LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG: Age's End
How playable is The One Ring, The Great Ring?

5 (Best)  
84%
  [ 27 ]  84%

9%
  [ 3 ]  9%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

3%
  [ 1 ]  3%

1 (Worst)  
3%
  [ 1 ]  3%

Total Votes : 32
Deathbymonkeys
Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:11 pm
I would have loved to see that ring as well. That would have been a cool shot.
"The difference between a moral man and a man of honor is that the latter regrets a discreditable act, even when it has worked and he has not been caught. " -H. L. Mencken
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:07 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
PorterTroll wrote:
CarpeGuitarrem wrote:
You know, ring-bound hobbits are already extremely overpowered. I mean, any deck that peels off eight burdens per site is just crazy anyway. That doesn’t make this card overpowered.

Yes it does! If a deck can peel off even five burdens per turn (which is pretty conservative for even a mediocre ring bound hobbits deck) thats 15 free strength for the RB each turn! Now tell me that’s not insanely overpowered to the point of brokeness.

In other words...

In a broken deck, this card is broken. In a non-broken deck, this card is non-broken. I think the problem lies not with this card, but with ring-bound hobbits.
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
FortunesRazor
Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:58 pm
To amend my earlier statement someone should make a deck and proxy this card against various shadows to see how broken it’d be in a hobbit deck.

Also I bet one or two of the nazgul from this set will do something while the ring-bearer is wearing the ring or with burdens.

That still doesn’t change the fact that if you’re rohan deck or whatever deck that runs frodo can make it to site 8 with minimal burdens you’ve probably won the game since you can add a bunch of burdens at 9.

It just seems that this card needs a limit or to be like a str+2 or something like that.

What if they took Home and hearth and made it unique or x-ed it instead?

You’d still have bilbo but you wouldn’t be peeling 8 burdens a turn.
PorterTroll
Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 12:09 pm
CarpeGuitarrem wrote:
PorterTroll wrote:
CarpeGuitarrem wrote:
You know, ring-bound hobbits are already extremely overpowered. I mean, any deck that peels off eight burdens per site is just crazy anyway. That doesn’t make this card overpowered.

Yes it does! If a deck can peel off even five burdens per turn (which is pretty conservative for even a mediocre ring bound hobbits deck) thats 15 free strength for the RB each turn! Now tell me that’s not insanely overpowered to the point of brokeness.

In other words...

In a broken deck, this card is broken. In a non-broken deck, this card is non-broken. I think the problem lies not with this card, but with ring-bound hobbits.

Yes, exactly, but since there is no chance of the ring bound hobbits getting any weaker anytime soon, this ring will make them literally unbeatable. Which is why we either need to put a limit on the ring, or the whole ring bound hobbit meta, and I think putting a limit on the Great Ring would just simplify things quite a bit.
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:57 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
I think getting rid of Home and Hearth is a better solution, as FortunesRazor suggested. This is a new, interesting idea for a card, and Home and Hearth was already approaching OP with the ring-bounders. Just like they got rid of Demoralized.
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
maxidoodle
Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:33 am
I find it rather sad that people are still defending the fairness of this card. It’s broken. It’s powerful, yes, but it is ALSO broken.

So, seeing as how my elaborate syllogism of a gameplay example didn’t seem to pierce very many skulls, I’ll have to start with yet another one.

Q: What makes a card broken?

A: Many factors can make a card broken, but in the end, it boils down to two key aspects -

1. The card provides a overwhelming benefit to drawback/cost ratio.
2. The card creates an infinite combo which benefits the player of said card

Q: So now, why aren’t cards like Sudden Fury and Home and Hearth broken, but cards like Galadriel, Lady Redeemed, The One Ring and The Great Ring are?

A: The cost/drawbacks of the cards are the determining factor.

Sudden Fury requires you to lose skirmishes, which can either amount as wounds, or cards in the dead pile. Also, each copy costs 2 twilight to play, making it difficult to setup quickly and effectively.

Home and Hearth requires you to play a Hobbit to use its gametext. Not only do you have a very limited selection to the hobbits you can play, but the twilight added from the hobbit’s cost and the extra companion will begin to add up. Yes, this card is great with Merry, Swordthain, and Pippin, Wearer of Black and Silver, but you can only play each of them once per turn. So, at MOST, you’re looking at 1-2 burdens per turn. Not bad, but how much is that really going to help you? Well, when paired with The One Ring, the Great Ring, that’s another story. It may be on the edge of OP, but it is not to the degree of "brokenly OP".

Galadriel, Lady Redeemed is broken. The fact is undebatable. That’s why she was X’ed. Not only is she a free companion in your starting fellowship (and an elf, might I add, which helps for playing Cirdan and Gil-Galad), but her ability can be used for the meager cost of discarding an elven event from your hand. In combination with Cirdan, the Shipwright, and all of the various "lose initiative" cards, she is extremely OP.

In the same way, The One Ring, the Great Ring is broken. The ability of increasing the ring-bearer’s strength does not require the ring-bearer to be wearing the one ring (decipher’s first mistake), nor is there a cap on the strength bonus that can be awarded to the ring-bearer (decipher’s second mistake). Here’s how this ring fares in common meta decks:

Hobbits - EXTREMELY OP. Crazy Burden removal = free 6-12 strength every turn, or +21 on site 9. Not Cool. Throw in Nine-fingered Frodo and the Ring of Doom - you have one beastly weapon on your side.
Elvents or Elf Archery - OP, as it can save Galadriel when events/archery is lacking, but the limited resistance of Galadriel keeps it from being extremely OP.
Solo Smeagol - Very OP. As if Smeagol doesn’t have enough pumps to annoy the shadow player and destory his/her minions, the last thing Smeagol needs is this ring for an ace-in-the-hole security measure.
Any deck that has a Frodo ring-bearer - Very OP. Frodo gets a free +27 strength (or 33 if he’s resolute hobbit) on site 9, or enough strength to get him out of any jam in the game. Enough said.

This covers the vast majority of decks out there, and it makes them all overpowered to a certain degree. Galadriel, Lady Redeemed is only overpowered in Elf Decks, which don’t even come close to making up the majority of decks out there. Using CarpeGuitarrem’s logic, she isn’t broken, just really good, because she isn’t overpowered in very many decks. Rolling Eyes Posts like those reiterating the same (already refuted point) using fallible logic drive me crazy.

CG - The brokenness of RB hobbits lies in Skirmish cancelling, not burden removal. Plus, the reliance on followers makes this even more difficult. Therefore, the issue does not lie with the hobbits, but the inherent brokenness of the ring.

AL - by "deckspace" you mean Bilbo in my starting fellowship (which would be in ANY RB hobbits deck), and 1 copy of Sting, Weapon of Heritage (again, in ANY RB hobbits deck)? Yeah. That’s definitely soaking up major deckspace.

AC - you’re on the right track, but the fact still remains that the ring is broken BECAUSE of it’s OP-ness.

I don’t need to say any more on this card. It’s broken - that stands as a proven point. The fact that it gives no default bonuses or that it doesn’t work with some ARB’s doesn’t matter. It’s beyond OP. It’s "brokenly OP".

I won’t get into any more discussion on this, because I’ve no need to, no matter how this turns out. If the people on CC start to agree with me, great. They’ve finally got it. If they keep on using the same points and arguments that I’ve already refuted and remain ignorant, then that’s their problem. I, obviously, will not be able to break through to them in the near future.

I’m disappointed that this is what the LOTR TCG has come to, and I am deeply saddened by it. I was considering buying Age’s End, just to have cards from every set, but I’m beginning to stray from that idea...

-end rant-
My deck of doom:
One Combo to Rule them All

maxidoodle's Haves/Wants
FortunesRazor
Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:30 am
maxidoodle wrote:

This covers the vast majority of decks out there, and it makes them all overpowered to a certain degree. Galadriel, Lady Redeemed is only overpowered in Elf Decks, which don’t even come close to making up the majority of decks out there. Using CarpeGuitarrem’s logic, she isn’t broken, just really good, because she isn’t overpowered in very many decks. Rolling Eyes Posts like those reiterating the same (already refuted point) using fallible logic drive me crazy.

I think she’s broken in deck’s other than elf decks. If you put her in you’re starting fellowship for rohan/gondor any elven event in the game becomes a condition/possession discarder.

Anyway, yeah this ring is broken. Hobbits can just abuse it too easily and I still say this is bad at 9 with frodo.[/i]
NBarden
Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:11 pm
Galadriel is broken. Look at the Snow White and the Seven Dwarves deck. How else can you start 8 companions (except ents)?

Gimli, BoG
Dain Ironfoot
Durin III
Dwarf Guard x 4
Galadriel, Lady Redeemed

Seriously fun deck to play....

Anyway, this card is broken beyond a doubt, and because of that, I love it.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
FortunesRazor
Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:43 pm
NBarden wrote:
Galadriel is broken. Look at the Snow White and the Seven Dwarves deck. How else can you start 8 companions (except ents)?

Isilduir
Faramir, Captain of Gondor
Gondorian Prowler
Aragorn, Strider
Ranger of the white Tree (x4)
Denethor, Lord of Minas Tirith
maxidoodle
Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:28 pm
NBarden wrote:

Gimli, BoG
Dain Ironfoot
Durin III
Dwarf Guard x 4
Galadriel, Lady Redeemed

Seriously fun deck to play....

Anyway, this card is broken beyond a doubt, and because of that, I love it.

Holy crap. I’ve never thought about comboing Dwarf Guard with Dain. That is wicked nasty! Twisted Evil
My deck of doom:
One Combo to Rule them All

maxidoodle's Haves/Wants

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG: Age's End