LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Standard (Type 2)
NBarden
Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:54 pm
--- description ---
Conspiracy makes your Saprolings become Fungus, with all the Thallid goodies that come with that new status.
--- end description ---

F_M has been telling me I need to start with standard, but standard didn’t have any lockdowns I saw. However, I decided I’d give the format a shot, and so here’s my first attempt.

I plan to put a bunch of these decks I’m building into action as soon as I get a link to the MtG online software F_M’s been telling me about.

Oh well. Here goes.

Conspiracy make Saprolings into Fungus. Sporesower Thallid gives them all tokens. Sporoloth Ancient makes them all generate more Saprolings, meaning a perpetual mass, 1/1 creature generation machine. And by mass, I mean LOTS! Drooling Groodion can use those 1/1 guys to power up your other creatures and overrun opponent creatures simultaneously. Extrirpate gets rid of annoying opponent cards as well. Thellon of Havenwood makes your Thallids grow if you want, and makes them gain lots of counters.

Here’s the deck.

MANA BASE:

Overgrown Tomb x 4
Llanowar Wastes x 4
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth x 2
Pendelhaven
Forest x 4

Birds of Paradise x 4
Llanowar Elves x 4

BLACK

Conspiracy x 4
Extirpate x 4

GREEN

Sporoloth Ancient x 4
Sporesower Thallid x 4
Thallid x 4
Thelon of Havenwood x 2
Thallid Shell-Dweller x 4

Harmonize x 4
Summoner’s Pact x 2

BLACK/GREEN

Drooling Groodion x 3

Any thoughts? I think this decktype is called Heavy Aggro, right?
Last edited by NBarden on Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:21 pm; edited 6 times in totalExclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:50 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
You have 23 lands AND 8 accelerators, that`s... a lot. You can cut down to 21, or cut some accelerators and keep it at 22. Also, the greates problem with the archetype is that it`s a tad slower than most aggros, so a Wrath of God or similar effect can wreck you. I`d go and pack 4 Harmonize, to keep the power flowing in, so if they DO Wrath the board, you can Extirpate the Wrath and start over. Also consider adding Llanowar Wastes to the mana base, making for essentially 8 "duals". Then, I`d drop Savage Thallid. It`s too fragile (being hit by Incinerate, Ghostfire, Sudden Death AND Lightning Helix) and expensive, and remember, Conspiracy does not work like Hivestone, adding to the creature type, but it REPLACES it, so you won`t be able t use any ability requiring you to sacrifice a Saproling, since you won`t have any, as they`ll be Fungi the second they hit play, not giving you priority to do anything before it happens, as it`s a replacement effect. I`d consider, as well, packing Summoner`s Pact for finding the right Thallid, and Thallid Shell-Dweller, to stop early assaults as you build up the army.
I don't like YOU.
NBarden
Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:33 am
Yeah, I’m aware of the whole no longer saproling thing, I just needed extra Thallids for generating 1/1 fungus tokens.

Not sure about Summoner’s Pact. Kinda...volatile. What if I get my mana base slammed after playing it? Its an auto-loss. Confused
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Felipe Musco
Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:04 am
And what are the odds of that happening? Just keep in mind what your opponent is playing, and time it right (say, with a spare land in case one gets blown up). As for Thallids, I’d rather use Shell-Dweller than Savage.
I don't like YOU.
NBarden
Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:23 pm
Okay, added some Shell-Dwellers. And I also cut my swamps to throw in Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth. Making all my forests able to tap for green or black.

With that in mind, should I cut the Llanowar Wastes for typical forests, or keep them? I’m thinking keep in case I can’t grab a Urborg fast enough and when I do they can tap for Black for nothing and I won’t need to take the life hits to tap for green since I got a pretty nice Green mana base already.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Felipe Musco
Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:32 pm
I’d keep them.
I don't like YOU.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Standard (Type 2)