LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:02 pm
Heyheyhey,

I’ll be posting short reviews of cards I find that I really like and think everyone should check out. I’ll start it off right now...

Spirit of the White Tree

If you thought Faramir, Son of Denethor was good, check this card out! Spirit of the White Tree is quite honestly a game-changer if I ever saw one. It is INCREDIBLY harsh to play against, definitely NPE. When you use it, you are safe against any skirmish tricks and don’t have to worry about a surprise skirmish event.

This card really kills against any deck that focuses entirely around skirmish events or skirmish special abilities. Ninja Gollum, Scouting Orc Grind, and any beatdown deck are all good examples of this.

The card does have a drawback, however; if the Shadow player adds a burden, it gets discarded. Courtyard Parapet is an easy way to do this, but that card is X-ed in Standard format. And really, the vast majority of decks have no burden-adding cards, so it’ll function well against most decks.

But really, this card is just crazily good. Try it out in your deck, and believe me you won’t be disappointed. It is in fact so good that my local playing group has outlawed it from all casual games.

---

- AC
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead
lem0nhead
Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:23 am
My local playing group have outlawed this as well, cos with a few of em out its like perspective but without the threat addition and removes the fun from shadow sides.

Excellent card IF it was unique. Faramir son of denethor + 4 of these on Gondor companions = dull game.
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
BearerOfQuality
Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:32 am
I agree with LH, a very, very bad card in that you can load these on your companions and pretty much shuts down half the shadow decks out there...which I guess wouldn’t be bad in some situations, but really bad cards combating bad cards isn’t the way forward. It’s a good ability to have on just Faramir, Son of Denethor, but this should be binned. The thing that is going for it though is an absolutely ace picture!
http://trade.mahasamatman.com/Rings/list_show.pl?user=harrisonl
(needs updating)

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - Best. Film. Ever.
NBarden
Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:40 am
Unban Corutyard Parapet.

Just about every culture can add a burden, right? So just stick that card in the deck and this card is dealt with. Those who don’t can discard conditions.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:26 pm
Courtyard Parapet was banned for a reason. It’s not good to battle one broken card (SotWT) with another (CP).

Next review...

Surrendered Weapons

0 Surrendered Weapons Rohan
Condition • Support Area
Each time the fellowship moves, you may spot a Rohan companion to discard a possession a character is bearing from play.
Skirmish: Add 1 to transfer a Rohan possession borne by a companion to another eligible bearer.
18 U 104

Read the card over. I couldn’t find a picture spoiler, so I typed in the text instead.

Cost-wise, it’s at the top of the list; being free and non-unique means that it won’t hurt you to pack extra copies.

The first line of game text is only so-so. With a bit of luck, you’ll kill off every minion before you double-move, but I suppose that in a rough instance it can help out.

The skirmish ability is GOLDEN! It is extremely helpful in the first parts of the game, since you can load up gear on one companion and then transfer the gear around in each skirmish so that every companion gets the benefits of having possessions. It’s even helpful later in the game, because very seldom will every Rohan companion be completely loaded up with gear. In addition, you can transfer around unique Rohan possessions like Erkenbrand’s Shield; with the shield, you can cancel every fierce skirmish by just adding twilight!!!

Another instance is where I had 3 companions loaded up with gear at Fords of Isen. Down come Grima, Wormtongue, returning a combined 8 possessions from Eomer and Eowyn. No fear! Haethen fought his skirmish first, and then gave the next companion in line a spear, bow, and mount, which (because of Fords of Isen) gave a +6 strength boost. Well, even though the opponent played 5 minions with good strength, I was able to win all my skirmishes because of Surrendered Weapons.

This is definitely a very under-rated card, mostly because the picture spoiler neverNOLINK came out and thus it hasn’t been seen by most players. I myself wouldn’t have seen it for a while but for the fact that my good friend pulled it in a pack of T&D, and then used it in his deck to kick my butt.

- AC
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:38 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
Yeah, it’s almost like one of the new hot potato cards for weapons. Fords of Isen is a brilliant combo. It also goes very nicely with companions like Eowyn, Restless Warrior, Gamling, Defender of the Hornburg, and older cards like Eowyn, Daughter of Eomund, Theoden, Lord of the Mark, and Gamling, Warrior of Rohan. So much potential...the card really should probably cost 1, but I ain’t complaining. Smile
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:38 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
Sweet card, have you considered doing a tricky thing with Free Peoples possessions and the first part of the text? Like Eowyn’s Sword, Dernhelm’s Blade?
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
lem0nhead
Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:36 am
Yeah this is a cool card, as DI says theres a lot of potential for combos and tactics but on its own its great for swapping swords and spears around for an extra +2 or 3 here and there in the skirmish phase. Awesome!
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
Glamdring
Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:15 pm
Cool thanks for sharing it with us! Yeah, I personally think spirit of the white tree is a bit like drinking red bull (high on caffeine), but it still has it’s weaknesses. But for the most part, I probably would either x-list it.
Great minds think alike.~CarpeGuitarrem
Rangers will rule the World!! (CC's Official Ranger Lover)
My Haves/Wants Please look!!

...much debate much hard feelings. ~SOP
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:35 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
DáinIronfoot wrote:
It also goes very nicely with companions like Eowyn, Restless Warrior, Gamling, Defender of the Hornburg, and older cards like Eowyn, Daughter of Eomund, Theoden, Lord of the Mark, and Gamling, Warrior of Rohan. So much potential...the card really should probably cost 1, but I ain’t complaining. Smile

Question
None of those cards can combo, I believe, since they require "Playing" as a cost. So...transferring the possession doesn’t count as playing...plus, an effect can’t be a cost for another ability.

Unless you meant something like playing a hand weapon on the companion, then transferring it, then playing another hand weapon...
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion