LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
lem0nhead
Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:37 am
Why do all these competitions need bumping? Deadline is waaaaaay past NB. Any new cards going up?
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
NBarden
Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:21 pm
The contest is still going. Thanks for the bump lem0n. The fact is, midterms session 2. I just got two exams done yesterday and today, and there’s one more that’s actually TBD still, but probably in a week or so.

So sorry I’m not on top of things. But I just got Dain’s and need EL’s.

Once I get them all, I will post. However, there is a deadline of Saturday, or EL is eliminated.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:48 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
I might seem biased, but the deadline is way past. eliminate EL. Its what you should do. if you don’t take a stand somewhere DC contest are all going to die
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
elf lvr
Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:43 pm
Since this thread hasn’t been on the front page for a week, can you blame me for forgetting about it?

But sorry for not remembering, I’m glad it wasn’t me that held this contest up, though! Very Happy

I’ll get to work on those RIGHT NOW.

If you don’t have them in 15 minutes you can kick me out.
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Winner of Best Personality in the FPCA. Thanks!
Archduke Elf Lvr - Archidoux of the Chosen Ones
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
NBarden
Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:35 pm
As EL said, its not his fault. Besides, weren’t you late as well SoP? I think you were. And I just got Dain’s today as well.

Well...here they all are! Vote for your favorite in each round.

Round 1 Dain vs WLC

DáinIronfoot wrote:
10Cave Troll of Moria, Fearsome Beast Moria
Minion • Troll
Strength: 13
Vitality: 4
Site: 4
Lurker. Fierce. To play, spot a Moria minion.
While at an underground site, Cave Troll of Moria is damage +1.
Cave Troll of Moria is strength +1 for each wound on each character in its skirmish.
“A huge arm and shoulder, with a dark skin of greenish scales, was thrust through the widening gap. Then a great, flat, toeless foot was forced through below.”

1Cave Troll’s Chain, The Beast’s Whip Moria
Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +2
Bearer must be a Moria Troll.
This weapon may be borne in addition to 1 other hand weapon and may be played any time you could play a skirmish event.
Skirmish: Discard this possession to exert a companion.
Normally used by its keyward to keep it in check, the chain fastened to the cave troll became a deadly weapon when the beast was unleashed.

1Cave Troll’s Hammer, Devastating Weapon Moria
Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +3
Bearer must be Cave Troll of Moria.
Skirmish: Exert Cave Troll of Moria twice (or once if you can spot 6 companions) to exert a companion.
The entire chamber shook each time the cave troll brought its massive hammer down.

WeyounsLastClone wrote:
[12] •Cave Troll of Moria, Underground Terror Orc
Minion • Troll
Strength: 15
Damage +1. Fierce.
Cave Troll of Moria is twilight cost -1 and strength +1 for each Free Peoples culture you can spot.
Skirmish: While Cave Troll of Moria is skirmishing a companion, the Free Peoples player may exert a companion of a different culture than the skirmishing companion to make the Cave Troll of Moria strength -2.
"They have a cave troll!"

2 Cave Troll’s Hammer, Devastating Weapon Orc
Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength: +2
Bearer must be a Troll.
If bearer is Cave Troll of Moria, it is strength +1 and damage +1.
Maneuver: Exert bearer to make the Fellowship’s current site lose a keyword of your choice.
Crushing everything it came in contact with, the hammer of the Cave Troll was devastating as no other weapon in Moria.

1 •Cave Troll’s Chain, Unwieldy Weapon Orc
Possession
Bearer must be a Troll.
If bearer is Cave Troll of Moria, at the start of each skirmish involving it, reveal the top card of the Free Peoples’ draw deck. If it is a Shadow card, wound the Cave Troll of Moria; otherwise, wound a companion involved in that skirmish.
As powerful as it was unwieldy, the Cave Troll’s chain was intimidating for everyone who faced it.

I find it interesting that they came up with the same subtitle for the hammer. Oh well.

Round 2 EL vs SoP

elf lvr wrote:
10 *The Cave Troll of Moria, Guard of the Underdeeps Orc
Minion * Troll
Damage +1. Fierce.
While at an underground site, The Cave Troll of Moria is twilight cost -3.
The Cave Troll of Moria is strength +1 for each race you can spot in the fellowsihp.
There was a blow on the door that made it quiver; and then it began to grind slowly open, driving back the wedges. A huge arm and shoulder, with a dark skin of greenish scales, was thrust through the widening gap.

1 *The Cave Troll’s Chain, Whip of Steel Orc
Possession
Bearer must be a Troll. When you play this possession, you may draw a card.
At the beginning of the archery phase, you may spot a culture. Companions of that culture do not add to the fellowship archery total.
The chains upon its legs had snapped; now it was weilding them much like a whip, scoring deep gashes in the rock walls of the tomb.

2 *The Cave Troll’s Hammer, Fist of Steel Orc
Possession * Hand Weapon
Strength: +3
Bearer must be a Troll. While you can spot 2 Free Peoples cultures, bearer is damage +1.
If bearer is the Cave Troll of Moria, each time he wins a skirmish, you may discard a condition (or two fortifications).
There was a blow on the door that made it quiver; and then it began to grind slowly open, driving back the wedges.

sickofpalantirs wrote:
[10] Cave troll of Moria, Scatterer of Foes Moria
Minion • Troll
Strength • 15
Vitality • 4
Site Number • 4
Damage +1, Fierce
Assignment :
Exert the cave troll of Moria twice to assign him to skirmish a companion (except the ring-bearer). The free peoples player may make each of your Moria minions strength +2 until the regroup phase to prevent this.
The fellowship’s ordered battle line was destroyed as the cave troll charged in

Editors Note. Stats need no explaining. But for the ability, The cave troll seemed to mostly choose his fights, and while he was fighting, the other orcs seemed to do slightly better (unless he smashed them) +2 may seem small since he can only do it once right? wrong. look below.

1 Cave troll’s Chain, Shackle and Scourge Moria
Possession • Ranged Weapon
Vitality • +1
Bearer must be the Cave Troll of Moria. Shadow : Remove a threat to play a Moria possession from your discard pile on your Moria minion. If you can spot The Troll’s Keyward, you may add 2.
The cave troll’s chain seemed like no more than a leash, but soon it had laid Boromir low. and scattered the already strained fellowship

With this vitality bonus, your swarms can be a little more potent, especially if you have enough threats to add twilgiht. But how does moria get threats? I always thought the borne in addition to one other hand weapon was...lame and potentially abusable, so I made it a ranged weapon. He can use it at quite a distance.

2 Cave troll’s Hammer, Mattock of the Beast Moria
Possession • Hand weapon
Strength • +3
Bearer must be the Cave Troll of Moria. Each time bearer wins a skirmish you may remove 1 or exert bearer to add a threat.
Though Crudely crafted, the troll’s hammer was deadly with his bestial strength

Here you go, the icing on the cake. if you use his ability twice, and it is prevented both times you have a base 22 strength minion. Try to get that guy to lose. which means 2 threats for later use. to sum it all up, I decided moria needed some help in areas it was lacking in...threats for example, and did it. OK I could’ve made him orc, but honestly which is cooler Moria or orc? to bad I couldn’t have made a trolls keyward to fill out the strategy a little more...oh well I am barely squeezing by the deadline as it is

all the stuff in bold should be posted with the DC’s NB.
Thanks,
SoP

So far, SoP has been the ONLY person to take advantage of my Designer Notes policy. Oh well.

Deadline for voting is next Thursday. And then the final round. Guess what that is?
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Thranduil
Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:58 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Minion • Troll
Cave Troll of Moria is strength +1 for each wound on each character in its skirmish.
“A huge arm and shoulder, with a dark skin of greenish scales, was thrust through the widening gap. Then a great, flat, toeless foot was forced through below.”

I have the strangest feeling of deja vous with this card... Nice to have a Moria lurker, and also beserker!

DáinIronfoot wrote:
Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +2
This weapon may be borne in addition to 1 other hand weapon and may be played any time you could play a skirmish event.
Normally used by its keyward to keep it in check, the chain fastened to the cave troll became a deadly weapon when the beast was unleashed.

Great synergy and interesting weapon.

DáinIronfoot wrote:
Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +3
Skirmish: Exert Cave Troll of Moria twice (or once if you can spot 6 companions) to exert a companion.
The entire chamber shook each time the cave troll brought its massive hammer down.

Great synergy again, but a little unimaginative. And weird to put in a reduction clause for a wounding a guy that loves to be wounded.

WeyounsLastClone wrote:
Minion • Troll
Damage +1. Fierce.
Cave Troll of Moria is twilight cost -1 and strength +1 for each Free Peoples culture you can spot.
Skirmish: While Cave Troll of Moria is skirmishing a companion, the Free Peoples player may exert a companion of a different culture than the skirmishing companion to make the Cave Troll of Moria strength -2.

First ability is FANTASTIC, but the second is too complicated and incredibly weird having a FP action on a Shadow card! Not sure what the implications of that is, but I’m sure there’s a better wording.

WeyounsLastClone wrote:
Possession • Hand Weapon
Bearer must be a Troll.
Maneuver: Exert bearer to make the Fellowship’s current site lose a keyword of your choice.
Crushing everything it came in contact with, the hammer of the Cave Troll was devastating as no other weapon in Moria.

Interesting, except it’s a shame it has nothing to do with the Cave Troll above.

WeyounsLastClone wrote:
Possession
Bearer must be a Troll.
If bearer is Cave Troll of Moria, at the start of each skirmish involving it, reveal the top card of the Free Peoples’ draw deck. If it is a Shadow card, wound the Cave Troll of Moria; otherwise, wound a companion involved in that skirmish.
As powerful as it was unwieldy, the Cave Troll’s chain was intimidating for everyone who faced it.

I like the weapons’ subtitles, but again no synergy.

elf lvr wrote:
Minion * Troll
Damage +1. Fierce.
The Cave Troll of Moria is strength +1 for each race you can spot in the fellowsihp.
There was a blow on the door that made it quiver; and then it began to grind slowly open, driving back the wedges. A huge arm and shoulder, with a dark skin of greenish scales, was thrust through the widening gap.

’Free Peoples race’ would have been a better wording. Surely too good considering the original had exactly the same stats and keywords but required spotting a Moria Orc and didn’t have an inbuilt strength bonus.

elf lvr wrote:
Possession
At the beginning of the archery phase, you may spot a culture. Companions of that culture do not add to the fellowship archery total.
The chains upon its legs had snapped; now it was weilding them much like a whip, scoring deep gashes in the rock walls of the tomb.

Love the subtitles of the possessions, and love the ability.

elf lvr wrote:
Possession * Hand Weapon
Bearer must be a Troll. While you can spot 2 Free Peoples cultures, bearer is damage +1.
If bearer is the Cave Troll of Moria, each time he wins a skirmish, you may discard a condition (or two fortifications).
There was a blow on the door that made it quiver; and then it began to grind slowly open, driving back the wedges.

Not sure what fortifications have to do with anything, but certainly good condition discard and nice synergy.

sickofpalantirs wrote:
Minion • Troll
Strength • 15
Vitality • 4
Site Number • 4
Damage +1, Fierce
Assignment :
Exert the cave troll of Moria twice to assign him to skirmish a companion (except the ring-bearer). The free peoples player may make each of your Moria minions strength +2 until the regroup phase to prevent this.

Fun fun fun!

sickofpalantirs wrote:
Vitality • +1
Bearer must be the Cave Troll of Moria. Shadow : Remove a threat to play a Moria possession from your discard pile on your Moria minion. If you can spot The Troll’s Keyward, you may add 2.
The cave troll’s chain seemed like no more than a leash, but soon it had laid Boromir low. and scattered the already strained fellowship

I think this card is trying to do too much, especially the threat thing, but a good call on the vitality bonus given your cave troll.

sickofpalantirs wrote:
Possession • Hand weapon
Strength • +3
Bearer must be the Cave Troll of Moria. Each time bearer wins a skirmish you may remove 1 or exert bearer to add a threat.

You can’t really introduce threats into the Moria culture with 3 cards, especially as the Cave Troll himself has nothing to do with them. I would have either done something else or made the Troll all about threats in the first place.

And SoP, i enjoyed your designer’s notes, even though I deleted them when I reviewed your cards!

However much I liked WLC’s individual cards, the lack of synergy means I have to go for Dain who connected his simply and effectively.

Second one’s much tougher, but I think I’m going to have to go for EL, even though his troll is OP and SoP’s cards were very cool (and in a better culture!) The threats did it, I think, for me.

So, I vote:

Dain
EL

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)
lem0nhead
Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:13 am
WLC

SoP

Both refreshing ideas, with novel text and fun combos. The others were good entries. Wasnt easy to decide had to read them all several times. Dain’s were solid and balanced and EL’s were funky and cool but competition was of a great standard.
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
NBarden
Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:50 am
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Minion • Troll

A berserker troll! Sweetness! However, he is somewhat underpowered. An auto-damage +1 bonus would have been better, or cutting the spotting ability, as is, its weak.

Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +2

LOL! So you can get 4 of these in your hand and play, discard, play, discard, play, kill with troll, fierceness, discard, fun stuff. Great synergy.

Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +3

Whoa...okay....whoa... I still would use this on a different cave troll, but awesome.

Overall, the Troll was weak, but his toys were awesome. And great synergy.

WeyounsLastClone wrote:
Minion • Troll
Damage +1. Fierce.

Okay, me confused. Its designed to hose cultures, but gives the FP an easy way out? Meh.

Possession • Hand Weapon
Bearer must be a Troll.

Nice, like it, but no synergy.

Possession
Bearer must be a Troll.

This would be great with Dain’s troll. But I still miss the synergy.

Overall, mediocre troll, and no synergy with the weapons.

elf lvr wrote:
Minion * Troll
Damage +1. Fierce.

Other than a typo, cool. I love this guy. Pushes the edge. It may be OP, but its nice to see a card that’s not that weak and would actually get some use.

Possession

Weird symmetry. Very weird. Somewhat of a clash of purposes, but you can’t have your cake and eat it to. Great check on brokeness.

Possession * Hand Weapon

Love it.

Awesome cards, great symmetry, but all the while with checks on brokenness. This is the best so far. SoP, you have a lot to overcome. The one thing I didn’t like is that the weapons can be borne by ANY troll, Moria, Sauron, OR Orc, which kinda pushes it a little.

sickofpalantirs wrote:
Minion • Troll
Strength • 15
Vitality • 4
Site Number • 4
Damage +1, Fierce
Assignment :

Editors Note. Stats need no explaining. But for the ability, The cave troll seemed to mostly choose his fights, and while he was fighting, the other orcs seemed to do slightly better (unless he smashed them) +2 may seem small since he can only do it once right? wrong. look below.

(Unless he smashed them. Laughing Great. I like it, perfect for swarms, but balanced because of his high twilight cost and lack of twilight reduction. If played right, awesome.

Vitality • +1

With this vitality bonus, your swarms can be a little more potent, especially if you have enough threats to add twilgiht. But how does moria get threats? I always thought the borne in addition to one other hand weapon was...lame and potentially abusable, so I made it a ranged weapon. He can use it at quite a distance.

HOLY COW! You’ve really impressed me. This is awesome! I love the Keyward combo. Hindsight, I shoulda assigned a Keyward as well, but oh well. Tricky to get to work, but if it does, look out world!

Possession • Hand weapon
Strength • +3

Here you go, the icing on the cake. if you use his ability twice, and it is prevented both times you have a base 22 strength minion. Try to get that guy to lose. which means 2 threats for later use. to sum it all up, I decided moria needed some help in areas it was lacking in...threats for example, and did it. OK I could’ve made him orc, but honestly which is cooler Moria or orc? to bad I couldn’t have made a trolls keyward to fill out the strategy a little more...oh well I am barely squeezing by the deadline as it is

Weird...and cool. I like it. City Gates/Nelya, problem with Moria threats solved. Thumbs Up A little complicated, and you have to work to make it work, but if it clicks, look out world.

all the stuff in bold should be posted with the DC’s NB.
Thanks,
SoP

Dain wins hands down in round 1. Sorry, but WLC failed to impress me that much.

Round 2...very difficult. Amazing competition, but I’ve always had a soft spot for swarms, and EL’s troll MAY be pushing OP...so I’m going with SoP. EL’s woulda won any other contest though.

I am very happy with the quality of the competition. This is awesome.
elf lvr
Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:12 am
Nice cards, SoP! Applause

Looks like I might lose this one, but at least I’ll put up a fight!

I vote Dain, by the way.
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Winner of Best Personality in the FPCA. Thanks!
Archduke Elf Lvr - Archidoux of the Chosen Ones
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:30 am
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
Probably not supposed to respond to "reviews" here, but I wanted to address one real quick:

Thranduil wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +3

Great synergy again, but a little unimaginative. And weird to put in a reduction clause for a wounding a guy that loves to be wounded.

Regarding the skirmish ability: think about it for a sec. If you can spot 5 or less companions, you must exert twice to exert a companion once. That’s a grand total of 3 exertions that the Troll could use to beef himself up. Not bad, but not as good as it could be, because unless you can find a way to heal the Troll, you can use the ability once and only once.

However, if you can spot 6 or more companions, you can now exert the Troll THREE times to add up to THREE exertions to companions. NOW you max out at a total of six, doubling the potential of the ability for Troll-pumping purposes and TRIPLING it for shear companion exerting purposes.

See why I did it now?

As for my vote, as everyone else has said, this is very, VERY tough. I LOVE EL’s cards, and I thought the fortification thing was a nice touch with his hammer. But the synergy between SoP’s cards is amazing, and it brings a great boost to the Moria culture overall.

In the end, I think I have to give the slightest of edges to SoP. Probably the closest competition I’ve ever seen.
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards