LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Expanded
OneFathom
Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:41 am
I thought that putting together a deck that could get out the Cave Troll of Moria, Scourge of the Black Pit for only 5 twilight at every site would be somewhat effective. The deck is paired with a quick cycling, four-companion pipeweed deck. It is 99% Fellowship Block except for 2 Durin’s Towers and a Host of Moria, LotU. Here’s the decklist. Any help would be great!

FP: (36)

Frodo, Reluctant Adventurer
The One Ring, Isildur’s Bane
Gandalf, The Grey Pilgrim
Aragorn, King In Exile X 3
Boromir, Lord of Gondor X 3

Sting
Glamdring
Ranger’s Sword
Aragorn’s Bow
Armor X 2
Aragorn’s Pipe X 2
Gandalf’s Pipe X 2
The Gaffer’s Pipe
Narya
Gandalf’s Staff

Old Toby X 4
Longbottom Leaf X 2
Gandalf’s Cart X 2

O Elbereth! Gilthoniel!

Barliman Butterbur, Proprietor of the Prancing Pony

Sleep Caradhras X 2
Servant of the Secret Fire X 4

SH (36)

Goblin Runner X 4
Troll’s Keyward X 4
Cave Troll of Moria, Scourge of the Black Pit X 4
The Balrog, Flame of Udun X 2
Host of Moria, Legion of the Underdeeps

Dark Places X 4
Durin’s Tower X 2
Relics of Moria
Goblin Swarms X 2

Cave Troll’s Hammer X 2
Cave Troll’s Chain X 2
Goblin Scimitar X 4

Host of Thousands X 2
Foul Things X 2

The strategy is to go second so you can always play your underground sites.
Even if your opponent plays a Well-Traveled, Pathfinder, Traveled Leader, etc., Dark Places can always switch your opponent’s site out during the Shadow Phase. You’re certainly out of luck if you drop a Balrog, Flame of Udun at an underground site and Gandalf switches the current site out with something other than an underground site b/c the Balrog gets discarded if not underground. I’ve always been a fan of the Fellowship block and in many ways, it still generates competitive decktypes.

I’ve thought about adding in Moria Axes instead of Scimitars to boost Host and the Keyward, but other than that, I don’t know what else to change. I want to make this strictly Fellowship Block but I have 3 post FotR-block cards in:

Host of Moria, LotU (Reflections)
Durin’s Tower X 2 (EoF)

Any constructive criticism is appreciated. Tonight I played it against your standard Noble Leaders build and it did great except when my opponent played a Valiant Man of the West on Aragorn, Strider making him defender +1 and unable to take more than 1 wound per skirmish. The site was Moria Stairway where each character bearing a hand-weapon is damage +1. My Cave Troll was souped with both his Hammer and Chain (base 20 strength) and I had 2 Dark Places out making him 22 strength, damage +3. Both skirmishes went on Aragorn and he took 2 wounds total instead of the 8 wounds I had planned on giving out.

The other game I played was against a Boromir, Destined Guide build with unbound hobbits used to pump up Boromir so he can discard any and all minions he beats during skirmish. Both the Balrog and Cave Troll were stopped short against a beefy Boromir/Merry, Friend to Sam combo and Mithril Coat on Frodo. I did get the Cave Troll out a total of 9 times in both games combined, but only the second game was the strategy effective.
Each game resulted in a loss on my behalf b/c my shadow couldn’t finish them off. Killed everyone off in the second game (Noble Leaders) and left only Boromir, Bearer of Council on the table against both a souped Cave Troll and Balrog, Flame of Udun plus a Runner and Keyward.

This deck is very fun, cycles great, is an awesome choke on the FP and minion/possession recursion is frequent. I recommend this deck to anybody!

Any help is appreciated, especially on the Shadow side. Thanks!
NBarden
Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:49 am
Cut Host of Moria and Durin’s Tower for some Goblin Armory. Dark Places doesn’t work in the post Movie Block environment, sorry. If you’re going FotR block, keep ’em! Love the idea! I’d add some more tough minions, Goblin Flankers for sure, maybe Goblin Patrol Troop and make it a total Moria beatdown. With Relics for the Scimitar and GOblin Armory to add twilight, getting a Cave Troll, some Runners and some Flankers on the double is not out of the question. And of course, good ol’ Shotgun Enquea to punish anyone who dares go over 5 comps.

Once you take it to FotR block, add two No Stranger, Aragorn, Heir to the White City, and Bill the Pony. All that stupid choke stuff. Razz Also, 4x PATHS is a must.

You can probably take the deck up to 40/40 easily with Gandalf cycling the FP and your Relics/Scimitar combo. You deck out at all with this deck?
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
OneFathom
Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:34 pm
That’s right, once the whole site manipulation came out, Dark Places’ text got cut in half, didn’t it? I did deck out one out of the two games. I thought of using Goblin Armory in substitute for the 3 post-FotR cards so that is a possibility. I’ll certainly take a look at your suggestions for the minions (i.e. Flankers, Patrol Troop, Enquea). Can’t go wrong with ’Gorn-HttWC in FotR block fa sho. Thanks for the suggestions NB!
NBarden
Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:28 pm
Yeah, definitely take it up some cards. With Goblin Armory, the Scimitar/Relics cycling engine goes better, and you’ll probably cycle better with 40/40 than with the current deck, ’cause you’re getting more twilight out of Armory.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Expanded