LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion
Celebrimbor
Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:25 pm
Does anyone here know how to speak at least some of the Elvish language, Quenya?

I currently know about 20 words, thanks to the complete tutorial and Dictionary I downloaded.

Sheesh, this Tolkien guy really did a lot, there is about 5000 words in the dictionary.
My Trading List
Popcorn is not gooey like fat, and also not crunchy like potato chips, but crispy like lettuce which makes it a healthy snack. Popcorn
Felipe Musco
Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:33 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
I can write Tengwar, although I’m not sure that helps...
I don't like YOU.
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:39 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
Same here, but that’s not the same thing. And even though Tolkien had 5,000 words, it’s not nearly enough for a full-fledged language! That’s what amazes me.
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
Shieldmaiden
Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:16 pm
Joined: 07 May 2007 Posts: 389 Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
So true, if anyone ever tells you that they are fluent in any of Tolkien’s elvish languages, then they’re either deluded or outright lying. As the previous posters have said, Tolkien didn’t write down enough words for a full language.
Like others, I can write in Tengwar (have fonts installed), and I know some of the words for both Quenya and Sindarin.
If you want to learn some Quenya, there is an excellent tutorial at Ardalambion: www.uib.no/people/hnohf
macheteman
Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:54 pm
it just goes to prove that man couldn’t have created languages.
Check out my best article The Utterly Corrupt Corruption,
If at first you don't succeed...Sky-diving isn't for you.
"Combat is dangerous. It tends to interupt your breathing process."
ROLF!!!
menace64
Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:08 pm
lol no. It just proves that, in one lifetime, one man cannot create a full language.
Riddle 9
When I came to Abraham I let him live just a moment longer. When I came to Moses I saved his life more than once. But the salmon... I regret to say I had a hand in its death.

Who am I?
lem0nhead
Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:00 am
And it proves some people have a bit more time on their hands than others!
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
Celebrimbor
Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:53 pm
CarpeGuitarrem wrote:
Same here, but that’s not the same thing. And even though Tolkien had 5,000 words, it’s not nearly enough for a full-fledged language! That’s what amazes me.

Though not full-fledged, one can become quite fluent in Quenya. There are some holes in the vocabulary, but what’s to stop us from making up a few words here and there.
My Trading List
Popcorn is not gooey like fat, and also not crunchy like potato chips, but crispy like lettuce which makes it a healthy snack. Popcorn
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:57 am
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
lem0nhead wrote:
And it proves some people have a bit more time on their hands than others!

GP thats hilarious.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
Apopatos
Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:12 pm
menace64 wrote:
lol no. It just proves that, in one lifetime, one man cannot create a full language.

Wrong! Many people have created full languages. The most famous of them is Esperanto who is created by the Russian doctor L. L. Zamenhof. It is a complete language with over 100,000 fluent speakers and it was meant to become the international language before people decide to speak english...
"...I stomp round and round, / Never lie on the ground, / Not even to die. / Oliphaunt am I..."

Apop's trading list
My references
Your deck is small...

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion