LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG: Age's End
How playable is Sam, Loyal Friend?

5 (Best)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

10%
  [ 2 ]  10%

57%
  [ 11 ]  57%

31%
  [ 6 ]  31%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 19
raptor22
Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:17 pm

A good old traditional Sam. Not much to say about him. He get’s an easy +2 strength for spoting 3 Shire companions, but it seems to me that he’s vastly inferior to Sam, Great Elf Warrior, except for the resistance.

Pretty bland, I give him a 3.
Last edited by raptor22 on Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheShyzle
Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:22 pm
Well at least he is not OP or Broken. But I don’t see using him for anything at the moment. Bland indeed. Neutral
LOOK HERE:
http://lotrtcgdb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=5185
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:17 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
TheShyzle wrote:
Well at least he is not OP or Broken. But I don’t see using him for anything at the moment. Bland indeed. Neutral

pic isn’t bad Wink
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:37 am
I would almost always rather use Sam, Great Elf Warrior. The only time I wouldn’t use GEW is if I had something that triggered off resistance or the fellowship keyword.

- AC
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead
Dravius
Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:06 am
In a G for Grand deck I would use it, otherwise...
-Darth Dravius, Dark Lord of the Sith
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:09 am
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
AnxiousChieftain wrote:
I would almost always rather use Sam, Great Elf Warrior. The only time I wouldn’t use GEW is if I had something that triggered off resistance or the fellowship keyword.

My thoughts exactly. Great Elf Warrior makes this practically worthless.

Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
NBarden
Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:24 am
Dravius wrote:

Exactly my opinion. I’ve always had problems with Sam, Great Elf Warrior in a G For Grand deck, this guy solves the problems. Although, he is kinda lame otherwise. I give him a 3.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
Dravius
Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:51 pm
NBarden wrote:
Dravius wrote:

Exactly my opinion. I’ve always had problems with Sam, Great Elf Warrior in a G For Grand deck, this guy solves the problems. Although, he is kinda lame otherwise. I give him a 3.

And if you don’t want to break the rule of 5, Sam GEW can realy only be strenght 7 with nothing else if you want to play Gandalf, while this one is 5, but with 4 G for Grand he gets to 9 + the boost from gandalf LotC.
-Darth Dravius, Dark Lord of the Sith
LeoKula
Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:30 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:
AnxiousChieftain wrote:

Just to make things clear, Great Elf Warrior makes EVERY Sam out there useless. Period. You can say GEW is responsible for making the mono hobbit deck work and unless you’re playing a ring-bound hobbits deck with frodo FF, this sam should be the one to use, except for a very very very specific strategy, even then you should think twice, because you could be mistaken! LoL!

I think we shouldn’t expect the best new companion in the history of the cardgame from Age’s End, but a tribute to the game itself, a closure thing.

People is complaining that the Fellowship keyword is not worth it, but I think it’s more like "hey, it’s the last set. This is the fellowship of 9 companions that set out from rivendell and this is their last version that was released." It’s more like epic than the ultimate new mechanic.
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:08 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
LeoKula wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
AnxiousChieftain wrote:

Just to make things clear, Great Elf Warrior makes EVERY Sam out there useless. Period. You can say GEW is responsible for making the mono hobbit deck work and unless you’re playing a ring-bound hobbits deck with frodo FF, this sam should be the one to use, except for a very very very specific strategy, even then you should think twice, because you could be mistaken! LoL!

Understood. "GEW" rocks compared to almost every other Sam out there.

But the reason I mention it with this specific version is that this is similiar in that Sam gets a strength boost by spotting other Shire companions, but this one is vastly inferior to another card that does the same thing (only better): Sam, Great Elf Warrior. I’m comparing apples to apples, not apples and oranges. Make any sense?
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG: Age's End