LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Standard (Type 2)
elf lvr
Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:27 pm
Lands:
Izzet Boilerworks x2
Island x9
Mountain x9

Artifacts:
Izzet Signet x2
Jhoira’s Timebug x3
Soultether Golem

Creatures:
Keldon Halberdier x2 (first strike)
Stingscourger x2 (bounce)
Lavacore Elemental x3
Shivan Sand-Mage x2
Keldon Marauders x2 (who doesn’t love a 3/3 for 2?)
Rift Elemental x2 (mwah hah hah...)
Infiltrator il-Kor x3 (shadow)
Veiling Oddity x2
Viscerid Deepwalker
Aeon Chronicler (draws cards!)
Errant Ephemeron (flying)

Enchantments:
Reality Acid x4

Instants:
Clockspinning
Gigadrowse x2
Timecrafting x2
Rift Bolt x2
Sift x2 (more draws...)

Okay. So some of those were pretty self-explanitory (as I explained... d'oh! ). But here’s the strategy: pure beatdown. Creatures with vanishing tend to be a cut above the others, and creatures with suspend often have handy little attachments to make them strong/hard to block.

That being said, let’s look at a few of my favorite cards here: for one, Shivan Sand-Mage. A decent guy who can suspend off turn one, as soon as he comes out, he can maybe unsuspend another creature, and you could easily have a 3 and a 4 creature swinging just from what you had suspended.

The finisher here is Veiling Oddity. With your cards that manipulate suspended cards, you should be able to throw him out whenever you feel prepared, and suddenly your opponent can’t block your many attacking creatures. Gigadrowse has a similar purpose, but isn’t as fun. Honesly, if they can’t block and you’ve got a Deepwalker around... ouch.

However, the REAL star of this deck is a little 1/1 creature most people might overlook... Rift Elemental. For a simple two mana, he can remove a time counter from a creature you’ve got out or from a suspended card. Plus, he gets +2/+0 each time you do this. Boo yah! Who cares what your creatures suspend for, in a simple pair of turns, you can throw out just about any card this deck suspends. This guy has 3 really amazing options, however: one, get a rift bolt or two suspended, and then quickly unsuspend them with this guy to give him +2 for each, and kill your opponent’s blockers in the process. With this, you could easily swing for 3-5 damage turn 3 or 4! Also, anyone notice Reality Acid here? Again, kill their creatures to power up yours! The best combo this guy’s got is, of course, Veiling Oddity. Drop a few time counters off of the Oddity, then suddenly you’re swining with a 5 or 7 Rift Elemental and Oddity, plus whatever else you’ve got, and they can’t block it!

Clockspinning and Timecrafting are no-brainers here: add or subtract time counters; it’s all good.

I just won a draft with a deck like this, and I know drafts aren’t at all like tourney play, but still, it did better than I expected. Against some people, I was throwing out close to 15 damage in a couple turns. Not bad, eh?
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Winner of Best Personality in the FPCA. Thanks!
Archduke Elf Lvr - Archidoux of the Chosen Ones
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
Felipe Musco
Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:18 am
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
Still too scattered. For starters, I’d try the following:

Lands:
Izzet Boilerworks x4
Shivan Reef x4
Steam Vents x4
Island x5
Mountain x5

Artifacts:
Izzet Signet x4
Jhoira’s Timebug x3

Creatures:
Keldon Marauders x4
Rift Elemental x4
Deep-Sea Kraken x2
Aeon Chronicler x3
Errant Ephemeron x3

Other spells:
Clockspinning x2
Timecrafting x2
Rift Bolt x4
Ancestral Visoon x4
Boomerang x3

Other stuff you can consider:

Unsummon
Jhoira
Remand
Delay
Twincast
Sulfurous Blast
I don't like YOU.
elf lvr
Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:18 pm
Looks like a solid list. I’ll try to aquire those cards. Razz
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Winner of Best Personality in the FPCA. Thanks!
Archduke Elf Lvr - Archidoux of the Chosen Ones
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
NBarden
Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:21 pm
I was just going to ask why no Steam Vents? Absolutely no reason not to. Shivan Reef I can see why not, but Steam Vents are kinda a duh.\

Wouldn’t you want 4x Jhoira’s Timebug? And possibly some Greater Gargadon.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:29 pm
Gargadon is cool, but in a creature-light deck (meaning, all creatures in play matter) it ends up being too slow (you can’t afford to sac a bunch of stuff for it) for having no evasion (you can’t use board-sweepers, otherwise you’ll kill your own creatures), so Deep-Sea Kraken fills the role of finisher better. And Jhoira’s Timebug is a pretty crappy creature, so you wouldn’t want to have a bunch out at the same time. Also, they already provide a good enough tempo swing in a trio. But ultimately, I really really really didn’t know what to cut for the fourth... Razz
I don't like YOU.
NBarden
Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:37 pm
22 lands + 4 accelerator, possibly drop a basic land?

I thought you said 26 is to much anyway. Anyway, Izzet Boilerworks is like two lands because it throws a land back into hand anyway and taps for two, meaning you have another land to play next turn. Net effect, 30 lands...maybe a bit excessive.

Just an idea. Probably don’t know what I’m talking about...seeing as how I’m pretty bad at lands and mana costing and stuff like that...
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Felipe Musco
Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:51 pm
THAT’S the catch. The bouncelands are great for budget players, and fix mana greatly, but they’re not like excess lands, it’s the other way around. They actually set you back. Why? They’ll bounce a land back to your hand, and you’ll replay it next turn. If you calculate the amount of mana you could generate, you’d see you didn’t get an advantage, but rather a disadvantage since you didn’t get to tap another land for mana the turn you played the bounceland. Also, you can’t keep a hand with only 2 bouncelands, you NEED another land. On the other hand, it DOES fix your colors nicely.
I don't like YOU.
NBarden
Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:02 pm
Yeah, but you still only get to play one land a turn.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:23 pm
Of course! That’s the whole meaning of tempo! See, turn one land, one mana. Turn two land, two mana. Turn three land, three mana. Turn four land, four mana. So, for old Gruul, for instance, that’d be Kird Ape, Scab-Clan Mauler, Burning-Tree Shaman, Giant Solifuge. Nice little curve, heh? That’d be 2 damage on turn two, plus 5 on turn three, plus 12 on turn four, totalling 19 damage on four turns! Now, let’s see this with a bounceland. Turn one land, one mana. Turn two bounceland, one mana, tops. Turn three land, three mana. Turn four land, four mana. So, this could make for Kird Ape, Kird Ape, Burning-Tree Shaman, Giant Solifuge, totalling 2 damage on turn two, plus 4 on turn 3, plus 11 on turn four, totalling 17 damage. See the difference? Now, to make it even worse, picture someone blows up a land on turn three with, say, Rain of Tears on the first case, with them going first (so you’d have only 2 lands out). Now, picture the same thing, but instead they blow up the bounceland...
See what I mean? That’s tempo! Very Happy
Of course, I’m not saying bouncelands are bad, not at all, a lot of decks played them in small amounts, you just have to know the type of deck to put them in,and the proportions, for instance, Dralnu du Louvre played 2 bouncelands, I believe, in 24-25 lands, AND it was a control deck, which will NOT be curving out on mana each turn to make the best possible threat. Gruul used none. The first lists of Boros used 2-3, but the deck had a slightly lower curve, although the later lists dropped them altogether.
Bouncelands are great color fixers for budgetary players, and amazing in casual games, but they simple won’t make the cut if you NEED speed. Wanna see what I mean? Stomping Ground will go for, say, 10 dollars. Taiga, which is ESSENTIALLY the same land, except for the "come into play tapped or deal 2 to you" clause, will gofor, what, 30? Surely, it’s rarer. But even though, it’s a BIG price-range difference for just "being rarer"...
Same goes for Black Lotus VS. Lotus Bloom, or Ancestral Recall VS. Ancestral Vision. Same mana cost, but with some turns of waiting, and what does that make to their price?
I don't like YOU.
NBarden
Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:27 pm
I’m saying that since you’re not gonna get all your lands out anyway in one game, and since bouncelands throw lands into your hand you don’t need as many copies, so you can cut one at least for the Timebug for this deck. Very Happy Especially with accelerators.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Standard (Type 2)