LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:29 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
Thranduil wrote:
Okay, I’ll plough through and hope you’re convinced by the end.

3 • Oin and • Gloin, Disgruntled Companions Dwarven
Companion • Dwarf
Str: 7
Vit: 3
Res: 6
Composite.
While you can spot a Dwarf, this companion’s twilight cost is -1.
Each time a possession or artifact is played on Gandalf, you may remove 3.
Each time a possession or artifact is played on Bilbo, you may heal this companion.
Then the rain began to pour down worse than ever, and Oin and Gloin began to fight.
H2 R 24
Thranduil

shoudl be something about playing possessions/artifacts on dwarves
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
Thranduil
Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:49 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:
To be frank, I’m not sure I like the idea of a combined Kili and Fili having only 5 strength. I understand it, certainly, especially with the text. But t just strikes me as...off somehow.

Which just shows the difference in creativity, for while your dual cards are certainly interesting, I wasn’t convinced by them either. My problems with them are that I don’t think companions should ever have such high base strengths and they’d be too expensive, which poses a problem especially with regards to starting fellowships (though you probably didn’t base a strategy around them like I have).

DáinIronfoot wrote:
As they stand now, I think the abilities are too good for 2-cost companions. I know it certainly encourages unusual fellowships, which is what you’re going for, but they just seem too good with their low costs.

I understand this point entirely, but it leaves me in a serious pickle.

I suppose the question boils down to how much of a disadvantage it is having a single companion prevent you from playing 2 or 3 others (and vice versa), even in your dead pile. Would it be generally better if the composites counted as the number of Dwarves in them?

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)
lem0nhead
Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:10 am
Thranduil wrote:
Okay, I’ll plough through and hope you’re convinced by the end.

3 • Oin and • Gloin, Disgruntled Companions Dwarven
Companion • Dwarf
Composite.
While you can spot a Dwarf, this companion’s twilight cost is -1.
Each time a possession or artifact is played on Gandalf, you may remove 3.
Each time a possession or artifact is played on Bilbo, you may heal this companion.
Then the rain began to pour down worse than ever, and Oin and Gloin began to fight.
H2 R 24

Thranduil

Wow cool.

As far as the Thran/DI composite debate goes i think thran got it dead on when he said its just the difference in creativity between you 2 guys. I wasnt convinced about them originally but i can see them in a new light now whereas i saw what Dain was doing and it was ok but i shared Thrans fears that they were to costly and too strong.

I think you have to agree to differ.
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
Anvar
Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:07 am
I don’t know if this is a good idea or not, but it struck me that Composite could have an interesting drawback, allowing you to make the characters more powerful.

What about if they only count as a single companion for the purposes of the rule of 9, but as the number of companions as they have uniqueness dots for all other purposes? Of course, things like Anduin Banks suddenly become very very dangerous, and the companions would have to have good enough abilities to offset that.

Like I said, I’m not sure it’s a good idea, and actually the current form is a lot simpler (and therefore perhaps better) but it is interesting.

Anvar
Thranduil
Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:12 am
Anvar wrote:
I don’t know if this is a good idea or not, but it struck me that Composite could have an interesting drawback, allowing you to make the characters more powerful.

What about if they only count as a single companion for the purposes of the rule of 9, but as the number of companions as they have uniqueness dots for all other purposes? Of course, things like Anduin Banks suddenly become very very dangerous, and the companions would have to have good enough abilities to offset that.

Like I said, I’m not sure it’s a good idea, and actually the current form is a lot simpler (and therefore perhaps better) but it is interesting.

Anvar

That is very interesting, but I think unnecessarily complex. And think about Anduin Banks with 15 companions though only 9 cards each with an average of 3 vitality - that would be insane.

I accept that the composites have, to some extent a built in drawback, and a similar idea to Anvar’s could be used to counter-balance it. What if the composites counted as the number of Dwarves as listed, but only one companion? Would this work?

So I don’t stall, bear that issue in mind while I continue. The reason this guy has a locked ability is because Balin and Dwalin have an instrument for them which Unlocks them, which is not the case for any previous composites.

4 • Balin and • Dwalin, Noble Companions Dwarven
Companion • Dwarf
Vit: 4
Res: 7
Composite.
Locked:
Bilbo is damage +1.
Fellowship: Exert this companion to play a Dwarven tale from your draw deck.
When he got back, Balin and Dwalin were talking at the table like old friends (as a matter of fact they were brothers).
H2 R 1

Thranduil
Last edited by Thranduil on Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:12 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
I am still getting used to the idea. their second ability should be knocked down to one exertion IMHO
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
lem0nhead
Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:40 pm
Thranduil wrote:

4 • Balin and • Dwalin, Noble Companions Dwarven
Companion • Dwarf
Vit: 4
Res: 7
Composite.
Locked:
Bilbo is damage +1.
Fellowship: Exert this companion to play a Dwarven tale from your draw deck.
When he got back, Balin and Dwalin were talking at the table like old friends (as a matter of fact they were brothers).
H2 R 1

Thranduil

Sweeet!
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
Thranduil
Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:32 pm
This is the last one, I believe. Next I’ll move onto the Dwarves of the Iron Hills and the Battle of the Five Armies.

2 • Bifur and • Bofur, Large Companions Dwarven
Companion • Dwarf
Str: 6
Composite.
Locked: Fellowship:
Discard a Dwarven event from your hand to play a Shire or Gandalf condition from your discard pile.
Maneuver: Discard a Dwarven condition to take into hand a Gandalf or Shire event from your discard pile.
’It is not like you, Bilbo, to keep friends waiting on the mat, and then open the door like a pop-gun! Let me introduce Bifur, [and] Bofur...’
H2 U 2

Thranduil
Last edited by Thranduil on Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

lem0nhead
Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:29 am
Both locked? And theyre not that good. I would alter these guys. Dont know how but it doesnt seem that good.
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:50 am
they definitly do not seem that good.
"DáinIronfoot"

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards