LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Expanded
turkeymk
Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:54 am
Deck your opponent in a hurry, and then cruise to site 9 or corrupt the ring-bearer.

Site path:
0 Buckland Homestead
0 Courtyard Parapet
0 Abandoned Mine Shaft
1 Anduin Confluence
1 Neekerbreekers’ Bog
1 Pelennor Flat (MVP)
2 Barazinbar
3 Moria Guardroom
3 Old Forest Road

Free Peoples:
Galadriel, Bearer of Wisdom
The One Ring, The Ring of Doom

Dain Ironfoot, King Under the Mountain (s)
Gimli, Eager Hunter (s)

Durin III, Dwarven Lord x2
Thorin III, Stonehelm x2
Radagast, the Brown x2

Elven Bow x3
Nenya x1
Dwarven Axe x4
Hand Axe x2
Ring of Fury x1
Ring of Guile x1
Ring of Accretion x1
Dwarven Bracers x2
Belt of Erebor x1
Gimli’s Helm x1

The White Arrows of Lorien x3
The Tale of Gil-Galad x1
Shadow Between x1
Greatest Kingdom of My People x2

Nobody Tosses a Dwarf x4
Seclusion x2

Shadow:
Orc Inquisitor x4
Orc Chaser x2
Orc Pursuer x3
Orc Stalker x2
Orc Archer Troop x2
Orc Patrol x2
Grishnakh, Orc Captain x2
The Mouth of Sauron, Lieutenant of Barad-dur x1
Band of the Eye x2
Bill Ferny, Swarthy Sneering Fellow x1
Ulaire Enquea, Lieutenant of Morgul x2
Ulaire Toldea, Messenger of Morgul x2

Forces of Mordor x1

Desperate Defense of the Ring x4
Thin and Stretched x1
The Irresistible Shadow x1
Dead Marshes x3

Ithil Stone x2

Total - 38

This deck packs serious discarding ability on both sides, along with the ability to win the game quickly once the opponent is decked. The Free Peoples side is not a powerhouse deck, it generally wants to stay alive and single-move from sites 3-6 while eating away the opponent’s deck by setting up Galadriel with a bow and the devastating White Arrows of Lorien, and and getting Durin pumped up to play Nobody Tosses a Dwarf. Then, once the opponent is decked (or close to it), use Radagast for an easy triple from 6-9.

The shadow side is based on Desperate Defense of the Ring, and the minions are mainly Orcs who get stronger with initiative and a couple Nazgul who become devastating once the burdens start piling on. There are many other cards I would like to throw in the shadow side, especially Tower of Barad-dur, but it and many other discarders are rendered useless by Frodo, Courteous Halfling. If that Frodo isn’t common in your meta, throw it in there though. Condition discarding is a big problem, which is why I have 3x Dead Marshes. As great as conditions are, DDotR decks have to be careful to have plenty of minions so that the fellowship has to assign them (and plenty of the minions have to be Sauron Orcs, to ensure that DD and Dead Marshes can be played).

Both sides of the deck can be vulnerable to certain match-ups. The Free People’s side can be swarmed, or corrupted. The Shadow could be helpless against Ent-like decks with many strong skirmishers, or decks with very good burden removal. However, one of the big advantages of a discard deck is that you’re likely to discard the opponent’s key cards and he might not get the ones he needs against you. This isn’t the kind of deck that will win every match, but if discard hasn’t been around your meta lately it could be surprisingly tough.

I’d love to hear some feed-back or suggestions, but if you suggest new cards please also suggest how I could make room for them. A way to recycle Pelennor Flat would be helpful, or ways for the fellowship to remove threats and become more survivable.

After major editing - thanks, everyone, for your feedback. The deck is maybe 2 cards bigger than I’d like, but there is some cycling on both sides. I don’t want to have a lower ratio of minions, which is why I decided against Desperate Measures as good as it would be. The shadow is very tight - every minion works with this particular strategy, and every non-minion card is vital. The Free People’s side could probably still use some tweaking. I decided to start Dain and Gimli instead of Thorin because they are stronger and will give less twilight. This isn’t a real choke deck, but giving the shadow less to work with is always good.
Last edited by turkeymk on Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:15 am; edited 4 times in total
FortunesRazor
Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:54 am
The major problem I see on the free peoples side is that you have 12 cards

Nobody tosses a dwarf x4
Greatest Kingdom of my people x2
Dwarven bracers
ring of accretion
ring of guile
hand axe
dwarven axe x2

that require a dwarf to play. While you have 4 Durin III’s what happens when your opening hand is 4 shadow cards and 1 nobody tosses a dwarf
1 dwarven axe 1 ring of guile and 1 dwarven bracers?

I think it would be beneficial to start a dwarf, which once I’ve looked at orophin and rumil you probably wouldn’t want to, or run a gimli RB which again deters from Galdriel using white arrows with all of her vit.

So it may be better to add another dwarf like Thorin III, Stonehelm in place of Radagast.

Then cut a copy of Greatest Kingdom for another copy and have 3 Thorin’s. It’s still not fool proof, but it may help.

Then on the minion side if you’re worried about frodo, courteous halfling then orc inquistitor won’t work against him. I would suggest adding Grishnakh, Orc Captain. He will either get you 3 more cards or 2 burdens.

Also you might be able to drop the 2 orc archer troop’s and 1 of both nazgul to free up 4 cards. You could use the tower of barad-dur or if you don’t think it will work because of frodo you could still free up a couple of spaces if you needed to. You could use that as space for the Grishnakh’s if you wanted to not drop the inquisitor. Or you could add Orc Slaughterer x4 as he would be a good orc to exert to play conditions because he gets a +4 for each wound.

I’ve been wanting to build a deck like this, but haven’t had a chance to play test it yet.
NBarden
Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:56 am
Um... Tower Lieutenant?
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:36 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
your freeps side is kinda whacked...add some more dwarves for certain if in doubt, dwarven warrior is always useful.
seeing as how your shadow is based on decking NOT corruption. add in several desperate measures. Bill ferny from fellowship. Mouth of Sauron to wrack on burdens or discarded cards with DDotR
Tower lieutenant is a MUST.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
macheteman
Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:48 pm
i dissagree with tower lietenant. i’ve run a very succesful deck without him. but yeah, i’d definately add more to the dwarvish side, and desparate measures is a beast when comboed with desparate defence of the ring. 4x of each would work well.
Check out my best article The Utterly Corrupt Corruption,
If at first you don't succeed...Sky-diving isn't for you.
"Combat is dangerous. It tends to interupt your breathing process."
ROLF!!!
legoles3333
Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:11 pm
Joined: 28 Nov 2006 Posts: 861 Location: In a place that is beyond your imagination
add a few more elves and Far-Seeing eyes
Here's My Trade List
I have taken an oath of poverty, to annoy me, send money
I am a trained assassin catcher
turkeymk
Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:37 pm
Thanks, you’ve all given me plenty of ideas and a few minions I’d forgotten about. I’ll try to work a few of them in.

I could forget elves (other than Galadriel), just keep her as the ringbearer for White Arrows, then build a mainly Dwarf deck. Galadriel’s resistance will be very low, so I guess against corruption I’m toast. Oh well, you can’t be good against every matchup. At least she’ll have massive vitality.

Or, I could go the other way and cut out Dwarves. Then I wouldn’t have to worry about support cards for 2 separate cultures. This would give me better ringbearer defense, but the Elves excell only at discarding cards from the opponent’s hand. Elves and Dwarves together can both wipe out their hand and make them discard from their draw deck.

Either way, I need to keep Radagast. the whole point of the deck is that I can triple to 9, and if the opponent is unwise enough to discard cards for his text, it makes my job even easier.

Let’s see what we can come up with.
macheteman
Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:32 am
i’d suggest make it mainly Dwarf. with a legolas splash for the white arrows. and use a gimli ring-bearer. that should work well, gimli will have much higher resistance than galadriel.

-mm
ROLF!!!
FortunesRazor
Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:52 am
Your ring-bearer is only resistance 4. That’s probably not good enough. It may be better to just start Gimli Dain Durin

You’re losing the white arrows of Lorien Combo which stinks, but you could keep it with Gimli Ring-bearer/Legolas/Linnar

then pull Durin and Thorin

Legolas is already an archer which would free up the need for the bows, he could use the tale of Gil-Galad, and Aiglos to get some extra Vitality.
macheteman
Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:16 am
oh, and be sure to put in 4x Band of the eye. awesome minion.
ROLF!!!

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Expanded