LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
Thranduil
Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:34 am
Foresight wrote:
Gandalf time!

4Gandalf, Maiar of Valinor Gandalf
Companion • Wizard
Strength: 7
Vitality: 4
Resistance: 7
Upkeep - Spot 3 Free Peoples cultures. (At the start of the regroup phase, you must spot 3 Free Peoples cultures or discard Gandalf.)
Skirmish: Exert Gandalf to make another companion strength +2.

I don’t like his subtitle - in a very real sense, Gandalf in middle-earth is NOT a Maiar, he is an immortal spirit in a mortal body, but so are the Elves, and the longer he lives in the mortal realms, the more mortal he becomes (and this is about 5000 years by the War of the Ring). I’d prefer ’Messenger from Valinor’ or some other title indicating his mission on middle-earth. Nice and powerful card.

Foresight wrote:
1 Mastery of the Sacred Fire Gandalf
Event • Regroup
Spot a Gandalf Wizard and remove 3 Gandalf cards in your discard pile from the game to discard a minion.
You may exert a Gandalf Wizard twice to play this event during the skirmish phase.

Very nice card, but if you play it in the skirmish phase, you should then have to remove this event from the game as well.

Foresight wrote:
2 Unshakable Loyalty Gandalf
Condition • Support Area
Upkeep - Add a burden. (At the start of the regroup phase, you must add a burden or discard this condition.)
Response: If Gandalf is about to exert as part of the cost of a card, discard 2 cards from hand to pay that cost instead.

Why not simply: ’If Gandalf is about to exert, discard 2 cards from hand instead’? It’s pretty much the same thing. I like it!

Foresight wrote:
2Glamdring, Adversary Cleaver Gandalf
Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength: +2
Upkeep - Discard a card from hand. (At the start of the regroup phase, you must discard a card from hand or discard Glamdring.)
Bearer must be Gandalf.
He is damage +2.
Each time Gandalf wins a skirmish, you may draw a card.

I don’t like the subtitle. Call it ’Elven Blade’ or ’Blade of Gondolin’, I just think ’Adversary Cleaver’ sounds rather silly. I don’t think it should make him damage +2, maybe strength +3 instead.

Foresight wrote:
0Released From Shadow Gandalf
Condition
Resistance: +1
Spell. To play, spot a Gandalf Wizard.
Bearer must be a non-Wizard companion.
Discard all Shadow cards on bearer and Shadow cards may not be borne by bearer.
Response: If any number of twilight tokens are about to be added by a Shadow card during a skirmish involving bearer, exert a Gandalf Wizard to prevent that.

Who’s going to add twilight in the skirmish phase? Make it all phases and increase the cost to 1 and/or exerting a Gandalf wizard, or make the twilight ability discard itself.

Nice stuff! Thumbs Up

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)
Foresight
Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:16 am
Thranduil wrote:
Foresight wrote:
4Gandalf, Maiar of Valinor Gandalf
Companion • Wizard
Resistance: 7
Upkeep - Spot 3 Free Peoples cultures. (At the start of the regroup phase, you must spot 3 Free Peoples cultures or discard Gandalf.)
Skirmish: Exert Gandalf to make another companion strength +2.

I don’t like his subtitle - in a very real sense, Gandalf in middle-earth is NOT a Maiar, he is an immortal spirit in a mortal body, but so are the Elves, and the longer he lives in the mortal realms, the more mortal he becomes (and this is about 5000 years by the War of the Ring). I’d prefer ’Messenger from Valinor’ or some other title indicating his mission on middle-earth. Nice and powerful card.

Blame Wikipedia, I went there to try and find a decent subtitle for big G, and that’s what it told me he is. Wikipedia’s actually very helpful in finding subtitles, especially for those of us who haven’t read any of the books. Smile

Thranduil wrote:
Foresight wrote:
2Glamdring, Adversary Cleaver Gandalf
Possession • Hand Weapon
Upkeep - Discard a card from hand. (At the start of the regroup phase, you must discard a card from hand or discard Glamdring.)
Bearer must be Gandalf.
He is damage +2.
Each time Gandalf wins a skirmish, you may draw a card.

I don’t like the subtitle. Call it ’Elven Blade’ or ’Blade of Gondolin’, I just think ’Adversary Cleaver’ sounds rather silly. I don’t think it should make him damage +2, maybe strength +3 instead.

I think that Orc Beater sounds even sillier, but hey it’s an official card and I haven’t topped that level of silliness with Adversary Cleaver. Razz
In his eyes was the look of a hunted beast seeking some gap in the ring of his enemies. Men
Thranduil
Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:19 am
Foresight wrote:
Blame Wikipedia, I went there to try and find a decent subtitle for big G, and that’s what it told me he is. Wikipedia’s actually very helpful in finding subtitles, especially for those of us who haven’t read any of the books. Smile

Yes, Gandalf is a Maia, but in middle-earth he isn’t - he’s a Wizard. In Valinor, his name was Olorin and was one of the Maiar of Aule the smith of the Valar, but then he was sent to middle-earth and he stopped being a Maia and became one of the Istari instead. His name actually has Elf in it (’Alf’ is ’Elf’ in Norse) and I would argue he was far more of an Elf in middle-earth than an angel.

And you should DEFINITELY read the books - just miss out all the poetry and you’ll be fine!

Foresight wrote:
I think that Orc Beater sounds even sillier, but hey it’s an official card and I haven’t topped that level of silliness with Adversary Cleaver. Razz

Razz Fair enough. I don’t mind Orc-Beater myself, but I understand your point.

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Foresight
Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:20 am
1 Heated Sword Gandalf
Event • Skirmish
Spell. Spot a Gandalf Wizard to cancel all strength and damage bonuses from a possession until the regroup phase.

1 Deflected Arrow Gandalf
Event • Archery
Spell. Spot a Gandalf Wizard to make the minion archery total -1 (Or -3 if that Wizard bears a staff).

2Dungeon of the Ancient Texts Gandalf
Condition
To play, spot Gandalf. Plays on a sanctuary.
When the fellowship moves from this site (except during the regroup phase), the move limit is -1 for this turn.
Fellowship: Exert Gandalf to reveal your hand. For each Gandalf card revealed in this way, remove 1.

1 Old Acquaintances Gandalf
Event • Fellowship
Choose one: Exert Bilbo and spot Gandalf to play a Shire Tale from your draw deck; or exert Gandalf and spot Bilbo to remove a burden (Or 2 burdens if neither is exhausted).

4Alatar, Maia of Oromë Gandalf
Companion • Wizard
Resistance: 6
Upkeep - Discard a Gandalf card from hand. (At the start of the regroup phase, you must discard a Gandalf card from hand or discard Alatar.)
Each time you play a spell, you may place a Gandalf card from your discard pile beneath your draw deck.
At the start of each skirmish involving Alatar, you may reveal a Gandalf spell from hand to reinforce a Gandalf token.
Last edited by Foresight on Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:42 pm; edited 3 times in totalIn his eyes was the look of a hunted beast seeking some gap in the ring of his enemies. Men
legoles3333
Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:30 am
Joined: 28 Nov 2006 Posts: 861 Location: In a place that is beyond your imagination
Foresight wrote:
0 Heated Sword Gandalf
Event • Skirmish
Spell. Spot a Gandalf Wizard to cancel all strength and damage bonuses from a possession until the regroup phase.

nice, but change to Exert a gandalf Wizard

0 Deflected Arrow Gandalf
Event • Archery
Spot a Gandalf Wizard to make the minion archery total -1 (Or -3 if that Wizard bears a staff).

kewl

Condition
When the fellowship moves from this site (except during the regroup phase), the move limit is -1 for this turn.
Fellowship: Exert Gandalf to reveal your hand. For each Gandalf card revealed in this way, remove 1.

um... ok

Event • Fellowship
Choose one: Exert Bilbo and spot Gandalf to play a Shire Tale from your draw deck; or exert Gandalf and spot Bilbo to remove a burden.

you can safly make the cost 0

4Alatar, Maiar of the Vala Oromë Gandalf
Companion • Wizard
Upkeep - Discard a Gandalf card from hand. (At the start of the regroup phase, you must discard a Gandalf card from hand or discard Alatar.)
Each time you play a spell, you may heal a Gandalf companion.
At the start of each skirmish involving Alatar, you may reveal a Gandalf spell from hand to reinforce a Gandalf token.

a little too much with Glamdring, Lighting Brand, cut the second spell like ability
Here's My Trade List
I have taken an oath of poverty, to annoy me, send money
I am a trained assassin catcher
Thranduil
Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:51 am
Foresight wrote:
0 Heated Sword Gandalf
Event • Skirmish

Nice, but I’d make it cost 1 - especially because it’s a spell.

Foresight wrote:
0 Deflected Arrow Gandalf
Event • Archery
Spot a Gandalf Wizard to make the minion archery total -1 (Or -3 if that Wizard bears a staff).

What scene were you thinking of? When Legolas shoots at Gandalf in Fangorn? I think it should also cost 1 and be a spell.

Foresight wrote:
Condition

What does this card represent? Is it where all the guilty ancient texts are imprisoned - because that’s what it sounds like! Weird and interesting. No idea how balanced it is. Maybe too expensive.

Foresight wrote:
Event • Fellowship
Choose one: Exert Bilbo and spot Gandalf to play a Shire Tale from your draw deck; or exert Gandalf and spot Bilbo to remove a burden.

Very very cool. Needs to cost 1 for the fetching ability, and maybe make the second one 2 burdens or 2 burdens if a certain condition is met.

Foresight wrote:
4Alatar, Maiar of the Vala Oromë Gandalf
Companion • Wizard
Each time you play a spell, you may heal a Gandalf companion.

It’s about your subtitle again, I’m afraid.

Firstly, ’Maiar’ is the plural, as is ’Valar’. ’Maia’ and ’Vala’ are the respective singulars.

Secondly, you wouldn’t say for Boromir ’Son of the Steward Denethor’, you’d just call him ’Son of Denethor’. Similarly, this should be ’Maia of Oromë’, and if that’s your theme, Gandalf’s subtitle should be ’Maia of Aulë’, or they should both be ’Maia of Valinor’.

The spell ability is far far too good for one simple reason: Radagast’s Herb Bag that can exert to wound a minion each time a spell is played. Take it out, and the other ability is more than enough to make him amazing (maybe with +1 resistance if you’re worried).

Thranduil
- Dream of the Endless

Foresight
Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:43 pm
Edit: Changes made! I’ll award Thranduil a GP for the in-depth responses.
In his eyes was the look of a hunted beast seeking some gap in the ring of his enemies. Men
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:50 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
Foresight wrote:
1 Heated Sword Gandalf
Event • Skirmish
maybe and exert a minion bearing a possession?

1 Deflected Arrow Gandalf
Event • Archery
Spell. Spot a Gandalf Wizard to make the minion archery total -1 (Or -3 if that Wizard bears a staff).
cool

Condition
uh sure

Event • Fellowship
Choose one: Exert Bilbo and spot Gandalf to play a Shire Tale from your draw deck; or exert Gandalf and spot Bilbo to remove a burden (Or 2 burdens if neither is exhausted).
nice

4Alatar, Maia of Oromë Gandalf
Companion • Wizard
Each time you play a spell, you may place a Gandalf card from your discard pile beneath your draw deck.

should say on your gandalf condition after the last ability
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
Foresight
Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:37 pm
2Gandalf, Friend to Bilbo Gandalf
Follower
Aid - 3 May only be transferred to a Gandalf or Shire companion.
When you transfer Gandalf to a companion, you may exert that companion to choose one: remove a burden; reinforce a Gandalf or Shire token; or heal a Shire companion.

3 Haste Gandalf
Event • Regroup
Exert Gandalf twice bearing Shadowfax to choose one: make the move limit +1; or discard 2 minions.

0 Fireworks Aplenty Gandalf
Condition • Support Area
To play, spot Gandalf.
Upkeep - Exert an unbound hobbit. (At the start of the regroup phase, you must exert an unbound hobbit or discard this condition.)
Regroup: Exert an unbound hobbit to draw a card, then discard a card from hand.
Regroup: Exert Merry and Pippin to place a Shire card from your discard pile on top or bottom of your draw deck.

3 Morgul Speech Gandalf
Event • Fellowship
Exert a Gandalf Wizard twice, add a burden, and choose a Shadow player to take a minion from their discard pile into hand, then heal each companion (twice if you can spot 5 burdens).

0 Consorting with Ents Gandalf
Condition • Support Area
To play, spot Gandalf.
Maneuver: Exert Gandalf to transfer this condition to a card.
While a card bears this condition, it gains: Upkeep - Discard a card from hand. (At the start of the regroup phase, you must discard a card from hand or discard this card.)
Last edited by Foresight on Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in totalIn his eyes was the look of a hunted beast seeking some gap in the ring of his enemies. Men
Thranduil
Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:14 pm
Foresight wrote:
2Gandalf, Friend to Bilbo Gandalf
Follower
Aid - 3
When you transfer Gandalf to a companion, you may exert that companion to choose one: remove a burden; reinforce a Gandalf or Shire token; or heal a Shire companion.

His burden removal ability is too good - it’s easy, fast and simple burden removal for ANY culture and ANY deck that also gives you a strength and resistance bonus. Add some cultural enforcement on it, for either Gandalf or Shire companions, whichever takes your fancy. Always be careful about followers - remember new chapter and erkenbrand’s horn, a combo which wouldn’t have been a problem if Decipher had culturally enforced followers enough.

Foresight wrote:
3 Haste Gandalf
Event • Regroup
Exert Gandalf bearing Shadowfax to choose one: make the move limit +1; or discard 2 minions.

I’d prefer if this card had an effect without bearing shadowfax. Also, compared to out of the high airs, the second ability is rubbish.

Foresight wrote:
0 Fireworks Aplenty Gandalf
Condition • Support Area
To play, spot Gandalf.
Upkeep - Exert an unbound hobbit. (At the start of the regroup phase, you must exert an unbound hobbit or discard this condition.)
Regroup: Exert an unbound hobbit to draw a card, then discard a card from hand.
Regroup: Exert Merry and Pippin to place a Shire card from your discard pile on top of your draw deck.

Two exertions is too much, I’d replace the ’and’ with ’or’. Fun card.

Foresight wrote:
2 Morgul Speech Gandalf
Event • Fellowship
Spot a Gandalf Wizard and choose a Shadow player to take a minion from their discard pile into hand, then heal each companion (twice if you can spot 5 burdens).

Take out the brackets, increase the cost, or limit the companions that can be healed (like farewell to lorien). Good.

Foresight wrote:
0Consorting with Ents Gandalf
Condition • Support Area
To play, spot Gandalf.
When you play this condition, spot a card and note its card title.
Each card with the noted card title gains: Upkeep - Discard a card from hand. (At the start of the regroup phase, you must discard a card from hand or discard this card.)

Make it a condition that plays on other cards. ’Bearer must be a card. Bearer gains Upkeep - Discard a card from hand’. Also, give it a cost or make it exert Gandalf instead. Good use of your keyword! Thumbs Up

Thranduil
- Dream of the Endless

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards