LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

16%
  [ 1 ]  16%

16%
  [ 1 ]  16%

66%
  [ 4 ]  66%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 6
Memnarch Mastermind
Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:55 am
--- description ---
This article is about the Plague Bringer Deck, including decklist, strategy summary, and a battle debrief against a UB-Dimir-Deck.
--- end description ---

1.The Deck

Creature:(15)
4x Bringer of the White Dawn
3x Bringer of the Black Dawn
2x Bringer of the Blue Dawn
2x Summoner’s Egg
2x Dosan the Falling Leaf
2x Joiner’s Adept

Artifact:(10)
4x Plague Boiler
4x Voyager Staff
2x Sword of Kaldra

Instant / Sorcery:(12)
4x Dark Ritual
4x Channel the Suns
4x Recollect

Enchantment:(3)
3x Leyline of Lifeforce(from the Guildpact-Expansion)

Lands:(24)
10x Swamp
10x Forest
4x Overgrown Tomb

Sideboard:(15)
3x Leyline of the Void(Against Reanimator Twisted Evil )
3x Splinter
2x Szadek, Lord of Secrets(To use for Summoner’s Egg)
4x Vigor Mortis(If you Boil too hot Twisted Evil )
3x Rolling spoil(Weeny-Killer Twisted Evil )

2.What’s the core?

Imagine you bomb down your opponents permanents while punching him for 5. Thanks to Plague Boiler, Bringer of the White dawn and Voyager Staff this is not as difficult as it seems. The core strategy is to destroy all nonland permanents while holding a valuable attacker in play with Voyager Staff, and the White Bringer makes it possible to return everything you need to do this from your graveyard(and that are actually just the Staff and the Boiler). You attack, remove your bringer and ignite the Boiler end of turn, just to attack next turn returning the Boiler back to game and attack once more. If it is critical, ignite the boiler, if it is not, remove a plague counter from it. Control in a funny form.

Use the Summoner’s Egg to cast further bringer(the Blue one is cool because you have always a hand full of those cards you need)or creatures like Szadek. Use your Joiner adept to ensure the appearance of the Bringers and always keep in mind what you do with the Boiler! It’s a ticking clock with adjustable timing.

Sword of Kaldra is a good choice when you have enough Mana, however, you can return it from your graveyard to play and equipp your creature then. +5/+5 is not bad, and it makes any Bringer to a 10/10 trampling beast.
Call it Finishing move...

The Leyline of Lifeforce is a good thing as long as the Plague Boiler hasn’t gone the first time, but the Leyline should give you the Chance to make it so far that you don’t need to cast creature spells any more(Dosan!).

3.Watching the Deck

To test this deck I challenged my friend who had a quite expensive Dimir Deck.
TURN 1
I started the game with a proxed Leyline and brought a forest into play, tapped it and dropped a voyager staff. He put a Gemstone mine into play and was finished.
TURN 2
I drew a Bringer of the Blue dawn, holding a Channel the Suns and a dark ritual. I put a swamp into play, not sure but i took my chance and played a ritual, not countered. So I was able to play a Channel the suns and casted successfully a Bringer of the Blue dawn. Finished with one hand card left.
He did quite a job with a Glimpse the unthinkable on turn two, but that was all. It took about six lands, a Voyager staff and both Joiner’s Adepts, but also a plague Boiler.
TURN 3
Seeing that my opponent smiled happy, I could not let this sit on myself. Drawing two cards at the beginning of my upkeep and one regular in the draw phase, I held four cards in my hand again, putting a forest and dosan into play. Attack for 5 in turn three hurts somehow, and it brought me a smile back onto my face.
My Opponent casted a sol ring and brought a Circu, dimir lobotomist into play, and the smile upon my face decreased again.
TURN 4
Drawing two additional cards, the right ones! Like a sign of destiny, there came a Channel the Suns and a forest, in the draw phase the Bringer of the White dawn. Time for some Rock’n’Roll! Thanks to Dosan, who made the counters propably held by my old friend worthless, I was able to cast the White Bringer, and attack for another 5 Points(No block because Circu was too worthy to be sacrificed, he said).
On his turn, he brought Uyo, Silent prophet, into play. Ouch - time! When he copies the Glimpse, I can go home, but he didn’t, not yet.
TURN 5
I thought it would be wise to return the Plague boiler back to play and so I did it. This happened at the beginning of my upkeep, and so the Plague Boiler came with a Plague counter on it. And I drew three cards. Which options did I have? Attack!!! And Uyo was gone, he had only 4 Life left.
The Details of the further match are irrelevant, but the bringer killed him with ease.

Second match run worse, because Szadek came on turn 3 and I had nothing to defeat, but turn three went to my advantage with a single card left in my library. Whoo! Laughing

This match had shown that it can work quickly, but there are still some improvements to make. However, things that alter this deck are additions of a personal note, to me it seems to be quite good working.
The Summoner’s Eggs are pretty good, but they need a boiler.
This was not the only match, but I thought it would be a good example to show off waht it could do to a mighty opponent.

Try it, you’ll be surprised about the enormous fun factor the plague boiler has to offer. It’s a recommendation from the Ravnica-Set, test it yourself!
Ilvaldi
Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:12 pm
Memnarch, interesting idea! I have to say, it's very creative, very original!

I like that.

Next, it's fun to play with--who wouldn't fell good playing a bringer on turn five or shorter?

I like that.

But , what about kill spells which foil your plans on the bringers? Eradicate, terminate, and the new ones: mortify and putrefy, your creatures don't stand a chance.

It's fragile.

You can try to defend that if you want, but...

I built that deck idea last year.

And, it was better.

I screwed over the egg, took out the white, the falling leaf, and, in replacement, added in a leafcaller, a green and a red bringer to make the deck more versatile. No black mana necesarry. With that said, I replaced the rest with a genju of the realm, pentad prism, energy chamber, solarion, and clearwater goblet.

The difference between your deck and mine is that my deck's goal is having fun, but yours veers more towards winning. My deck succeeds in its goal of being enjoyable by not making it broken and being creative. Your deck however, fails in a sense that it has many flaws and that it does not meeet the standards of other decks like grail's land destruction.
Memnarch Mastermind
Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:23 pm
Hello Ilvaldi, thanks for your critics, but I have to admit you didn't get the point.

As the deck name just says "Plague Bringer", the core strategy is to keep a running Plague Boiler. Therefore, the white bringer is necessary, and as you said, cards like Eradicate or other creature-killer are lethal, that is of course the reason why they are found in decks, isn't it?

Though I am no bloody greenhorn, and I know that there are some points that make this deck quite risky, but it is all evadeable.

You were talking about Eradicate, what about the Voyager staff?

You said your deck was better and its idea was the same. Well, I don't think you had a Plague Boiler at this time, which doesn't mean your deck was bad. But I think you did not want insult me when saying my deck veers more towards winning while yours was much fun to play.

Another point I want to talk about is your suggestion that there is no black mana required. Well, it is. Look at all those cards. Why should I replace the Bringer of the White dawn? He fits perfectly and with black mana any bringer could come as early as turn two.

Keep in mind that every deck is there to have fun, and I am not angry or insulted anyway, but I just think your taste of Magic-decks is just something else than mine, that is were your critics fail.

Still I am saying thank you for your opinion and I hope you did not misunderstand me.
inresponse
Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:21 pm
I really dislike this deck, from a casual as well as from a competitive perspective. Th deck is weak overall and needs to draw channel the suns + dark rit + bringer to have any kind of game the first few turns, and when it finally drops something, it's just a bringer, which dies to basically every removal I can think of in most formats. plague boiler does nothing versus control and will really only succeed in taking out your own bringers. The white bringer brings back the boiler, but I would rather just play mindslaver and go for an inifinite lock. Plus, the grammar was terrible. I'm sorry to bring it up, but it really was bad.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest