LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Gameplay Questions
NBarden
Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:51 pm
Question on Fiery Temper. Can you keep playing it as long as you pay its madness cost each time? Cause its an instant, so doesn’t it get discarded immediately?

<Moved to Gameplay Questions> FM
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
elf lvr
Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:41 pm
No, I don’t think so. When a card is played, it does go to your discard pile... but that’s not the same as being discarded. If the card is discarded by another action, say, Goldmeadow Lookout (the first card I could find that discards a card...), then, you may pay its madness cost to play it, instead of it being discarded.
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Winner of Best Personality in the FPCA. Thanks!
Archduke Elf Lvr - Archidoux of the Chosen Ones
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
Felipe Musco
Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:45 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
Not really. You see, whenever you play any card, after it resolves (or is countered, etc), it will either be put into play (if it’s a permanent now) or in the graveyard (if it didn’t turn into a permanent) immediately. The Madness mechanic lets you play a card even if you have to discard it. So, if any effect would cause you to discard a card with Madness, you can cast it by paying its madness cost AND IT’S STILL CONSIDERED AS DISCARDED. THe implications?
- If an opponent plays Stupor and randomly discards Fiery Temper, you can count it as discarded and ALSO play it for Red;
- If an opponent plays something like Cry of Contrition, you can CHOOSE to discard it, and still play it for Red;
- If you have a morphed Gathan Raiders, you can unmorph it by discarding Fiery Temper, and still play it for Red;
- If you have a creature enchanted with Crown of Oblivion, you can discard Fiery Temper to pump it, and still play it for Red;
- If you have 8 cards in hand and are at the discard step of the turn, you can discard it and still play it for Red.
These are some of the main uses for it. Just keep in mind that you have to pay the madness cost WHEN DISCARDING it, so if you can’t or don’t want to, you won’t have another chance to do so. Also, note that some creatures, like Reckless Wurm, have madness costs, so they can be played if they’re discarded REGARDLESS of the phase they were discarded, it’s as if they had a sort of built-in flash mechanich, when they’re discarded.
I don't like YOU.
NBarden
Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:17 pm
I see. But...its an instant, so does it turn into a permanent?

I’m a complete n00b.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Gameplay Questions