LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Standard (Type 2)
Arthur_Pendragon
Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:24 pm
--- description ---

An attempt at a control deck which is predominantly blue with some white for WoG.

--- end description ---

Land:
16 Islands
6 Plains

Creatures:
2 Mahamoti Djinn
1 Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir

Counterspells:
2 Cancel
3 Dismal Failure
3 Logic Knot
4 Mana Leak
4 Remand
4 Rewind
4 Rune Snag

Card Drawing:
1 Whispers of the Muse
4 Think Twice

Bounce:
2 Boomerang

Sorceries:
4 Wrath of God

The deck premise is simple, but I’m looking for how to improve it. Use cheap counter spells to keep things off the board, WoG to kill weenie hoards, and Think Twice (for early card draw) and Whispers of the Muse (for late card draw, along with flashbacked Think Twice). Use the Djinn as a finisher, and Teferi to foul up your opponents attacks with spells.

As a note, I’ve toyed with making it more white but often times Prophyr Nodes and Mana Tithe fell short (Mana Tithe often ended up too little too late, and the Nodes mostly ended up being inefficient compared to a WoG).

I often wondered if there was a better use of Teferi though.

I’m primarily a blue mage, but splash into white for WoG. Is there anyway to help make this deck work better.
Arthur_Pendragon
Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:56 pm
quick update. I’ve recently found myself a bit mana short when tyring to play WoG, so I decided to try to add in more white to this result:

Land:
10 Islands
10 Plains
2 Azorious Chancery

Creatures:
2 Mahamoti Djinn
1 Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir

Counterspells:
2 Disenchant
2 Dismal Failure
2 Logic Knot
3 Mana Leak
4 Mana Tithe
4 Remand
4 Rewind

Card Drawing:
2 Careful Consideration
1 Whispers of the Muse
4 Think Twice

Enchantment:
3 Porphyry Nodes

Sorceries:
4 Wrath of God

The method of attack is the same, except using Careful Consideration to discard Disenchant, etc. if unnessecary. I wondered if anyone had better suggestions though.

I’m also looking for some advice on how to best approach playing this deck, like for example, when should I play Teferi, or the Djinn?
Arthur_Pendragon
Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:48 pm
One other thing, though this is more for the future, but I’d like some advice. Seeing as Time Stop is coming out in 10th edition, I went ahead and bought some from the Kamigawa set in hopes of catching it when the price was lower, I was thinking of putting it into this deck after 10th comes out (especially) as a way to deal with storm effects and the like (as presently if you just counter the storm spell all its copies still go off, I figure time stop would halt that in its tracks).

So what should I take out to put how many ever Time Stop I should put in?

Also any suggestions for a side board?

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Standard (Type 2)