LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Standard
NappyKorn
Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:07 pm
Ring-Bearer and Ring

Frodo, Resolute Hobbit
The One Ring, The Great Ring

Starting Fellowship:

Cursed of Erech
Aragorn, Strider

Companions:

King of the Dead x2
Shadow Host
Sleepless Dead x4

Possessions and Artifacts:

Anduril, Sword That Was Broken x2
Spectre Sword x2
Sting, Elven Long Knive
Salt From the Shire x2

Conditions:

Hearts Raised
Stonger and More Terrible x4
Swept Away x3

Events:

At His Command x4
Elessar’s Edict x3
End of the Game x4

Followers:

Elendil’s Army x2

Strategy:

Well first you need to get your wraiths exhausted which isn’t to difficult with the Cursed of Erech game text (exert another Gondor Wraith to make Cursed of Erech defender +1) and the Follower needing to exert a Gondor companion. When they get exhausted you can play Swept Away which keeps exhausted Gondor Wraiths from taking wounds. So really the only way to kill the Wraiths are to overwhelm and since the are enduring they can be quite powerful when the are exhausted. I put in some threat removal cards (eg. Hearts Raised and Stronger and More Terrible) since most the cards in the deck add threats when played. Having the threats isn’t always a bad thing so I added At His Command which gives your wraith a +1 strength bonuses for each threat you can spot. Then with 2-3 Stronger and more Terrible out when they win a skirimish you get to remove the threats to play more companion later and for the add a threat whenever the fellowship move drawback of Swept Away. The Spectre Swords are there just for the +1 strength bonus since you really don’t want to heal them. I used Frodo, Resolute Hobbit with the Great Ring and the Salts From the Shire to give Frodo a possible 17 resistance to soak up any shadow archery you may encounter since the wraiths can’t take the wounds while exhausted. The Hearts Raised is there pretty much incase your Gondor Wraith can’t win skirmishes to remove threats and as I found out to help unclog your hand if you have no shodow cards in hand and you have threats to remove. I have tested this deck twice so far, it clobbered the wounding orcs it encoutered with ease which helped me to double move pretty much at will. The second shadow i played was the infamous Forretguls. They Kept me from doubling but in the end it was their freeps out running mine. You can see the game results of the Forrestguls against this Freeps here, It is the 4th post from the top. I Believe this is a great deck to play but of course I’m sure it can be beat by the right shadow. Any suggestions are always welcomed, so suggest or critize at will.

Oh yes, I chose Strider for my Aragorn of choice since His Twilight cost was 1 so he could start in my fellowship, and his adding 1 each time the fellowship moves isn’t that big of a drawback in this deck. And after encoutering Shapes Slowly Advancing I was glad I did since he was only [1]to replay him.

I do have one question, right now I run this deck with Ninja Gollum/Enduring Shelob with Orcs. I was wondering if maybe there was a better shadow side I should run with the Freeps side.

Thanks for Reading and any suggestions you feel like leaving,

NK
Last edited by NappyKorn on Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:43 pm; edited 1 time in totalNo Room
Collection 4 Sale
Deck Wants
NBarden
Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:20 pm
First off, Isildur RB. Must have for the deck. Helps when he fights. Aragorn, Driven By Need is the ’gorn of choice for this deck.

NO END OF THE GAME?!?!?!?!?! 4 copies please. Damage is great for finishing minions, as wraiths love to run. An extra Stronger and More Terrible please. Cut all the Salt from the Shire, Hearts Raised, Sting. Also, either develop Aragorn signets more fully or cut At His Command. Not worth it.

Also, most definitely add Seeing Stone of Orthanc. At this point, if you take my advice, you’d have enough artifacts to go narsil, Blade of the Faithful/Scroll of Isildur if you want, but I’d keep FBT and just go Scroll of Isildur.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
NappyKorn
Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:50 pm
I was debating on the gorn and went with the strider simple because if I didn’t use strider I’d only be able to play 1 comp in my starting fellowship since my 2nd cheapest wraith is a 3. I could cut 1 sleepless dead for an oathbreaker or Dead Man of Dunharrow and then play the prancing pony to get gorn out, which might be a good idea.

As for the RB I thought about Isildur but chose Frodo for 3 reason:

1. Almost all my wraiths get exhaust fast and Cursed of Erech is played exhausted.

2. with all my wraiths exhausting pretty well if he gets stuck skirmishing they can’t take wounds so the RB and Aragorn would not meet the 3 companion exertion drawback

3. If I run into a big archery shadow the wraiths can’t take the wounds so RB and Aragorn would eat the arrows so since the RB is going to get hit anyway why not add the burdens since with the salts and Sting he can get up to 17 resistance.

As for the aragorn signets If I did switch the RB Isildur has no Aragorn signet, Niether the Aragorn I use now or the One I’m thinking of replacing him with (the one you suggested) has the gorn signet, sleepless dead x4 (Aragorn signet), Shadow Host (Aragorn Signet) and King of the Dead, Oath Breaker (Aragorn Signet). The 1 Comp that I run without it is Cursed of Erech. So as for At His Command working it has done fine in the games I’ve played.

I may drop the 2 Hearts Raised and a sting to add 3 End of the Game, since i did run the at first but dropped them for other things simple because I didn’t get to play them in that game, and see how that works out.

Thanks for the advice,

NK
No Room
Collection 4 Sale
Deck Wants
NBarden
Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:57 pm
Okay, well trust me. I have a friend who runs an awesome wraith deck, and he uses Isildur/Driven By Need/Orthanc Stone/End of the Game. You need them.

I personally think you should scrap the signets for something more conventional. IMHO.

Strider doesn’t have signets either, BTW.
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
NappyKorn
Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:11 pm
I mentioned that strider has no signet as well as the driven by need. I may go ahead and replace how you suggest and see how it runs and compare the 2 builds and see which one works the best for me. I think that the At His Command is good considering the amount of threats that wraiths add when you play them as well as the one you add for moving with Swept away out. The 2 games I played with this deck the at his command added +5 strength each time i used it. Once with King of the Dead (exhausted) making him an 18 strength and once with Sleepless Dead (exhausted) making him strength 16. I will make a wraith deck how you suggest and try it out and see which I feel more comfortable playing.

Thanks,

NK
No Room
Collection 4 Sale
Deck Wants
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:17 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
NBarden wrote:
First off, Isildur RB. Must have for the deck. Helps when he fights. Aragorn, Driven By Need is the ’gorn of choice for this deck.

I’m mixed on both of these suggestions. I certainly understand the Isildur RB, but NK makes good points for using Frodo. I could go either way on that one.

Aragorn, Driven by Need is indeed AWESOME for this deck, but Strider does make good sense for starting with, especially if Isildur is not your RB (so you can have a Gondor Man). I’d certainly encourage trying to work in Driven by Need, but at the same time, I would not DIScourage using Strider as an alternative. If that makes any sense. Razz

NBarden wrote:
NO END OF THE GAME?!?!?!?!?! 4 copies please. Damage is great for finishing minions, as wraiths love to run. An extra Stronger and More Terrible please. Cut all the Salt from the Shire, Hearts Raised, Sting. Also, either develop Aragorn signets more fully or cut At His Command. Not worth it.

I agree with End of the Game: I’d drop several (or perhaps even all) of the Spectral Swords in favor of the same number of copies of EotG. I also agree with cutting Salt from the Shire--though I’d consider leaving one (never a bad option with a Shire RB)--and adding in some SaMT and/or Swept Away and/or EotG to fill in the hole. I would keep at least one Hearts Raised, personally, as it’s not bad for cycling and threat control. If you keep Frodo, I’d also keep Sting, though just one copy would probably suffice. You have plenty of threat removal already, and if it gets down to Frodo having to fight...well, you’re in plenty of trouble anyway. Laughing

NBarden wrote:
Also, most definitely add Seeing Stone of Orthanc. At this point, if you take my advice, you’d have enough artifacts to go narsil, Blade of the Faithful/Scroll of Isildur if you want, but I’d keep FBT and just go Scroll of Isildur.

Yeah, not a bad idea, though without Isildur, forget about Narsil and probably the Scroll.

In short: I agree with some of NB’s comments, but I think the fact that your deck is NOT a copy of the typical Wraith deck makes it all the better, NK. It’s your deck, and it certainly worked very well against me. A few tweaks would help, sure, but I don’t think you need to go making drastic, wholesale changes unless you really want to. You COULD always follow all the other suggestions with a new, seperate deck, of course, and then compare and see which you like better. *shrug*
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
NappyKorn
Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:49 pm
Made some adjustments:

add:

x4 End of the Game
x1 Stronger and More Terrible

Removed:

x1 Sting
x1 Salt
x2 Spectre Sword
x1 Hearts Raised

*** Going to try this, and Dain is right this isn’t your typical Gondor Wraith deck, I personally would like to build a deck somewhat my own style, so I’m not just copying someother deck, and this deck did suprisingly well in the 2 games I played on sDa.

Thanks everyone for your advice some was really helpful and didn’t completely alter the deck where some would have completely made it a different deck altogether which is not what I was looking for.

NK
No Room
Collection 4 Sale
Deck Wants
NBarden
Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:41 am
Cut all the salt for Scroll of Isildur. Smile
Elessar's Socks
Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:26 pm
It might be worth switching The Great Ring to a skirmish- or response-based ring in case Frodo’s ever hit by a bucketload of threats. Whichever ring saves you more often.

In Expanded, if playing Wraiths is ever a problem, The Shards of Narsil could help free up your hand.
LeoKula
Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:00 am
There’s a wraith called Oathbreaker, I start two of them in my deck and play 3x Aragorn, Driven By Need. I think you should try it and see how good it is to control threats so easily and even get bigger as threats grow.

On the rest of the deck the guys said pretty much everything, now it’s up to you, The only big thing I’d change is Isildur for Frodo, he is much stronger, can exert your wraiths and he is ISILDUR Twisted Evil fits the theme well, but hey, it’s your deck, if you like Frodo, stick with him!

There’s also an event, The Highest Quality from shadows, where you exert companions to make a minion -3 for each companion you exerted, awesome event for wraiths, I run 4 in my build Wink
If you have a MW Éomer, Horsemaster, please let me know what you want for it Smile

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Standard