LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:35 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
Okay, so I just picked the Sil up from the library, and I’ve been reading through it now. I’ve gotten to the tale of Túrin, and this thing is awesome!! I’d read through it before...actually, skimmed, and it’s a really cool book. I just never appreciated it before.

Anyway, who else has read/is reading the Sil, and what do/did you think of it?
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
AgentDrake
Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:24 pm
Joined: 01 Apr 2007 Posts: 667 Location: Halfway between eccentric and insane...
I loved the book, but it took me twice through before I actually comprehended it. Laughing
Never kid about politicians. The more bizarre the joke, the more likely it is to come true.
macheteman
Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:46 pm
good. could only skim it. liked baren and luthien. unfinished tales was awesome.
Check out my best article The Utterly Corrupt Corruption,
If at first you don't succeed...Sky-diving isn't for you.
"Combat is dangerous. It tends to interupt your breathing process."
ROLF!!!
ingold55
Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:44 pm
Joined: 10 Oct 2005 Posts: 1199 Location: Out on the front line
It is a good book, but at times it is long.
There is a power in this world beyond any of us, and Jesus is that power and The Savior.

Cool this is my attempt to look cool.
Trade list (Want Balrogs and Aragorns)
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:33 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
I think it just takes some patience, and willingness to sit through it all. When it came down to it, the whole Feanor thing was really cool. He’s an interesting character.
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
lem0nhead
Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:01 am
I heard it was boring and after the trilogy and tolkiens inability to pass up the opprtunity to describe every tree and hill in a forest i decided to give it a miss. So is it worth reading or is it like one big house of tom bombadil?
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
BearerOfQuality
Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:13 am
I havn’t started reading it yet, I’m just finishing through The Unfinished Tales, which details in full key events in the 2nd and 3rd age? Looks at history such a the Dwarves, the coming of the Istari and the land of Rohan and its beginning. It’s actually really quite good, details some of the key battles in Tolkein’s history.
http://trade.mahasamatman.com/Rings/list_show.pl?user=harrisonl
(needs updating)

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - Best. Film. Ever.
Shieldmaiden
Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:16 am
Joined: 07 May 2007 Posts: 389 Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
I read The Silmarillion a while back, but I couldn’t come to grips with it. I reread it again about 2 months ago and was amazed at how much I understood. It makes a lot of things from LOTR a lot clearer. Now I’m rereading LOTR (for the 4th time), and I can see little things here and there that refer to The Silmarillion.
Tolkien’s world is so detailed and intricate. He had a whole history mapped out in his head. It’s amazing!
BearerOfQuality
Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:43 am
Yeah I would recommend the Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales, they do make sense after a while. i wouldn’t bother with the Histories of Middle-Earth (a 12 book set). it’s incredibly hard work. I have tried two and they are essentially Tolekins notes on parts of Middle Earth history, very dry
http://trade.mahasamatman.com/Rings/list_show.pl?user=harrisonl
(needs updating)

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - Best. Film. Ever.
corvus
Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:07 am
Joined: 13 Oct 2006 Posts: 1696 Location: Roaming, but dangerous!!!
I have read the Silm about 10 times. I love that book. It is just like history,olny way more interesting! Everyone who thinks it’s boring doesn’t really love LOTR.
Click here if you want to trade some foils away Wink
Far, Far beyond the island we dwelt in shapes of twilight
Through draught and weary days
Through grief and endless pain

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion