LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:54 am
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
What would Lord of the Rings be without Gollum?

And what would Lord of the Rings: TCG be without the small but always potent Gollum culture?

Well, hard as it may be to remember, there WAS a time when such a culture didn’t exist. The Fellowship block had no Gollum (or Sméagol, for that matter). It’s understandable, not only from a gameplay point of view, but also the story. Gollum is mentioned several times throughout The Fellowship of the Ring, but we barely see him. All his interactions with the fellowship are through half-seen stalkings at night or menacing hisses in the darkness. Most references are in backstory, or hushed whispers of him possibly following the company through Moria and down the Anduin River. It is not until The Two Towers that he fully reveals himself for the first time since The Hobbit, and the rest is history.

But that doesn’t mean that, now that the Gollum culture does exist, Gollum has no place in a set based on The Fellowship of the Ring. So here he is, and believe it or not, I’ve been able to crank out a decent-sized chunk of the set for the Gollum culture, so we’ll be here a little while. Very Happy Enjoy!

2Gollum, Great In Mischief Gollum
Minion
Strength: 5
Vitality: 4
Site: 3
Each time the fellowship moves, you may exert Gollum or remove a burden to add 2 threats.
Shadow: Spot 3 Sauron minions or 2 Nazgûl to play Gollum from your discard pile and wound him.
“‘He could work much mischief still....I do not doubt that he was allowed to leave Mordor on some evil errand.’”

This version touches on BOTH of the main focuses of the Gollum culture in this set: Gollum swooping in and out of the discard pile, and doing nasty stuff when the fellowship moves. Both are my way of representing his tracking of the fellowship in the story, yet evading capture (or in most cases, even positive identification) throughout. So I hope you like the themes, because that’s where we’ll be sticking in future posts. Smile
Last edited by DáinIronfoot on Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:19 pm; edited 10 times in totalBest regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:01 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
DáinIronfoot wrote:

Minion
Site: 4
Shadow: Spot 3 Sauron minions or 2 Nazgûl to play Gollum from your discard pile. He enters play with a wound.
Each time the fellowship moves, you may exert Gollum or remove a burden to add a threat.
“‘He could work much mischief still....I do not doubt that he was allowed to leave Mordor on some evil errand.’”

the second sentence is cumbersome... I would make it or remove a threat to add a burden...
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
lem0nhead
Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:23 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:

Minion
Site: 4
Shadow: Spot 3 Sauron minions or 2 Nazgûl to play Gollum from your discard pile. He enters play with a wound.
Each time the fellowship moves, you may exert Gollum or remove a burden to add a threat.

Phrase it when you play him wound him. Second ability is really not useful. A burden for a threat? Lame. Look at 9 fingere frodo, 2 threats are worth a burden for example. Plus you have to move twice which isnt that common. Needs making better DI.

Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:34 pm
lem0nhead wrote:
Second ability is really not useful. A burden for a threat? Lame. Look at 9 fingere frodo, 2 threats are worth a burden for example. Plus you have to move twice which isnt that common. Needs making better DI.

All excellent points. I did increase it to 2 threats, and you’ll see why that may be useful before long. For now, though, I’ll just focus on the other side of things: the fellowship moving during the regroup phase.

Check this out:

2 Try and Lose Him Gollum
Event • Regroup
Remove a threat and spot Gollum (or 3 Gollum cards) to make the Free Peoples player choose to move again this turn (if the move limit allows).
“If he was still following, he was very wary and cunning. At Aragorn’s bidding they paddled now for long spells, and the banks went swiftly by....they journeyed mostly by night and twilight, resting by day, and lying as hidden as the land allowed.”
Last edited by DáinIronfoot on Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in totalBest regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
Thranduil
Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:27 pm
Very interesting Gollum, but I agree with SoP on the second ability and would also like to ask why his site number is 4 instead of the usual 3.

DáinIronfoot wrote:
Event • Regroup
Exert Gollum and spot another Gollum card to make the Free Peoples player choose to move again this turn (if the move limit allows).
“If he was still following, he was very wary and cunning. At Aragorn’s bidding they paddled now for long spells, and the banks went swiftly by....they journeyed mostly by night and twilight, resting by day, and lying as hidden as the land allowed.”

Not sure it needs the exertion, but it’s a very nice card either way.

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)
AgentDrake
Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:04 pm
Joined: 01 Apr 2007 Posts: 667 Location: Halfway between eccentric and insane...
I would keep the exertion, or change it to allow removing one or two threats instead. I’m guessing that threats won’t be too much of a cost, given Gollum’s text.

Also, Gollum’s "Each time the fellowship moves" text should come before the Shadow action.

Should be interesting to see what sorta stuff you can come up with for Fellowship-block Gollum.
Never kid about politicians. The more bizarre the joke, the more likely it is to come true.
lem0nhead
Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:22 am
DáinIronfoot wrote:

Event • Regroup
Exert Gollum and spot another Gollum card to make the Free Peoples player choose to move again this turn (if the move limit allows).

Id remove spot another gollum card and make it while you can spot only gollum minions. Otherwise its too nasty imho.
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:08 pm
Tweaked the card, trying to incorporate all suggestions. And since I almost forgot, GPs are on the way to all who have reviewed thus far! Very Happy

Moving forward, here’s a trio of cards where the FP player gets punished for moving during regroup...by bringing Gollum back to follow them down the path, just like in The Fellowship of the Ring. Twisted Evil Enjoy!

2A Clever Waterman Gollum
Condition • Support Area
Each time the fellowship moves from a river site, you may take Gollum into hand from your discard pile.
Skirmish: Discard this condition to make Gollum strength +3 (or +4 if the fellowship is at a river site).
“‘Just then I saw the eyes: two pale sort of points, shiny-like, on a hump at the near end of the log. What’s more, it wasn’t a log, for it had paddle-feet, like a swan’s almost, only they seemed bigger, and kept dipping in and out of the water.’”

2A Shadowy Figure Gollum
Condition • Support Area
Each time the fellowship moves from a forest site, you may take Gollum into hand from your discard pile.
Skirmish: Discard this condition to make Gollum strength +3 (or +4 if the fellowship is at a forest site).
“‘There was something in this tree that I have never seen before. It was not an orc. It fled as soon as I touched the tree-stem. It seemed to be wary, and to have some skill in trees....’”

2 A Little Footpad Gollum
Condition • Support Area
Each time the fellowship moves during the regroup phase, you may take Gollum into hand from your discard pile.
Regroup: Discard this condition to discard Gollum and add 2.
“‘The miserable creature must have been hiding in the woods by the Silverlode, watching us start off!’”
Last edited by DáinIronfoot on Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:42 am; edited 1 time in totalBest regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

sickofpalantirs
Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:21 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
DáinIronfoot wrote:

2 A Clever Waterman Gollum
Condition • Support Area
Each time the fellowship moves from a river site, you may take Gollum into hand from your discard pile.
Skirmish: Discard this condition to make Gollum strength +2 (or +3 if the fellowship is at a river site).
“‘Just then I saw the eyes: two pale sort of points, shiny-like, on a hump at the near end of the log. What’s more, it wasn’t a log, for it had paddle-feet, like a swan’s almost, only they seemed bigger, and kept dipping in and out of the water.’”
make it +3 or +4 if at a river IMHO and make it unique

2 A Shadowy Figure Gollum
Condition • Support Area
Each time the fellowship moves from a sanctuary or forest site, you may take Gollum into hand from your discard pile.
Skirmish: Discard this condition to make Gollum strength +2 (or +3 if the fellowship is at a forest site).
“‘There was something in this tree that I have never seen before. It was not an orc. It fled as soon as I touched the tree-stem. It seemed to be wary, and to have some skill in trees....’”
ditto both.

Condition • Support Area
Each time the fellowship moves during the regroup phase, you may take Gollum into hand from your discard pile.
“‘The miserable creature must have been hiding in the woods by the Silverlode, watching us start off!’”

again make it unique
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
lem0nhead
Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:00 am
DáinIronfoot wrote:

2 A Clever Waterman Gollum
Condition • Support Area
Skirmish: Discard this condition to make Gollum strength +2 (or +3 if the fellowship is at a river site).

Id make this unique. + 8 or 12 strength in the support area is vast. Cool though. Very apt title.

2 A Shadowy Figure Gollum
Condition • Support Area
Each time the fellowship moves from a sanctuary or forest site, you may take Gollum into hand from your discard pile.
Skirmish: Discard this condition to make Gollum strength +2 (or +3 if the fellowship is at a forest site).

Same as above, but still cool card. Dunno whether id say sanctuary though. Whats your reasoning behind this?

Condition • Support Area

This is funky if you have 2 in play because if gollum is exhausted you could discard him and add the 2 to play him again next turn, then use the first ability if they moved again. So in effect you totally heal gollum. Not very useful at all on its own, but like deceit double it up and its really cool.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards