LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG: Age's End
How playable is The One Ring, The Great Ring?

5 (Best)  
84%
  [ 27 ]  84%

9%
  [ 3 ]  9%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

3%
  [ 1 ]  3%

1 (Worst)  
3%
  [ 1 ]  3%

Total Votes : 32
Celebrimbor
Posted: Mon May 28, 2007 2:07 pm
I like this ring. Has no vitality/strength/res. bonuses, but the text is sweet.

was hoping the picture would be from the movies. Confused
My Trading List
Popcorn is not gooey like fat, and also not crunchy like potato chips, but crispy like lettuce which makes it a healthy snack. Popcorn
Aragorn, King in Exile
Posted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:14 pm
I believe it is.

The pic is from a book that shows the picture of The Ring.
maxidoodle
Posted: Mon May 28, 2007 10:37 pm
Deathbymonkeys wrote:
I would never use this with any of the Alternate Ringbearers. And it’s powerful but nowhere near broken.

Well, I can see that several people on here have used fallible logic to make a case that that this card is indeed not broken, but I guess I have to make an attempt like so many other people have to show how broken this thing is. Either people are oblivious to the fact that this thing makes ring-bound hobbits invincible, or they just don’t want to believe that it’s broken.

I’ll throw this in my Ring-Bound hobbits deck and show you just how broken it really is.

(This is a typical scenario, not a "perfect" one)

Companions -

Sam, Bearer of Great Need (w/ The One Ring, the Great Ring)
Frodo, Frenzied Fighter
Bilbo, Aged Ring-bearer

Support Area -

3 A Promise
Daddy Twofoot, Next Door neighbor
Humble Homestead (w/ 2 tokens)
The Gaffer, Master Gardener

Possessions -

Sting, weapon of heritage (on Sam)
Hobbit Sword (on Frodo)
Phial of Galadriel, Star-Glass (on Sam)

In Hand -

No Visitors
Concerning Hobbits
4 Shadow cards

Discard Pile -

Concerning Hobbits

Misc -

0 burdens and 1 wound on Sam
1 wound on Frodo
3 wounds on Bilbo
3 total forest/dwelling on adventure path
Shadow is playing on site 9 - Slag Mounds

Gameplay:

Shadow player plays:
(this probably could never happen, but oh well)

Mumak Commander, giant among swertings
Sauron, The Lord of the Rings (exhausted)
Ulaire Enquea, Thrall of the One (exhausted)
The Mouth of Sauron, Lieutenant of Barad-Dur
Host of Udun
Porter Troll

Maneuver: Add 1 burden to drop daddy twofoot on Bilbo. Take Concerning Hobbits into hand from discard pile.

Add 1 burden to drop The Gaffer on Frodo. Frodo is healed.

Shadow player exerts Mumak Commander twice to exert Frodo twice (Frodo now has 2 wounds).

Archery: (nothing)

Assignment: Shadow player assigns the Mouth of Sauron to Frodo.

Ulaire Enquea assigned to Bilbo
Sauron assigned to Sam.

Shadow Player assigns:

Mumak commander to Sam
Porter Troll to Sam
Host of Udun to Sam

Skirmish:

Bilbo -

At the start of the skirmish, remove two burdens. (Sam now has 0 burdens).
Play No visitors from hand. Daddy twofoot goes back to support area and skirmish is canceled.

Frodo -

Frodo is 9 on The Mouth of Sauron’s 9. Frodo takes one wound. (because frodo is now exhausted, the effect of A Promise is ignored).

Sam - (The total strength of the minions on sam on sam is 72)

Play concerning hobbits. Sam is now 9 strength.
Repeat. Sam is now 12 strength.
Discard Phial of Galadriel - Sauron is no longer Fierce, Enduring, or Damage +2.
(The total strength of the minions on Sam now becomes 64).
Add a burden with the ring’s effect - Sam is now 15 strength and has 1 burden.
Repeat - Sam is now 18 strength and has 2 burdens.
Repeat - Sam is now 21 strength and has 3 burdens.
Repeat - Sam is now 24 strength and has 4 burdens.
Repeat - Sam is now 27 strength and has 5 burdens.
Repeat - Sam is now 30 strength and has 6 burdens.
Repeat - Sam is now 33 strength and has 7 burdens.

The shadow player has no skirmish actions. Sam takes two wounds. (Sam is now exhausted).

Porter Troll is fierce.

Assignment - Porter Troll is assigned to Bilbo.

Skirmish -

Remove Two Burdens.
Discard Humble Homestead. Skirmish is cancelled.

Free People’s Win.

There is no way that ANY ring-bearer should be able to survive that. This proves that the card is beyond overpowered and extremely broken.
My deck of doom:
One Combo to Rule them All

maxidoodle's Haves/Wants
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Mon May 28, 2007 10:52 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
You’ve got 7 burdens on Sam. All ToTo has to do is heal once, and that’s 8 burdens, enough to corrupt him. He starts at 5 resistance, then is +3 resistance for spotting hobbits. That’s a corruption right there. Or did Enquea just become somehow useless? (I’m not quite sure how...)

Anyhow, all the Shadow has to do to avoid this is play Cavern Entrance as Site 9. Or whatever site that they want to kill the RB on. Recycle it with a ranger site manipulation freeps, perhaps? Anyway, that nullifies the skirmish ability.
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
maxidoodle
Posted: Mon May 28, 2007 11:08 pm
ToTo can’t heal because the skirmish was cancelled. The freeps player always gets the first skirmish action, the skirmish is cancelled, thus leaving ToTo no opportunity to heal (he can only use his effect when skirmishing).

Besides, the site 9 I used was an example. Odds are, there may not be cavern entrance at the site this card is being abused on.

My deck could still easily survive if cavern entrance was played. Plus, the shadow is so exaggerated in my example, it’s practically impossible to setup in the exact manner described.

Either way, this still shows how broken the ring is.

If it had a cap on it, like +6 or maybe, MAYBE +9, it would be fair.
Last edited by maxidoodle on Mon May 28, 2007 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in totalMy deck of doom:

maxidoodle's Haves/Wants
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Mon May 28, 2007 11:12 pm
Look, if the Shadow wants to stop this card, they can drop Cavern Entrance at the site. Because they know that they’re going to be dropping a bomb that site, they’re ready. And they’re planning.

The only way for the freeps to get around this is by making Frodo a tank. But even then, I think that you’d run into problems. Especially at Steward’s Tomb. Slip that in there, and no burden removal for the hobbitses. And you can go right on to corrupt them, or do whatever.

Anyway, hobbits were close to broken anyway. Don’t tell me that Sudden Fury isn’t the most powerful card you’ve laid eyes upon. Sudden Fury could easily do the exact same thing. Should it be banned?
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
maxidoodle
Posted: Mon May 28, 2007 11:23 pm
Sudden Fury is nowhere close to being broken. It requires you to lose skirmishes, and can easily be discarded by most shadow setups. It would take too much effort to truly abuse it.

No Visitors, Humble Homestead, and Bilbo, Aged-Ring-bearer are more broken than Sudden Fury.

Also, Steward’s Tomb is a KING-BLOCK site. It cannot be used, unless it’s movie block or king-block play, which I couldn’t use this deck (or ring) for anyway.

And, like I’ve said before, my deck is well prepared for Cavern Entrance. I’ve been in many situations before where Cavern Entrance was played and they dropped a well-prepared aresenal on me, yet I’ve managed to escape with all three companions and only a few burdens.

The most powerful card I’ve laid my eyes upon is either Eowyn, Lady of Ithilien, Aragorn’s Bow, Ranger’s Longbow, or The One Ring, the Great Ring. Sudden Fury doesn’t even come close, nor do I use it in my hobbit deck.
My deck of doom:

maxidoodle's Haves/Wants
lem0nhead
Posted: Tue May 29, 2007 5:39 am
Ok havent been arsed to look through 7 pages so excuse me if this is repeated, although i have got the general idea from a few peoples comments. But i sum it up like this: Burdens can be removed too easily for certain decks. No limit str+3 is ridiculously good for an rb. OP.

I wont vote cos its stupid.

Love the idea of using the drawing as image and a ring that has no stat modifiers but gametext. Shame its silly gametext.
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
PorterTroll
Posted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:52 am
CarpeGuitarrem wrote:
Look, if the Shadow wants to stop this card, they can drop Cavern Entrance at the site. Because they know that they’re going to be dropping a bomb that site, they’re ready. And they’re planning.

The only way for the freeps to get around this is by making Frodo a tank. But even then, I think that you’d run into problems. Especially at Steward’s Tomb. Slip that in there, and no burden removal for the hobbitses. And you can go right on to corrupt them, or do whatever.

Anyway, hobbits were close to broken anyway. Don’t tell me that Sudden Fury isn’t the most powerful card you’ve laid eyes upon. Sudden Fury could easily do the exact same thing. Should it be banned?

First off, Sudden Fury is mediocre at best since, in essence it trades a wound for a strength +1 bonus, whoop de f$#ing do! This card is not at all good unless you have four copies out when the hobbit loses. And that right there is eight twilight, so is eight twilight worth +4 strength? I think not. And second, please stop reiterating the same points over and over!

Maxidoodles scenario clearly proves beyond a resonable doubt that this ring is broken. It is not even palpable to consider this card fair. Any single card that can allow a ring bearer to survive a 72 strength gang of beastly minions is broken beyond repair. What if they don’t have Cavern Entrance? Then what do you do? So now each player is required to carry a copy of it to every sancioned tourney and game just to tech against this ring? This is asinine. The most powerful card I’ve ever seen is The One Ring, The Great Ring and Eowyn, Lady of Ithilien.

I know for a fact that in my ring of players, this card, if not X-ed, will not see play due to its egregious crime against the once great game of LOTR.
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:11 pm
Maxidoodle, in case you haven’t noticed, Steward’s Tomb is being reprinted in T&D, with identical gametext. And it will hurt any deck that tries to remove burdens like crazy.
PorterTroll wrote:
Any single card that can allow a ring bearer to survive a 72 strength gang of beastly minions is broken beyond repair.

You mean...like Clever Hobbits? Should Solo Smeagol be banned?

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG: Age's End