LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG: Age's End
How playable is The One Ring, The Great Ring?

5 (Best)  
84%
  [ 27 ]  84%

9%
  [ 3 ]  9%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

3%
  [ 1 ]  3%

1 (Worst)  
3%
  [ 1 ]  3%

Total Votes : 32
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:34 pm
CarpeGuitarrem wrote:
PorterTroll wrote:
Any single card that can allow a ring bearer to survive a 72 strength gang of beastly minions is broken beyond repair.

You mean...like Clever Hobbits? Should Solo Smeagol be banned?

Clever Hobbits doesn’t do anything unless it has other cards to help it, unlike The Great Ring.

- AC
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead
PorterTroll
Posted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:37 pm
Eh? That is completely different. Clever Hobbits requires you to ditch conditions for the bonus, conditions are not innumerable. Ring Bound Hobbit decks can remove burdens like mad. I’ve known Maxidoodle’s hobbit deck to remove as many as eight burdens per turn! (and yes, it is standard legal)

I know solo smeagol uses a large number of conditions, but they will run out eventually. When Smeagol discards conditions, he can’t just play ten of them again next turn, which is why clever hobbits is fair. The One Ring, The Great Ring, when combined with ring bound burden peeling hobbits has essentially no limit to how much strength it can add. Maxidoodle’s example speaks for itself. Clever hobbits has a detrimental effect, you must ditch conditions which are not very easily retreived, but this ring has virtually no downside. Clever Hobbits is completely different, it has a huge cost, discarding a condition is a much steeper price than adding a burden, especially if the burden added is going on a ring bound hobbit deck. Rolling Eyes
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:50 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
Wait...adding burdens is no longer a steep cost? There’s a reason they reprinted Steward’s Tomb.

I think that the only balance this card needs to to require the Ring-bearer wearing the One Ring to use the ability, maybe tone it down to a +2, and then that should do it. I suspect we’ll see some cards that trigger off of the RB wearing the One Ring, and I’m looking forward to it.

You laughed at Uruk Spy and Too Much Attention. I’ll agree, those aren’t powerful cards. Yet. But metas change.
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:52 pm
Steward’s is insanely overpowered with the Shadows site path (especially as a sanctuary!!!). It would’ve been balanced if it just prevented burdens from being removed.

- AC
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead
PorterTroll
Posted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:59 pm
CarpeGuitarrem wrote:
Wait...adding burdens is no longer a steep cost? There’s a reason they reprinted Steward’s Tomb.

I think that the only balance this card needs to to require the Ring-bearer wearing the One Ring to use the ability, maybe tone it down to a +2, and then that should do it. I suspect we’ll see some cards that trigger off of the RB wearing the One Ring, and I’m looking forward to it.

You laughed at Uruk Spy and Too Much Attention. I’ll agree, those aren’t powerful cards. Yet. But metas change.

Can you honestly say that adding a burden, or even two or three will harm a ring bound hobbits deck in the least? No! They will be gone again in a phase or two.

If they made the skirmish ability only available when the RB was wearing the ring, then it would help the balance of the card. But to truly make it fair, they would have to make the ability "limit +6" or maybe, MAYBE "limit +9". Anything more than that is rediculous.

I continue to laugh at Uruk Spy and Too much attention, they are weak, crappy rares that will never be worth more than the paper they’re printed on. I mean, come on, do you really think a new meta is coming that will carry these cards to the top of everyone’s "gotta have!" list? There isn’t a snowballs chance in hell that will happen.
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Tue May 29, 2007 4:33 pm
PorterTroll wrote:
CarpeGuitarrem wrote:

Can you honestly say that adding a burden, or even two or three will harm a ring bound hobbits deck in the least? No! They will be gone again in a phase or two.

Not at Steward’s Tomb. And a ranger Freeps can easily cycle that puppy through the site path.
Quote:
If they made the skirmish ability only available when the RB was wearing the ring, then it would help the balance of the card. But to truly make it fair, they would have to make the ability "limit +6" or maybe, MAYBE "limit +9". Anything more than that is rediculous.

Okay, should we limit all of these other cards with the potential for insane bonuses? X Sauron, because he’s so strong (despite his appropriate cost)? Limit Sudden Fury? If it’s costed properly, an insane bonus is acceptable.

Making it only available if the RB is wearing the Ring means that now cards that trigger off of the RB wearing the Ring come to prominence (like Southern Spies). Why? Because before there was no reliable way to make sure the RB would wear the Ring. But now, if you have to have it for the strength bonus...
Quote:
I continue to laugh at Uruk Spy and Too much attention, they are weak, crappy rares that will never be worth more than the paper they’re printed on. I mean, come on, do you really think a new meta is coming that will carry these cards to the top of everyone’s "gotta have!" list? There isn’t a snowballs chance in hell that will happen.

And I’m sure they said the same about Steadfast Champion. Then along came Treebeard...
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
PorterTroll
Posted: Tue May 29, 2007 4:43 pm
I never said anything about getting rid of sudden fury. And no, I don’t think sauron is too strong since his cost is huge it balances him out. This ring, however, when paired with ring bound hobbits has basically NO COST! Burdens mean nothing for hobbits. And you shouldn’t have to play with rangers and cycle one site through the site path just to counter one card. If you have to go through such a huge measure to stop a card’s effect, there is no doubt that it is broken and I think you know that.
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Tue May 29, 2007 6:09 pm
PorterTroll wrote:
I never said anything about getting rid of sudden fury. And no, I don’t think sauron is too strong since his cost is huge it balances him out. This ring, however, when paired with ring bound hobbits has basically NO COST! Burdens mean nothing for hobbits. And you shouldn’t have to play with rangers and cycle one site through the site path just to counter one card. If you have to go through such a huge measure to stop a card’s effect, there is no doubt that it is broken and I think you know that.

Your argument basically boils down to...

In this specific deck, this card is undercosted.

But in every other deck, this card is NOT undercosted. Which means that we’ll have an interesting turn of events. For a short time, Ring-bound hobbits may become powerful. But then, we’ll have ways to counter Ring-bound hobbits. In which case play will shift to other decktypes. And it’ll all balance out.
AdultLink
Posted: Tue May 29, 2007 6:33 pm
The card is good, but legit. People are going crazy and trying to find x-list material in every card since there has been such a splurge lately. Ring of Doom is 10 times better than this card except for R-bound hobbits, and don’t try to tell me that just because hobbits have burden removal it’s broken... yeah, they have burden removal, but that also takes DECK SPACE! Gaahhh, I’m probably more tired of people on these forums going crazy over cards like this and the new Grond than I am about people at Decipher making cards that are NPE’s.
TheShyzle
Posted: Tue May 29, 2007 6:35 pm
I with you AL people are complaining about things they have not even played with. GP for you.
LOOK HERE:
http://lotrtcgdb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=5185

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG: Age's End