard them from your opponent’s hand, all ways of dealing with such cards without using the keywords. With a mechanic like site control, there is no way out, you either have cards in your deck that liberate sites, or you’re stuffed.

Thranduil
- Dream of the Endless

Thranduil
Posted: Sun May 20, 2007 3:57 pm
Obviously the first tactic for introducing something new is to make it sound as if it’s old (even if it isn’t) and not different in any way to whatever has been seen before it. I’m going to try now:

4 • Thorin, King In Exile Dwarven
Companion • Dwarf
Vit: 4
Res: 5
Locked: Thorin is strength +3 and damage +1.
... an enormously important dwarf... who was not at all pleased at falling flat on Bilbo’s mat...
H1 C 54

Let’s take this card because it’s simple.
Now compare it to Arwen, daughter of Elrond, gimli, faithful companion and gandalf, the white wizard (one card from each of the three original blocks).

Currently, all there is to them is they’re stats. Gimli is a 2-cost guy with 6 strength and 3 vitality, who happens to be strength 8 while you have initiative (though he has a permanent damage bonus, but never mind). Arwen is also a 2-cost companion with 6 strength and 3 vitality who happens to be strength 9 while skirmishing a nazgul. Similarly, Gandalf is just a normal Gandalf, but is strength +3 if there are 3 in the pool.

Now, imagine Thorin’s text read: ’While bearing an instrument and an artifact, Thorin is strength +3 and damage +1.

There, doesn’t that feel better?

Now to advance through the instruments strategy. Here are some guys that you may have problems with:

4 • Balin, Dwarf-Lord Dwarven
Companion • Dwarf
Res: 8
Locked: Skirmish: Exert Balin to make a Dwarf strength +2 (limit +4).
’A little bear would suit me better, if it’s all the same to you, my good sir... But I don’t mind some cake - seed-cake if you have any.’
H1 C 4

And before you complain about the following trio, part of the point of locking the tales with the instruments is to have something different with the companions.

2 • Bifur, Unexpected Guest Dwarven
Companion • Dwarf
Str: 6
Locked: Regroup: Discard a Dwarven tale and exert Bifur to make an opponent discard a Shadow card from their support area.
’And raspberry jam and apple tart,’ said Bifur.
H1 C 7

2 • Bofur, Unexpected Guest Dwarven
Companion • Dwarf
Locked: Maneuver: Discard a Dwarven tale and exert Bofur twice to make a Shadow player return one of their minions to their hand.
’And mince pies and cheese,’ said Bofur.
H1 C 9

2 • Bombur, Unexpected Guest Dwarven
Companion • Dwarf
Str: 5
Locked: Regroup: Discard a Dwarven tale and exert Bombur to heal another Dwarf for each Dwarven instrument you can spot.
’And pork pie and salad,’ said Bombur.
H1 C 11

Well, that’s your lot for the moment. Enjoy.

Thranduil
- Dream of the Endless

DáinIronfoot
Posted: Sun May 20, 2007 5:10 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
Thranduil wrote:
4 • Thorin, King In Exile Dwarven
Companion • Dwarf
Res: 5
Locked: Thorin is strength +3 and damage +1.
... an enormously important dwarf... who was not at all pleased at falling flat on Bilbo’s mat...
H1 C 54

I understand. Again, though, I think that’s too big a boost. I’d do just strength +2 and damage +1 instead.

Thranduil wrote:
4 • Balin, Dwarf-Lord Dwarven
Companion • Dwarf
Res: 8
Locked: Skirmish: Exert Balin to make a Dwarf strength +2 (limit +4).
’A little bear would suit me better, if it’s all the same to you, my good sir... But I don’t mind some cake - seed-cake if you have any.’
H1 C 4

It works, but my only "problem" with this strategy is that it takes an awful lot of work to unlock all this stuff, and without them, you’ve got companions that come out very inferior to companions like Durin III, Dwarven Lord.

Thranduil wrote:
2 • Bifur, Unexpected Guest Dwarven
Companion • Dwarf
Locked: Regroup: Discard a Dwarven tale and exert Bifur to make an opponent discard a Shadow card from their support area.
’And raspberry jam and apple tart,’ said Bifur.
H1 C 7

And again, there are loads of 6/3 Dwarves that people would probably use before this. I know his ability makes him great when you unlock him, but having to work so hard at it really hurts him. If you aren’t able to draw an instrument early or unlock him some other way, you’re REALLY suffering early on. After that, he’s great, but it’s a big negative, I think.

Thranduil wrote:
2 • Bofur, Unexpected Guest Dwarven
Companion • Dwarf
Locked: Maneuver: Discard a Dwarven tale and exert Bofur twice to make a Shadow player return one of their minions to their hand.
’And mince pies and cheese,’ said Bofur.
H1 C 9

Good ability, same thoughts on locking.

Thranduil wrote:
2 • Bombur, Unexpected Guest Dwarven
Companion • Dwarf
Locked: Regroup: Discard a Dwarven tale and exert Bombur to heal another Dwarf for each Dwarven instrument you can spot.
’And pork pie and salad,’ said Bombur.
H1 C 11

Ditto.

Again, I DO like these, and I don’t mean to beat you up. But if you’re going to make these guys really work, I think they need to have a small ability that is unlocked all the time and a better one that is normally locked, or else they’d suffer early on without some lucky card drawing. No way I’d have any of them in the starting fellowship as they are now. Sorry man, but that’s how I feel. Confused
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Mon May 21, 2007 2:34 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
*agrees with everything dain says* the payoff is good but does the end justify the means?
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
Thranduil
Posted: Mon May 21, 2007 2:40 pm
I completely understand you’re issue, as I was worried about it myself.
In a partial answer firstly, the Dwalin helps you get set up, as he plays tales from your draw deck (although you’re obviously still stuck on the fact that you can’t use his ability yet).
Secondly, here’s one card:

0 Dark Business Dwarven
Event • Fellowship
Exert a Dwarf to play a Dwarven possession from your discard pile (or a Dwarven instrument from your draw deck).
The dark came into the room from the little window that opened in the side of The Hill...
H1 C 16

That appears to be the only Dwarven fetching event in the first set, but they still have loads of card drawing like:

0 Face of Danger Dwarven
Event • Fellowship
Spot a Dwarf companion and add a threat to draw 2 cards.
’We shall soon before the break of day start on our long journey, a journey from which some of us, perhaps all of us... may never return.’
H1 C 28

0 Into the Fire Dwarven
Event • Fellowship
Spot a Dwarf companion and add a threat to reveal the top 4 cards of your draw deck. Take into hand any Free Peoples card revealed and discard the rest.
Thorin came last - and he was not caught unawares.
H1 C 40

3 • Oin, Faithful Companion Dwarven
Companion • Dwarf
Oin’s twilight cost is -1 in your starting fellowship.
Fellowship: Play a Dwarven possession on Oin to draw a card.
... Oin and Gloin were their names... and off they marched with their broad hands stuck in their gold and silver belts to join the others.
H1 R 46

And, thirdly, you’re probably right, you wouldn’t put those guys in your starting fellowship. I’d go with Dwalin, Unexpected Guest (above), then either that Oin I’ve just spoiled, or either one of the Gloins in the set (one of which is probably in my other thread, but I can’t be bothered to find it, and probably neither can you) or Kili and Fili (which I have yet to spoil) and put the trio above into my draw deck along with some Dark Businesses and loads of instruments. Also, in my next set of cards, you’ll see a little twist showing that you don’t need to be Locked to play music!

Thanks, Dain, for all your reviews, and you deserve a GP.

Thranduil
Last edited by Thranduil on Wed May 23, 2007 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Thranduil
Posted: Mon May 21, 2007 4:01 pm
I’m incredibly bored, so I’m putting up some more cards.

2 • Kili, Young Adventurer Dwarven
Companion • Dwarf
Fili’s twilight cost is -1.
While you can spot Fili, Kili is strength +3.
’Kili at your service!’ said the one, ’And Fili!’ added the other, and they both swept off their blue hoods and bowed.
H1 U 41

2 • Fili, Young Adventurer Dwarven
Companion • Dwarf
Kili’s twilight cost is -1.
While you can spot Kili, Fili is damage +2.
’Fili is the youngest, and still has the best sight.’
H1 U 30

1 Fiddle Dwarven
Possession • Instrument
Bearer must be a Dwarf.
While bearer is Locked, he is strength +2.
Maneuver: If bearer is Kili or Fili, Lock bearer until the regroup phase to take a Dwarven event into hand from your discard pile.
Fili and Fili rushed for their bags and brought back little fiddles...
H1 U 29

1 Flute Dwarven
Possession • Instrument
Bearer must be a Dwarf.
While bearer is Locked, he is damage +1.
Fellowship or Maneuver: If bearer is Dori, Ori or Nori, Lock bearer until the regroup phase to Unlock a Dwarven card until the regroup phase.
... Dori, Nori and Ori brought out flutes from somewhere inside their coats...
H1 C 31

A different angle for you there.

Thranduil
Last edited by Thranduil on Wed May 23, 2007 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards