LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG: Treachery and Deceit
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Mon May 21, 2007 2:38 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
sperzdechly wrote:
CG - you’re wrong about Whispers and Frenzy. You can spot a follower in your support area.
Ruling you mentioned says, that follower’s ability doesn’t work, while he/she is in support area.
Example - Uruviel -> site doesn’t gain forest until you transfer her on the companion. But you can spot her to use Frenzy or Meneldor (as sdpsc mentioned).

Moreover, look at the Orkish Assasin. His gametext is a bit different and clearly shows difference in spoting a follower in support area and on the companion.

Hmm...well, I can see the point about Frenzy. So that needs to be toned down a little. But...I still think that Whisper can’t be used with a non-transferred follower. Because the rulebook says "no effect on the game", not just that the special ability is unusable. So there’s cards that spot followers. That’s fine...it’s just an example of the Golden Rule (when a card contradicts the rules, follow the card).

On another note, it’s sad to see that LOTR is going you-know-where in a handbasket, but it’s even sadder that the D community is what’s fashioning that handbasket. Why is D trying to churn T&D out as fast as possible? Because there’s a horde of players who are screaming for a new set. They weren’t happy with the rushed release of RoS, and now they want T&D as fast as possible. People, be careful what you wish for.

D hasn’t consulted its playtesters very much. Why? Because if they did, as they normally do, T&D wouldn’t have been ready to print in a month. People, a quick release like this is NOT normal. And those players who have been pushing for the release of T&D, for the release of new spoilers, are just getting a broken set in return.
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
Thranduil
Posted: Mon May 21, 2007 2:43 pm
Anyway, there’s another problem with Whispers, as I think I pointed out in the spoiler. The rules clearly state that ’Followers cannot bear other cards’. So where does that leave Whispers in the Dark?

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)
Apopatos
Posted: Mon May 21, 2007 2:50 pm
Mumak Commander, giant among the swertings can be used in every archery deck as well, he costs 6 just like Gothmog does, the same for desert lord and with a lot of other cards. Are they broken too?
Also, if we check how easy is for [evil men] and Uruk-hai to control sites today then the old Gothmog is by far more dangerous since he wounds, he is fierce and does not put 3 wounds on your minions like the new one.
Finally if we check cultural enforce in general then what could we say about nazguls? Every single one does a different thing, adds burden, threat, changes site, discards condition. Are they broken? Why is so bad if someone has some good reasons to use multi-shadow? For that reason there are cards like Argument ready to hand and let fly!
raptor22
Posted: Mon May 21, 2007 2:55 pm
Apopatos wrote:
Mumak Commander can be used in every archery deck as well, he costs 6 just like Gothmog does, the same for desert lord and with a lot of other cards. Are they broken too?

Uh, I assume you mean Mumak Commander, Giant Among the Swertings not the old one from ROTK, but I agree, I personally don’t think that Gothmog is nearly as broken as some people seem to think, and deffinatly not as bad as lots of other cards in this set.
Apopatos
Posted: Mon May 21, 2007 2:57 pm
raptor22 wrote:
Apopatos wrote:
Mumak Commander can be used in every archery deck as well, he costs 6 just like Gothmog does, the same for desert lord and with a lot of other cards. Are they broken too?

Uh, I assume you mean Mumak Commander, Giant Among the Swertings not the old one from ROTK, but I agree, I personally don’t think that Gothmog is nearly as broken as some people seem to think, and deffinatly not as bad as lots of other cards in this set.

Yes, I corrected it!
Thranduil
Posted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:11 pm
Apopatos wrote:
Mumak Commander, giant among the swertings can be used in every archery deck as well, he costs 6 just like Gothmog does, the same for desert lord and with a lot of other cards. Are they broken too?
Also, if we check how easy is for [evil men] and Uruk-hai to control sites today then the old Gothmog is by far more dangerous since he wounds, he is fierce and does not put 3 wounds on your minions like the new one.
Finally if we check cultural enforce in general then what could we say about nazguls? Every single one does a different thing, adds burden, threat, changes site, discards condition. Are they broken? Why is so bad if someone has some good reasons to use multi-shadow? For that reason there are cards like Argument ready to hand and let fly!

All very good points. In all honesty, I wouldn’t have printed a card like giant among the swertings or desert lord without serious cultural enforcement. Are they broken, probably not, but both of them require 2 exertions for 2 wounds, while gothmog does 3 just by living.
Nazgul, however, are a different issue. Many of them are culturally enforced, especially the ROTK ones, and a prime example of one that wasn’t and got X-listed for it is the original Ulaire Nertea, messenger of Dol Guldur. Also, if there was ever a shadow strategy to promote multiple cultures, it should be Nazgul.

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Apopatos
Posted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:20 pm
Thranduil wrote:
Also, if there was ever a shadow strategy to promote multiple cultures, it should be Nazgul.
Thranduil

That’s totally subjective...
Thranduil
Posted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:23 pm
Apopatos wrote:
Thranduil wrote:
Also, if there was ever a shadow strategy to promote multiple cultures, it should be Nazgul.
Thranduil

That’s totally subjective...

You’re right!

Thanks for the debate, it’s always good to have a good argument! GP

Thranduil
- Dream of the Endless

Apopatos
Posted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:27 pm
Thranduil wrote:
Thanks for the debate, it’s always good to have a good argument! :gp:Thranduil

My pleasure!
Arguments that do not end with fights are rare but always welcome!
raptor22
Posted: Mon May 21, 2007 5:26 pm
Thranduil wrote:
In all honesty, I wouldn’t have printed a card like giant among the swertings or desert lord without serious cultural enforcement. Are they broken, probably not, but both of them require 2 exertions for 2 wounds, while gothmog does 3 just by living.

Not entirely true. Gothmog also adds 3 to the fellowship archery total, which can be worse than two exertions. And both those guys get to choose where the wounds, while Gothmog doesn’t.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG: Treachery and Deceit