LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Standard (Type 2)
elf lvr
Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:17 pm
Okay, guys, this is one of my favorite decks to use in casual play, although I don’t have anyone really good to play against, so I need your advice on how to make this deck better, I’m hoping to go with it for FNM.

Oh, and if some of the cards arent’ standard-legal, tell me, because I’m a tad bit confused on a few of those. Thanks!

Lands:
9 Plains
9 Swam
2 Orzhov Basilica

Artifacts:
2 Orzhov Signet
Loxodon Warhammer (lifelink... yum)

Creatures:
3 Blind Hunter
Orzhov Pointiff
Ghost Council of Orzhova
Souls of the Faultless
Angel of Despair
3 Orzhov Guildmage
2 Soul Warden
2 Reya Dawnbringer
2 Calciderm
Kjeldoran Royal Guard
Solitari Priest
Urborg Syphon-Mage
Highway Robber

Instants:
2 Dark Banishing
Mortify
Dark Ritual
2 Douse in Gloom

Sorceries:
3 Benediction of Moons
Festering March
Ichor Slick x2

Enchantments:
Seal of Doom x2
Pillory of the Sleepless x2

Yeah, I know it’s a n00b deck and I know nothing about the game, so don’t bother telling that to me. Just give me a few ways to improve, some cards to trade for, good sets to buy...
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Winner of Best Personality in the FPCA. Thanks!
Archduke Elf Lvr - Archidoux of the Chosen Ones
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
Felipe Musco
Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:38 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
First thing: GET MWS! MUCH more easier to teach you through there. Then, these kinds of decks are control decks, and control decks usually play heavy-costed spells, so they need to hit every land drop possible until mid-game, so you need to run AT LEAST 23-24 lands. If you want to use signets, use 4 of them.
Now, I THINK I get where you’re trying to get at, which is draining an opponent’s life. I’d pack in Consume Spirit and Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth to help achieving that. Pay attention to the new "man-lands", specially the white one, as it can turn into a 1/5 creature, holding a lot of annoying attackers at bay. Also, take a look at Roilling Horror and Orzhova, Church of Deals. You need four-ofs of blind hunter, and POSSIBLY Orzhov Pontiff, but you can get away with, say, 2-3 Ghost Council. Also, I understand where you’re trying to get at with Reya Dawnbringer, but 9 mana is an awfull lot to pay for, so you either have to find a way of tossing her at the graveyard and then playing Dread Return, I don’t see her hitting play very often, or fast enough to matter. Get stuff like Faith’s Fetters and Condemn, to stall the game long enough, since Wrath of God might be harder to get. And lose Souls of the Faultless, even though it DOES fit the strategy, defenders are not that great to have around, I’d rather go with the man-lands. Also, if you plan on using Urborg Syphon-Mage to good extent, get Squee, Goblin Nabob, since you can discard him "freely", or a pair of Grave-Scrabbler, if you have some way of sacrificing them (short of blocking, I guess Ghost Council will do), so you can keep one in the graveyard, then discard the other one to Syphon-Mage’s ability, pay its madness cost, get the first one back, sacrifice the one you played, lather, rinse, repeat. With Ghost Countil, that’s, like, 6 mana a turn for a 3-life swing, which is not very good...
I don't like YOU.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Standard (Type 2)