LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:22 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
Thranduil wrote:

2 • Kili and • Fili, Young Companions Dwarven
Companion • Dwarf
Str: 5
Vit: 3
Res: 6
Composite.
While you can spot Gandalf, this companion is strength +2.
While you can spot Bilbo, this companion is damage +1.
They had very sharp eyes, being the youngest of the dwarves by some 50 years...
H2 U 18

maybe while you can spot thorin they are twilight cost -1.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
lem0nhead
Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:57 am
I think the concept needs to be developed. If this companion dies it stops you from playing another version of TWO different companions. Yet the pay off for having 2 companions out in 1 is that you have "a nice theme"!!!??

Dude they need to have the stats of 2 dwarves or do something more funky than they do.

Just my 2 cents.
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
Thranduil
Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:23 am
lem0nhead wrote:
I think the concept needs to be developed. If this companion dies it stops you from playing another version of TWO different companions. Yet the pay off for having 2 companions out in 1 is that you have "a nice theme"!!!??

Dude they need to have the stats of 2 dwarves or do something more funky than they do.

Just my 2 cents.

That is a very good point, and well made. My only counter arguments are that the composites generally have more powerful abilities than any of their counterparts and it saves card space. This is especially true with the instruments from the first set, as each one (apart from Thorin’s and Bombur’s) names two or three characters specifically which are now the same companion. I’m very reluctant to make their stats worth 2 Dwarves as then they become high cost and hard to play in a starting fellowship. However, I will give it some thought, and add another one into the mix (remembering that Dwarves like threats):

2 • Ori, • Nori and • Dori, Faithful Companions
Companion • Dwarf
Str: 6
Composite.
Each time you play a Gandalf event, you may exert this companion to add or remove a threat.
Each time you play a Shire event, you may heal this companion.
... and very soon two purple hoods [and] a grey hood... were hanging on the pegs...
H1 U 26

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)
lem0nhead
Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:26 am
Hmmm ok so let me review:

Thranduil wrote:

Companion • Dwarf
Composite.
H2 U 18

Thranduil

You said theyd have more powerful abilites to offset the 2 companion thing. This is no better than Theoden Renowned etc...

Thranduil wrote:

2 • Ori, • Nori and • Dori, Faithful Companions
Companion • Dwarf
Composite.
Each time you play a Gandalf event, you may exert this companion to add or remove a threat.
... and very soon two purple hoods [and] a grey hood... were hanging on the pegs...
H1 U 26

Thranduil

Id say you may add a threat or exert this companion to remove a threat. Even though they "like" threats exerting to add one is not good.

Apart from that cool. But still seems weak for 3 companions unless youre playing lots of shire events but still...
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
Aragorn, King in Exile
Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:30 am
I have a question about these composite companions. Do they count as one companion when spotting for cards(a.k.a. Would Fili and Kili count as the two dwarves needed for Durin III?), or do they count as two?
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:17 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
I agree with lemon make their abilities better. or make their uniqueness not apply in the dead pile.
I would cut the exert entirely from the gandalf event ability.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
Thranduil
Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:13 pm
Aragorn, King in Exile wrote:
I have a question about these composite companions. Do they count as one companion when spotting for cards(a.k.a. Would Fili and Kili count as the two dwarves needed for Durin III?), or do they count as two?

Yes, they count as one one companion when spotting for cards, so you cannot use Fili and Kili to play Durin III.

To rethink their abilities:

Companion • Dwarf
Composite.
H2 U 18

2 • Ori, • Nori and • Dori, Faithful Companions Dwarven
Companion • Dwarf
Composite.
Each time you play a Dwarven event, you may add a threat.
Each time you play a Gandalf event, you may exert this companion to remove a threat.
H1 U 26

Thranduil
Last edited by Thranduil on Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:52 pm; edited 3 times in total'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
lem0nhead
Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:01 am
Both better. Still unsure about the fine details but better.
Thranduil
Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:46 am
Okay, I’ll plough through and hope you’re convinced by the end.

3 • Oin and • Gloin, Disgruntled Companions Dwarven
Companion • Dwarf
Str: 7
Composite.
While you can spot a Dwarf, this companion’s twilight cost is -1.
Each time a possession or artifact is played on Gandalf, you may remove 3.
Each time a possession or artifact is played on Bilbo, you may heal this companion.
Then the rain began to pour down worse than ever, and Oin and Gloin began to fight.
H2 R 24

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

DáinIronfoot
Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:01 am
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
Interesting idea. I have a number of "Dual Character" cards myself. Such cards:

- tend to combine the strength and cost of the two characters represented, but share their normal vitality; a card like Legolas & Gimli, for example, would have 12 strength, 3 vitality, and cost 4.

- are spotted as two distinct companions, but one card. Thus they can bear 2 hand weapons, 2 ranged weapons, etc.

- have no new keyword, but are instead listed as "Companions" rather than "Companion" (or "Minions" instead of "Minion", as the case may be). If they are seperate races, it will list them as such ("Elf & Dwarf" with the example above); if the same race, it will say "Men" or "Dwarves" or "Orcs" or whatever.

To be frank, I’m not sure I like the idea of a combined Kili and Fili having only 5 strength. I understand it, certainly, especially with the text. But t just strikes me as...off somehow.

As they stand now, I think the abilities are too good for 2-cost companions. I know it certainly encourages unusual fellowships, which is what you’re going for, but they just seem too good with their low costs.
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards