LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Standard (Type 2)
NBarden
Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:58 am
--- description ---
Hit with a lot of cheap creatures and watch them die fast.
--- end description ---

MANA BASE

Pendelhaven
Forest x 15

Llanowar Elves x 4
Birds of Paradise x 4

GREEN

Rampant Growth x 4
Hunting Wilds x 4

Jedit Ojanen of Efrava
Llanowar Mentor x 4
Llanowar Sentinel x 4
Gaea’s Herald x 4
Nacatl War-Pride x 4
Thelonite Hermit x 4
Verdeloth the Ancient x 3
Verdant Force x 4

The point of the deck is to set up the mana base REALLY fast, with creatures and cards that throw your lands directly into play. Then, throw out tons of creatures really fast, and a bunch of stuff that throws of Saprolings like crazy. Hope that you can get a Verdeloth the Ancient REALLY fast with a lot of mana and pay TONS of kicker for mass tokens. In the meantime, go for an all out attack.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:28 am
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
This deck can’t be fast enough, unfortunately. Also, mind Rampant Growth, it may look good in this build, but it’s not. Look at what it does:

Turn 2, 3 mana available (accelerator played turn 1):

Tap 2, Rampant Growth, play accelerator, and then a land next turn. This means, best-case scenario, you’ll have 6 mana available, and still no threat, meaning they can Wrath the board as soon as a big guy hits the table.

If you want speed, I’d consider the following:

2 Pendelhaven
18 Forest

4 Llanowar Elves
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Magus of the Vineyard
4 Harmonize
3 Evolution Charm
4 Primal Forcemage
4 Uktabi Drake
4 Groundbreaker
4 Giant Solifuge
3 Timbermare
2 Stonewood Invocation

Or maybe:

1 Pendelhaven
4 Treetop Village
17 Forest

4 Birds of Paradise
4 Llanowar Elves
4 Scryb Ranger
4 Spectral Force
4 Giant Solifuge
4 Troll Ascetic
4 Silhana Ledgewalker
4 Harmonize
4 Blanchwood Armor
2 Stonewood Invocation

This latter deck also benefits greatly from Loxodon Warhammer on the side, against aggros, and Magus of the Vineyard against controls, they won’t have a lot to do with the spare mana anyway... Also, Gaea’s Herald is a great sideboard card in this latter deck.
I don't like YOU.
NBarden
Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:08 pm
What about Llanowar Sentinel? Play him, then chain the other 3 out.

I was thinking about running the deck with Utopia Mycon for extra mana, and then maybe Patagia Viper for extra creatures. Not sure that would help.

I’ll definitely add Magus of the Vineyard. IDK, I may stick with my lockdown decks and Thallids. Or something else, IDK. Kinda liked the fast mana setup of Green and thought I might experiment with that some.

Hey, where’s the link to that MtG software you were telling me about?
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Felipe Musco
Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:03 pm
Llanowar Sentinel is cute in a draft, if you can get a whole bunch of them, and then play Limited. Otherwise, he’s just an overcosted fella.
I don't like YOU.
NBarden
Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:04 pm
Um...they come out cheaper. Question When they’re placed in play, you don’t have to pay their mana cost, right?
Felipe Musco
Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:33 pm
Right, but chaining costs a lot, and in Constructed play, decks are faster, so you don’t have time to chain them greatly enough, you’d be wanting to hit Troll Ascetic or Call of the Herd at that curve. Heck, even Groundbreaker.
I don't like YOU.
NBarden
Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:03 pm
Isn’t that what Green’s good at? Quick mana base setup?
Felipe Musco
Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:08 am
It is. But not THAT quick. See, in order to chain 8 power worth of creatures, you’d need to spend 9 mana. And that’d only give you a bunch of 2/3 whieners. If you CAN hog that amount of mana, play an Avatar of Might instead, much better. See, the idea of hogging mana is to play BIG spells, not A LOT of spells, that’s usually suited for Storm decks, since if they counter one spell, the others resolve, and in your case, if they counter the first critter, you just cry... Also, most aggro decks have to worry about the amount of creatures they have at the table, hence the huge amount of RG or RB decks, they play a few early threats to drop their opponent’s life total, and then keep sending burn spells to their head to wrap things up, hogging extra creatures in their hand so they can rebuild after they clear the board.
I don't like YOU.
NBarden
Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:40 pm
Got it. But....they can throw a cheap 1/1 to stop that beast you play, while the other three creatures you coulda dropped on them would be dealing damage directly to them.

What if I Conspiracy them to Fungus and put a Sporoloth Ancient and Sporesower Thallid out there with Thelon of Havenwood....Twisted Evil

I may do that to my Thalid Deck... Think
Felipe Musco
Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:25 pm
They’re still just four guys, not worth the deck space. Also, in order for it to work, you need Sporesower Thallid (4 mana), Sporoloth Ancient (5 mana) AND conspiracy (5 mana) all out, which is still a lot of mana. ALso, notice that Avatar of Might tramples, so a 1/1 critter will die to cushion 1 point of damage, you’ll still deal 7 over its dead body. If you check a couple of decklists, you’ll notice that decks that run big guys with no kind of evasion usually are control decks, that can wipe the board and then counter/deal with your threats. So what if you throw a 1/1 guy out there? That’ll only stop you from taking a beating for one turn. Dralnu du Louvre, for instance, used to run Skeletal Vampire as a finisher, because it flies (in its late days it ran Aeon Chronicler, since it both provided a huge card advantage boost AND a huge body). As I said, most faster aggro decks play out a bunch of critters, but they’re much more mana-efficient, like the old Gruul Deck, which could open with dual, Kird Ape (2/3), then land, Scab-Clan Mauler (3/3 trample), then land and either a burn spell or 2 critters or a burn spell and a critter, then land Giant Solifuge (4/1 trample, shroud). Also, check the Extended Zoo deck, which goes: Isamaru, Boros Swiftblade, Watchwolf/Tarmogoyf + Gaea’s Might on Switchblade, then burn burn burn. Chaining a bunch of 2/3 overcosted weaklings (Elvish Warrior is a 2/3 for GG) will do nothing, since it’ll take forever. Again, as I said, it IS a valid strategy in Limited (so, if you draft 10th, experiment getting a bunch of them, or if you draft Time Spiral Block, try out drafting BW rebels), where games take longer, but in constructed you’ll be obliterated. Also, you’re running too few lands, the most unexpensive decks I’ve seen in Standard and Extended will still run AT LEAST 20 lands, VERY FEW will run 18-19, and some will run 21, and I’m talking FAST, REALLY fast decks. 16 lands, even with acceleration, is still not enough to curve out nicely. The idea of accelerating is to ALWAYS be 1-2 turns ahead in the early game, so you open with mana-elf, so you have 3 mana on turn 2. What good will it do if you can’t hit your third land drop? They’ll catch up quickly.
I hope you got the idea behind this huge post, it’s something VERY important to the game called "tempo". It’s the reason why cards like Temporal Eddy or Time Ebb are so valuable in Limited play, since it slows down other decks. Same goes for playing Condemn o their first turn Kird Ape, since it kept it from dealing damage, thus preventing the 3/3 Mauler on turn 2 AND getting rid of the 2/3 beater as well.
I don't like YOU.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Standard (Type 2)