LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
Thranduil
Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:13 pm
Well, it looks like we’ve finished off the Lakemen, but there is still one Gandalf Man that remains unaccounted for, who is big and brown and is often a bear.

Just to remind you, here is Beorn from the last set (there are no more version of him in block):

4 • Beorn, Agreeable Host Gandalf
Companion • Man
Str: 7
Vit: 4
Res: 8
Damage +1. Defender +1.
Fellowship:
If you cannot spot 4 companions, exert Beorn to remove 1 (or exert him twice at a dwelling to remove 3).
’... and you must be careful not to annoy him, or heaven knows what will happen.’
H1 C 89

4 • Beorn, Skin-Changer Gandalf
Companion • Man
Skirmish: If you cannot spot 4 companions, exert Beorn make him strength +5 (limit +10) and damage +1. Until the end of the regroup phase, he is not a Man.
’... sometimes he is a huge black bear, sometimes he is a great strong black haired man with huge arms and a great beard.’
H1 R 90

Now here is some development on first the choking strategy:

1 • Bee-Pastures Gandalf
Condition • Support Area
To play, spot Beorn.
When you play this condition, you may add X Gandalf tokens here, where X is 9 minus the number of companions.
Response: If you are about to play a Gandalf event, remove a token here (or discard this card) to make that event’s twilight cost -1.
H2 R 56

2 • Master of the Wide Wooden Halls Gandalf
Condition • Support Area
Each time the fellowship moves and you cannot spot 4 companions, you may spot Beorn and add 1 to heal each companion.
Regroup: Exert Beorn or discard this condition to remove 3.
Beorn said something to them in a queer language like animal noises turned into talk...
H2 R 77

Thranduil
Last edited by Thranduil on Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:36 am; edited 3 times in total'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:02 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
Thranduil wrote:

Companion • Man
Damage +1.
Fellowship:
If you cannot spot 4 companions, exert Beorn to remove 1 (or exert him twice at a dwelling to remove 3).
’... and you must be careful not to annoy him, or heaven knows what will happen.’
H1 C 89
maybe to remove 4 at a dwelling

Companion • Man
Skirmish: If you cannot spot 4 companions, exert Beorn make him strength +5 (limit +10) and damage +1. Until the end of the regroup phase, he is not a Man.
’... sometimes he is a huge black bear, sometimes he is a great strong black haired man with huge arms and a great beard.’
H1 R 90
Aweshome. maybe a defender instead of damage...

1 • Bee-Pastures Gandalf
Condition • Support Area
To play, spot Beorn.
When you play this condition, you may add X Gandalf tokens here, where X is 9 minus the number of companions.
Response: If you are about to play a Gandalf event, remove a token here (or discard this card) to make that event’s twilight cost -1.
H2 R 56
I like it

Condition • Support Area
Each time the fellowship moves and you cannot spot 4 companions, you may spot Beorn to heal each companion.
Regroup: Exert Beorn or discard this condition to remove 2.
Beorn said something to them in a queer language like animal noises turned into talk...
H2 R 77

the regroup ability should be remove 3 IMHO
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
lem0nhead
Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:46 am
Thranduil wrote:
Well, it looks like we’ve finished off the Lakemen, but there is still one Gandalf Man that remains unaccounted for, who is big and brown and is often a bear.

You mean Bungle from Rainbow? Razz

Companion • Man
Damage +1.
Fellowship:
H1 C 89

Really not every useful. Good stats and all but lame text, you need site control to make it worthwhile.

Companion • Man
H1 R 90

Sound.

1 • Bee-Pastures Gandalf
Condition • Support Area
To play, spot Beorn.
H2 R 56

Reinforcing makes this card too awesome.

Condition • Support Area
Each time the fellowship moves and you cannot spot 4 companions, you may spot Beorn to heal each companion.
Regroup: Exert Beorn or discard this condition to remove 2.
H2 R 77

Hmmm even though its only 3 companions its still awesome. Maybe heal each unbound companion.

Thranduil
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
Thranduil
Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:06 pm
I’d really like another review or two before I move on. Anyone want to pitch in?

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
NBarden
Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:16 pm
Thranduil wrote:

Just to remind you, here is Beorn from the last set (there are no more version of him in block):

Companion • Man
Damage +1. Defender +1.
Fellowship:
H1 C 89

Companion • Man
H1 R 90

THAT is a DC worthy of Beorn. Homage

Now here is some development on first the choking strategy:

1 • Bee-Pastures Gandalf
Condition • Support Area
To play, spot Beorn. Tokens on this condition cannot be reinforced.
H2 R 56

Interesting. I think that letting them be reinforced is okay.

Condition • Support Area
Each time the fellowship moves and you cannot spot 4 companions, you may spot Beorn and add 1 to heal each companion.
Regroup: Exert Beorn or discard this condition to remove 3.
H2 R 77

Nice.

Thranduil

Sweet cards. I’m trying to get back into reviewing, but what with college and everything...

btw, check out my cards. Link in my sig.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
Thranduil
Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:47 am
Thanks all.

Just to remind you of the other major Beorn card from the first set:

2 • Beorn’s Axe Gandalf
Possession • Hand Weapon
Str: +3
Bearer must be Beorn.
He is terror 1 (each time he is assigned to a skirmish an opponent’s minion, you make that opponent exert their character) for each wound on him.
He was clothed in a tunic of wool down to his knees, and was leaning on a large axe.
H1 R 92

Now onto some more cards from this set:

0 Bear Tracks Gandalf
Event • Skirmish
To play, spot Beorn who is either terror X, damage +X or defender +X.
Make a Gandalf Man (or any character is you cannot spot 4 companions) strength +X.
’I soon saw that Beorn could not have made them all...’
H2 C 55

0 Well Protected Gandalf
Event • Assignment
Spot Beorn to make a minion fierce until the regroup phase. Then, you may prevent that minion from being assigned to a non-fierce skirmish.
’The goblins,’ Beorn had said, ’will not dare to cross the Great River for a hundred miles north of the Carrock nor to come near my house...’
H2 C 86

3 Great Animal Gandalf
Event • Skirmish
Exert Beorn and remove a minion from your discard pile from the game to make Beorn strength +X, where X is that minion’s strength.
... Bilbo thought he saw away to the right, or to the left, the shadowy form of a great bear prowling along in the same direction.
H2 R 64

Thranduil
Last edited by Thranduil on Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:59 am; edited 2 times in total'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

lem0nhead
Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:26 pm
Thranduil wrote:
Thanks all.

2 • Beorn’s Axe Gandalf
Possession • Hand Weapon
Bearer must be Beorn.
He is terror 1 (each time he is assigned to a skirmish an opponent’s minion, you make that opponent exert their character) for each wound on him.
He was clothed in a tunic of wool down to his knees, and was leaning on a large axe.
H1 R 92

Gees thats almost a guaranteed exhaustion of minons, which is a bit too good surely? Least its unique unlike the other one.

0 Bear Tracks Gandalf
Event • Skirmish
To play, spot Beorn who is one of terror X, damage +X or defender +X.
Make a Gandalf Man (or any character is you cannot spot 4 companions) strength +X.
H2 C 55

Badly worded. Id say "either" not one of. Cool.

0 Well Protected Gandalf
Event • Assignment
Spot Beorn to make a non-fierce minion fierce until the regroup phase. Then, you may prevent that minion from being assigned to a non-fierce skirmish.
’The goblins,’ Beorn had said, ’will not dare to cross the Great River for a hundred miles north of the Carrock nor to come near my house...’
H2 C 86

Thats weird. Im sure it has its uses but at the moment looks pointless use of deck space.

3 Great Animal Gandalf
Event • Skirmish
Exert Beorn and remove from the game a minion from your discard pile to make Beorn strength +X, where X is that minion’s strength.
... Bilbo thought he saw away to the right, or to the left, the shadowy form of a great bear prowling along in the same direction.
H2 R 64

Hmm even though its an event still seems insanely good. No other strength pump does anything close to this and used on ur beorn that can exert to be +10 this is way too good.

Thranduil
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
Thranduil
Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:36 pm
lem0nhead wrote:
Badly worded. Id say "either" not one of. Cool.

My problem with ’either’ is that it suggests 2 options following, not 3, but I guess it’s alright. Consider it changed.

lem0nhead wrote:
Thats weird. Im sure it has its uses but at the moment looks pointless use of deck space.

Yes it’s weird, but I think useful in a deck when you only have 2 maybe 3 companions. This means Beorn doesn’t have to fight too many minions at once, but can stagger them and beat them to a pulp one at a time.

lem0nhead wrote:
Hmm even though its an event still seems insanely good. No other strength pump does anything close to this and used on ur beorn that can exert to be +10 this is way too good.

I accept that it’s exceptionally good, but my main arguments for why I think it’s balanced is that it requires an exertion on a guy who already tends to have a lot of wounds on him, and it costs 3 which is not good for a choke deck.

Though I entirely understand your concerns, I’d like another opinion or two before I change it.

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

NBarden
Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:18 pm
Thranduil wrote:
Thanks all.

2 • Beorn’s Axe Gandalf
Possession • Hand Weapon
Bearer must be Beorn.
H1 R 92

Nice.

0 Bear Tracks Gandalf
Event • Skirmish
H2 C 55

Nice.

0 Well Protected Gandalf
Event • Assignment
Spot Beorn to make a non-fierce minion fierce until the regroup phase. Then, you may prevent that minion from being assigned to a non-fierce skirmish.
H2 C 86

MUST have for choke. LOVE IT!

3 Great Animal Gandalf
Event • Skirmish
Exert Beorn and remove from the game a minion from your discard pile to make Beorn strength +X, where X is that minion’s strength.
H2 R 64

Interesting...I like it. Beorn/Grimbeorn choke deck, anyone?

Thranduil
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:01 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
Thranduil wrote:
Thanks all.

2 • Beorn’s Axe Gandalf
Possession • Hand Weapon
Bearer must be Beorn.
H1 R 92
whoa...powerful

0 Bear Tracks Gandalf
Event • Skirmish
H2 C 55
works for me

0 Well Protected Gandalf
Event • Assignment
H2 C 86
wording is clunky. maybe make a fierce minion unable to be assigned to non fierce skirmishes

3 Great Animal Gandalf
Event • Skirmish
H2 R 64

should be exert beorn and remove a minion in your discard pile from the game
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards