LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Expanded
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:37 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
I’ve been messing around with Aragorn, Well-traveled Guide for one deck of mine, and was toying with a variation of the famous "Pippin Engine" (discarding and replaying Pippin, Hobbit of Some Intelligence over and over) in another. Suddenly I realized I might be able to merge the two. It didn’t matter if Pippin was around at the start of my turn...as long as he was no longer in the fellowship by the time the archery phase rolled around, Aragorn’s text would still fully apply!

So, I jammed several copies of Pippin, HoSI and four copies of Make Haste (which lets you take a Hobbit into hand to make the opponent remove 2 or discard a minion) in with Aragorn, WTG and Frodo, and the results in SdA were...decent. It didn’t make or break the game, but I only got to use it properly once before I had to leave Pippin in there to absorb a powerful minion and be overwhelmed. I think my opponent anticipated it, too, as we had one more instance where he seemed to purposefully leave 2 in the pool in case I played Make Haste again. Still, in a deck that is made to choke, forcing them to always leave 2 or risk losing a minion is nothing to scoff at...except that I have to ADD that 2 in the first place with 1 to play Pippin and 1 more to move with him. Sad

But who knows? Maybe someone can find a way to make it work better than I was able to. I figured I’d throw the idea out there and see if anyone wanted to try.

In Expanded, I think this strategy could REALLY take off with Smeagol (who could even start with Aragorn and Frodo) and cards like Be Back Soon, Swear By the Precious, Scouting, Days Growing Dark, and Very Nice Friends. Several of those ARE Standard-legal, but Be Back Soon is definately the best of those, and it was from King block. Sad

Anyways, just some thoughts on how to cram extra companions into a "Solo Aragorn" deck and yet still reap the full benefits of Aragorn himself. Maybe someone else can make it more feasible than I could.
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
LeoKula
Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:41 pm
King block is legal in standard but be back soon is helm’s deep Thumbs Up
If you have a MW Éomer, Horsemaster, please let me know what you want for it Smile
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:56 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
Right. I think Be Back Soon is actually the ONLY one I listed that’s not Standard-legal, but it’s a pretty important one.

Still, I imagine a combo of the others might make it more feasible, especially Scouting and Very Nice Friends. Heck, you could probably run with those two alone and do alright, since the former discards him in maneuver and the latter plays him back in regroup, meaning it’s before and after Aragorn is at his best.
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
Atse_Kashte
Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:09 pm
This is a great idea... however, the biggest reason for my deck’s success is the insane amount of skirmish events, events you would not be able to get when your hand is clogged with companion discarding cards. Still, this deck is a great idea and I would be interested in playing a game against it sometime... are you up for an SdA game anytime?
Anautikus
Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:14 pm
What kind of deck? Aragorn, WTG + a RB?
My Haves/Wants
Let's Trade! Cool

"Don't waste your time, or time will waste you..."
Elessar's Socks
Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:06 am
Would A Ranger’s Versatility work well in these decks? If you’re choking and facing only one minion, the lone archery wound from Aragorn could actually be of some use. Laughing Then Pippin can waltz in to heal him or something like that.
Atse_Kashte
Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:14 am
Anautikus wrote:
What kind of deck? Aragorn, WTG + a RB?

Sorry, I believe Dain meant this deck as a kind of rebuttal to my Solo Aragorn deck.
NBarden
Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:07 pm
I don’t think it was a rebuttal. First of all, that’s not Dain’s personality. Second, WTG decks are all the rage atm. I have one on SdA as well. Although I prefer a good ol’ HttWC choke myself. Smile

No Stranger to the Shadows is an awesome card.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
Atse_Kashte
Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:58 pm
NBarden wrote:
I don’t think it was a rebuttal. First of all, that’s not Dain’s personality. Second, WTG decks are all the rage atm. I have one on SdA as well. Although I prefer a good ol’ HttWC choke myself. Smile

No Stranger to the Shadows is an awesome card.

Especially w/ Strider (kinda cancels his effect). And I’m not quite so conceited as to think that Dain only meant to argue my deck, but he did make a reference to "Solo Aragorn", and I thought since I posted my Solo Aragorn right before he posted his that he might have been "inspired" by my deck.
Dravius
Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:49 am
I play this deck with shadowplay, which means that pippin can exert thrice before getting back in hand then you can use aragorn to finish the minions off in archery (bow of minas tirith is a good option if you run pathfinder) then play pippin back to heal aragorn and remove some burdens off your RB.
-Darth Dravius, Dark Lord of the Sith

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Expanded