LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Standard (Type 2)
kalypso
Posted: Thu May 24, 2007 6:19 pm
i didnt want to go U/B because it seems too popular right now, but i was realy hungry to make a teferi-based counter control deck (cus all i usualy make is aggro). i dont have the money or the trade bait to get the duals cus i’m poor and not old enough to get a job yet, but i’m gonna go ahead and post the stuff i don’t have and i’ll just specify it i guess.
i basically counter counter counter(unless i have removal the i let it slide and remove eot.) teferi, magus, urza’s factory (or welk) gg.

23 land:
x4 hallowed fountain (dont have these)
x4 nimbus maze (i have 1)
x2 plains
x7 island
x2 caliciform pools
x2 urza’s factory (sadly, i only have 1.)
x2 boreal shelf (only 1 here too.)

7 creatures:
x3 teferi
x2 magus of the future (i only have 1 right now.)
x2 draining welk

16 counters:(not counting welk)
x4 delay
x4 remand
x4 mana leak
x4 cancel
x2 draining welk (2 total deck)

6 draw:(not counting repeal+remand)
x4 think twice (only have 1, i know it’s sad.)
x2 ancestral vision
x4 remand
x2 repeal

6 removal:
x2 repeal
x2 condemn
x2 temporal isolation

2 other:
gigadrowse (wasnt sure what to consider it, and when 10th becomes legal i was thinking of switching them out for timestop, if anyone thinks that’s a mistake tell me please.)

15 sideboard:
3 frozen aether
3 voidstone gargoyle
3 aven mindcensor
2 sunlance
2 faith’s fetters
2 evacuation (i’m never gonna be able to get wrath of god, no reason for posting it then right?)

just so you know i didn’t make this deck yesterday, so i do have expierence with it, and reasons why magus of the future is in it(because he CENSORED rules!) and why there’s only 2 gigadrowse and what not just ask and i’ll tell.

<Please do not use foul language within Cobra Cards’ Forums, try to keep it as family friendly as possible> FM
Felipe Musco
Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 7:40 am
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
If you claim "you’ll never be able to get Wrath of God", the don’t post duals, they go for an even higher price, usually. My point is, if you’re trying to design a deck, and if in the end it’s deemed good enough, DO try to assemble it, even if you purchase one card a month or so, so you can try an win some tournamentes, thus getting more cards, thus expanding your colletion, thus allowing you to trade for better ones, so on, so forth.
So, first thing, maindecked Wrath of God. 4 of them. You need some way to deal with creatures with Shroud-like abilities. For instance, what do you do if someone lands down Quagnoth? Yeah... I know...
Then, from here, I’d suggest addin perhaps Venser, Shaper Savant, and Vedalken Aethermage, to tutor for your wizards, so you won’t need as much of them. Then, you could try some Ravnica bouncelands or some Dreadship Reefs over Calciform Pools (you’ll most like only make use of blue mana out if it anyway...), so you can include Mystical Teachings (and flash it back, of course) and just tutor up Teferi, any other creature while Teferi is down, and lower the numbers on stuff like Temporal Isolation (only situationally good, I wouldn’t even use it out of a block deck if I were you), adding in Pull from Eternity, etc. Also, you don’t pack a Tron package, so Repeal can get kind of expensive, I’d use only one bounce spell maindecked (either BOomerang or Wipe Away, due to split second) and just Mystical Teachings it up if need be, perhaps relegating some repeals to the sideboard for when they are REALLY needed. Also, Mystical Teachings is REALLY cool with Magus of the Future, since you get to shuffle your deck, seeing a new card each time, thus getting yet another source of card advantage. I’d aslo sugegst 1-2 Aeon Chronicler as a finisher, he’s really big with the advantage and draw you already have. Plus, Ancestral Vision sucks badly late game, due to the suspend-only clause, so it’s only good if you get it early on, so I’d say either make it a four-of, or lose it. Careful Consideration may be better suited at Drawing, or perhaps Foresee. If you’re going with Delay maindeck, and in a control build you should, cut Remand (if you read my article on FS you’ll see Delay is actually more advantageous to your build) for Mana Tithe, it may help you in some tight spots. If you face Extirpate a lot, Logic Knot can also be great, you just counter whatever spell you want by abusing Delve and clearing out your whole graveyard.

For the SB, I’d suggest cutting loose Frozen Aether, they’re just too slow to effectively work out, and sugegst you try out the cheap Teferi’s Moat in it’s place. Set it to green against, say, a Top Tier Gruul, and they’ll be drastically hindered... Voidstone Gargoyle is cool tech, but too expensive, so I’d say cut him down to a maximum of 2. If you skim through my FS article, you’ll also notice Aven Mindcensor is not that great on what you’re probably trying to do, so I’d suggest Trickbind over him (can also tutor for it with Mystical Teachings...). Then, if suspend or the new pacts are heavy, plus since you’re playing with Delay, you can also go for some copies of Nix. Sunlance is pretty much like Ancestral Vision except it does not have suspend, but unless you cast it early on, you’re better off casting Wrath of God anyway. I think you could think on using it, but I’d either pack 4 copies, or cut it completely, favoring 4 copies of Faith’s Fetters instead. I also think you need Tormod’s Crypt, as for right now you might have a hard time against Dredge Bridge, but perhaps the counter barrier will be enough.

As for the manabase, you can cut Boreal Shelf, it’s too slow, and even cut to only 1 Urza’s Factory. Why? Well, if you’re devoting a slot to a come-into-play-tapped land, then go with Tolaria West, which you can transmute for the right land when you need it, be it Urza’s Factory, be it Hallowed Fountain to make better use of Nimbus Maze, be it a Calciform Pools or Dreadship Reef (and you can even fetch Pact of Negation, if you decide to try it out). Heck, you could even splash in an Urbor, Tomb of Yawgmoth and cut Faith’s Fetters from the side for Tendrils of Corruption, being able to fetch it with Teachings AND being able to abuse the life-gaining. I’d also cut some Islands for Adarkar Wastes, and *think* on trying out some Flagstones of Trokair, which slim down your deck by fetching out duals, but it could hurt Nimbus Maze.

On a side note, I have Magus of the Future, Wrath of God and some Storage Lands for trade, if you want them.
I don't like YOU.
kalypso
Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 5:36 pm
yeah i’d love to try and trade for that stuff, but i don’t think i’d need the storage lands as much. and thanks for your advice(including the gargadon beats.) and i use to have 4 copies of ancestral vision maindeck and no think twice at all, but the visions deemed too slow so i cut it down to 2 and put in 4 think twice (and it only been that way for a couple days, tommorow i’m going to a tournament so i’ll test it out there). and i tried forsee but it seemed too slow also. and the bouncelands, i’m not gonnatry those because i already knw those are slow, i’d like to be able to start countering stuff by turn 2 and of course bounce lands hinder that. and originaly i had the mystical teachings in there and took it out in favor of removal, should i add it back in? and what should i take out for it? and i agree the frozen aether is too slow, i never thought about teferi’s moat, i’ll have to trade for some. and i was thinking what if i run the wraths side board so i dont have to kill my own creatures since i dont have that many in the first place. and is there any other draw-removal i could go with instead of repeal? cus personolly i hate bounce unless it has synergy in the deck, but i’m trying to keep as much draw as i can. and one last thing, what if i just sideboard mana tithe for decks with lower mana curves, because against other control decks it’ll suck because they try to keep as much mana open as possible. i think thats all for now, because my computers about to die and i gotta hurry, thanks!
Felipe Musco
Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 6:10 pm
Exactly because you have few creatures is that you should maindeck Wrath of God, it’s not your loss anyway. Also, for Mana Tithe, you’re forgetting you have the OTHER counters, so yeah, they can keep mana open, but when a counter was starts, having a ONE MANA counter can make one heck of a difference... Specially since you won’t get Pact of Negation easily. I’d just move repeal to the sb entirely, and Mystical Teachings is important in that it lets you play fewer Teferies, and go with some silver bullets like 1 Pull from Eternity, 1 Nix, etc. One of the stuff you won’t be packing in lots.
I don't like YOU.
kalypso
Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 6:50 pm
okay, i see what your saying, i’m trying to prepair more for the mirror match, but what your saying is i should prepair more for what control is weak against witch is swarm-like aggro. so main board wraths, main board tithes. but are you so sure i should take out the remands and the repeals since they draw me cards and keep me at an advantage, i agree with taking out the repeals but not remand, what if i take 2 mana leaks then add 2 tithes main board and 2 sideboard? and i’m just wondering what you think the deck should basically look like.

oh yeah and i’m being kind of lazy about posting a H/W list, and i was wondering what exactly you want, or if you want i can post a bunch of high dollar cards i have that i’m willing to trade.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Mon May 28, 2007 11:26 am
Go ahead and do that, I have to update my list big time, but my home computer has burned down, so it’s easier to just look at your Wants, and your main Haves (I have all the C and U I want anyway). I’d recommend Remand over Mana Tithe. ALso, notice that, with 4 copies of Mystical Teachings, you can have one-of of cards like Condemn, Repeal, Pull from Eternity, DIsenchant, etc, for when you need them. Wink
I don't like YOU.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Standard (Type 2)