LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:17 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
After nearly a week off from making DCs, I’m finding it difficult to back into the swing of things. While I MAY still get new cards up today for The Road Shead, my Fellowship of the Ring set, it’s looking like it may have to wait until tomorrow, as I’m not getting any good ideas right now.

However, in the interim, let’s move to the next set, The Way Into Mordor, based on events from The Two Towers. We’ll be fully immersed in this set soon anyway, as The Road Ahead is already winding down to the final cultures.

So, here’s a smattering of cards you may recognize: they were in a contest run by NBarden a few weeks back. They actually lost handily to elf lvr’s entries, but I’m curious to gauge, based on your reviews, if they’re bad cards or just not quite as good as EL’s (admittedly awesome) entries were.

So, here they are: the FOUR Hunters. Very Happy Enjoy!

4Aragorn, Son of Arathorn Gondor
Companion • Man
Strength: 8
Vitality: 4
Signet: Aragorn
Ranger. Hunter 1.
While you can spot Legolas and Gimli, Aragorn gains hunter 1.
Each time Aragorn wins a skirmish, you may exert him twice and spot 2 other hunters to make the move limit +1 for this turn. Limit once per turn.
“‘I serve no man, but the servants of Sauron I pursue into whatever land they may go.’”

1Ranger’s Sword, Weapon of Strider Gondor
Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +2
Bearer must be Aragorn.
While a hunter companion of another culture is assigned to a skirmish, Aragorn gains hunter 1 (or hunter 2 if that companion is Legolas, Gimli, or Gandalf).
Skirmish: If Aragorn is not assigned to a skirmish, spot an unbound hunter who has less resistance than Aragorn and discard a Gondor card from hand to have Aragorn replace that hunter in a skirmish.
“We are needed south and west....There is work for the sword to do.”

2Legolas, From Distant Mirkwood Elven
Companion • Elf
Strength: 6
Vitality: 3
Archer. Hunter 1.
While you can spot Aragorn and Gimli, Legolas gains hunter 1.
Each time Legolas wins a skirmish, you may exert him to make a minion assigned to skirmish a hunter companion strength -1 for each hunter companion you can spot (limit -3) until the regroup phase.
“‘He stands not alone,’ said Legolas, bending his bow and fitting an arrow with hands that moved quicker than sight. ‘You would die before your stroke fell.’”

1Bow of the Galadhrim, Great Bow of Lórien Elven
Possession • Ranged Weapon
Strength +1
Bearer must be Legolas.
Legolas gains hunter 1 for each of the following the fellowship is at: battleground, forest, plains.
Each time Legolas wins a fierce skirmish, you may heal him.
“Legolas sat above on the parapet, fingering his bow, and peering out into the gloom.”

2Gimli, Dwarf of Many Journeys Dwarven
Companion • Dwarf
Damage +1. Hunter 1.
While you can spot Aragorn and Legolas, Gimli gains hunter 1.
Each time Gimli wins a skirmish, you may exert him to make a hunter companion damage +1 until the regroup phase.
“‘You speak evil of that which is fair beyond the reach of your thought, and only little wit can excuse you.’”

2Axe of Erebor, Walking Axe Dwarven
Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +2
Bearer must be Gimli.
He gains hunter 1 for each of the following that is assigned to a skirmish: Aragorn, Legolas, Gandalf.
Each time Gimli wins a fierce skirmish, you may heal him.
“Gimli rose and planted his feet firmly apart: his hand gripped the handle of his axe, and his dark eyes flashed.”

4Gandalf, Captain and Banner Gandalf
Companion • Wizard
Hunter 1.
Each time another hunter companion is about to lose a skirmish, you may exert Gandalf to make that companion strength +2 until the end of that skirmish.
“‘The Dark Lord has Nine. But we have One, mightier than they: the White Rider. He has passed through the fire and the abyss, and they shall fear him.’”

3A Marvel Among the Three Kindreds Gondor/Elven/Dwarven
Condition • Support Area
Tale.
While Aragorn and Legolas each bear a ranged weapon, the fellowship archery total is +1.
While Legolas and Gimli each bear a hand weapon, they are each damage +1.
While Gimli and Aragorn each bear a weapon, they are each strength +1.
“‘With hope or without hope we will follow the trail of our enemies. And woe to them, if we prove the swifter!’”

I may or may not post more teasers in this thread...we’ll see how things go. But I have a LOT of finished cards for the set, so I would bet more on teasing than I would bet against it. Mr. Green
Last edited by DáinIronfoot on Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:30 pm; edited 39 times in totalBest regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
LeoKula
Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:38 pm
I’m almost sure that "about to lose a skirmish" happens after the skirmish is resolved... guess with this wording the companion would lose the skirmish anyway. He’d get the strength bonus but since the skirmish has been resolved already, he loses it anyway.

You could change it to "Skirmish: exert Gandalf and spot a companion skirmishing a minion with higher strength than him or her to make that companion strength +2" or something like this.
If you have a MW Éomer, Horsemaster, please let me know what you want for it Smile
elf lvr
Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:34 pm
Hey, I thought your cards were gonna kill mine. Probably means they weren’t bad. Razz

But anyways, a review!

DáinIronfoot wrote:

Companion • Man
Ranger. Hunter 1.
Each time Aragorn wins a skirmish, you may exert him twice and spot 2 other hunters to make the move limit +1 for this turn.
“‘I serve no man, but the servants of Sauron I pursue into whatever land they may go.’”

This guy is awesome. No complaints. He can stand up to Thorongil and HTtToG with ease.

Quote:
Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +2
Bearer must be Aragorn.
While a hunter companion of another culture is assigned to a skirmish, Aragorn gains hunter 1 (or hunter 2 if that companion is Legolas, Gimli, or Gandalf).
Skirmish: If Aragorn is not assigned to a skirmish, spot an unbound hunter who has less resistance than Aragorn to have Aragorn replace that hunter in a skirmish.

This is kinda overpowered. A possible strength +4 sword? Eeesh. Maybe cut the initial strength boost down to one, or make the sword Anduril (and give it a resultant cost of 3, +4 strength with Anduril seems natural by now). Plus, with this super-sword, Aragorn can replace many companions in skirmishes, and win those, too! Needs a cost on the skirmish ability. The only replacing cards I can think of that are permanent (not events or discarding conditions) are Gandalf, the White Rider (two exertions) and Boromir’s Sword (discards a Gondor card, and is limited to unbound hobbits).

Quote:
Companion • Elf
Archer. Hunter 1.
Each time Legolas wins a skirmish, you may exert him to make a minion skirmishing a hunter companion strength -1 for each hunter companion you can spot (limit -3) until the regroup phase.
“‘He stands not alone,’ said Legolas, bending his bow and fitting an arrow with hands that moved quicker than sight. ‘You would die before your stroke fell.’”

Change "skirmishing" to "assigned to skirmish," because a minion and a companion aren’t considered to be "skirmishing" until their skirmish begins.

Quote:
Strength +1
Bearer must be Legolas.
Legolas gains hunter 1 for each of the following the fellowship is at: battleground, forest, plains site.
“Legolas sat above on the parapet, fingering his bow, and peering out into the gloom.”

This one, I like. You’ll probably only get one more strength from this (unless you control the site path) and the healing is cool too.

Quote:
Companion • Dwarf
Damage +1. Hunter 1.
Each time Gimli wins a skirmish, you may exert him to make a hunter companion damage +1 until the regroup phase.
“‘You speak evil of that which is fair beyond the reach of your thought, and only little wit can excuse you.’”

No complaints here, really. Solid Gimli.

Quote:
Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +2
Bearer must be Gimli.
He gains hunter 1 for each of the following you can spot: Aragorn, Legolas, Gandalf.
“Gimli rose and planted his feet firmly apart: his hand gripped the handle of his axe, and his dark eyes flashed.”

Yeesh, a strength +5 axe? Tone it down.

Quote:
Companion • Wizard
Hunter 1.
Each time another hunter companion is about to lose a skirmish, you may exert Gandalf to make that companion strength +2 until the end of that skirmish.
“‘The Dark Lord has Nine. But we have One, mightier than they: the White Rider. He has passed through the fire and the abyss, and they shall fear him.’”

Nice!

Quote:
Condition • Support Area
Tale.
While Aragorn and Legolas each bear a ranged weapon, the fellowship archery total is +1.
While you can spot Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli, and they are each hunters and unwounded, the move limit is +1.

Awesome.
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Winner of Best Personality in the FPCA. Thanks!
Archduke Elf Lvr - Archidoux of the Chosen Ones
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
lem0nhead
Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:28 am
DáinIronfoot wrote:

Companion • Man
Ranger. Hunter 1.
Each time Aragorn wins a skirmish, you may exert him twice and spot 2 other hunters to make the move limit +1 for this turn.

Good but not that useful for an aragorn.

Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +2
Bearer must be Aragorn.
Skirmish: If Aragorn is not assigned to a skirmish, spot an unbound hunter who has less resistance than Aragorn to have Aragorn replace that hunter in a skirmish.

Alright.

Companion • Elf
Archer. Hunter 1.
Each time Legolas wins a skirmish, you may exert him to make a minion skirmishing a hunter companion strength -1 for each hunter companion you can spot (limit -3) until the regroup phase.

Sweet!

Strength +1
Bearer must be Legolas.
Legolas gains hunter 1 for each of the following the fellowship is at: battleground, forest, plains site.

Seeing as you cant get all that in 1 site its ok.

Companion • Dwarf
Damage +1. Hunter 1.

Hmmm not sure just any hunter companion should get damage +1 but its ok.

Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +2
Bearer must be Gimli.
He gains hunter 1 for each of the following you can spot: Aragorn, Legolas, Gandalf.

Bit too good. Youre gonna use this in a 3 hunters deck so this weapon will give strength +4 maybe 5? The fierce text is enough as it is as its cool.

Companion • Wizard
Hunter 1.

Hunter Gandalf? Weird. Cool though.

Condition • Support Area
Tale.
While you can spot Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli, and they are each hunters and unwounded, the move limit is +1.

Id remove the move limit thing.

I may or may not post more teasers in this thread...we’ll see how things go. But I have a LOT of finished cards for the set, so I would bet more on teasing than I would bet against it. Mr. Green
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:19 am
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
DáinIronfoot wrote:

Companion • Man
Ranger. Hunter 1.
make it limit once per turn on his ability.

Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +2
Bearer must be Aragorn.
the skirmish ability should have something you need to do for it, exertion, burden, discarded card...

Companion • Elf
Archer. Hunter 1.
works for me

Strength +1
Bearer must be Legolas.
I think you can cut the site after plains

Companion • Dwarf
Damage +1. Hunter 1.
nice

Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +2
Bearer must be Gimli.
sure

Companion • Wizard
Hunter 1.
maybe or +3 if he bears an artifact

Condition • Support Area
Tale.
works for me. maybe up the cost and give it toil though.

so I would bet more on teasing than I would bet against it. Mr. Green

but I don’t like being teased Laughing
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:14 am
sickofpalantirs wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:

Companion • Man
Ranger. Hunter 1.

make it limit once per turn on his ability.

Okie-doke.

elf lvr wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +2
Bearer must be Aragorn.

This is kinda overpowered. A possible strength +4 sword? Eeesh. Maybe cut the initial strength boost down to one, or make the sword Anduril (and give it a resultant cost of 3, +4 strength with Anduril seems natural by now). Plus, with this super-sword, Aragorn can replace many companions in skirmishes, and win those, too! Needs a cost on the skirmish ability. The only replacing cards I can think of that are permanent (not events or discarding conditions) are Gandalf, the White Rider (two exertions) and Boromir’s Sword (discards a Gondor card, and is limited to unbound hobbits).

Duly noted on the skirmish ability...SoP had the same point in his review. But I disagree with the potential +4 being too good. Look at Ranger’s Sword, Blade of Aragorn. More limited, perhaps, but that’s a potential +4 strength, without half of it being able to be negated by a hunter minion (as mine is). I think it’s okay. Very powerful, but okay. I’ll consider raising the cost to 2, though.

elf lvr wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Companion • Elf
Archer. Hunter 1.

Change "skirmishing" to "assigned to skirmish," because a minion and a companion aren’t considered to be "skirmishing" until their skirmish begins.

Good call. Silly mistake on my part.

sickofpalantirs wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Strength +1
Bearer must be Legolas.

I think you can cut the site after plains

Hmmm...maybe.

lem0nhead wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Companion • Dwarf
Damage +1. Hunter 1.

Hmmm not sure just any hunter companion should get damage +1 but its ok.

Eh, I like the idea of a damage +1 Legolas. Mr. Green

elf lvr wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +2
Bearer must be Gimli.

Yeesh, a strength +5 axe? Tone it down.

lem0nhead wrote:
Bit too good. Youre gonna use this in a 3 hunters deck so this weapon will give strength +4 maybe 5? The fierce text is enough as it is as its cool.

Yeah, I guess that’s a little out of whack. What if I drop the healing ability and leave it as simply a potential very powerful axe? That okay?

LeoKula wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Companion • Wizard
Hunter 1.

I’m almost sure that "about to lose a skirmish" happens after the skirmish is resolved... guess with this wording the companion would lose the skirmish anyway. He’d get the strength bonus but since the skirmish has been resolved already, he loses it anyway.

You could change it to "Skirmish: exert Gandalf and spot a companion skirmishing a minion with higher strength than him or her to make that companion strength +2" or something like this.

I think it’s worded correctly, actually. I followed the example of cards like Footman’s Armor.

lem0nhead wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Condition • Support Area
Tale.

Id remove the move limit thing.

Yeah, you’re probably right. I’ll do that and add some lore in its place. Very Happy

Thanks for the reviews, guys. GPs for all! Cool
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
elf lvr
Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:34 am
I say keep the healing on the axe, but maybe limit the strength boost to if Legolas, Aragorn, and Gandalf are assigned to skirmish?
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Winner of Best Personality in the FPCA. Thanks!
Archduke Elf Lvr - Archidoux of the Chosen Ones
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:59 am
elf lvr wrote:
I say keep the healing on the axe, but maybe limit the strength boost to if Legolas, Aragorn, and Gandalf are assigned to skirmish?

I like that. Done. Thumbs Up

I think I’ll go ahead and start doing semi-regular postings of cards from The Way Into Mordor now. And furthermore, I think we’ll start with Gondor.

Aside from cards focused around Aragorn, and those focused around Faramir’s rangers (including the return of Ring-bound Men), one big part of the Gondor culture in this set is cards from the scene from the extended version of the Two Towers film, where Boromir and Faramir share in happy times in Osgiliath before being split apart...forever, as it turns out.

So what better way to start that then with the brother themselves? Smile Enjoy!

6Boromir & Faramir, Sons of the Steward Gondor
Companions • Men
Strength: 13
Knight. Ranger.
Skirmish: Exert Boromir & Faramir to make each Gondor Man strength +1 until the regroup phase. Limit twice per turn.
Response: If a Hobbit or Man companion is about to take a wound, exert Boromir & Faramir and discard a Gondor card from hand to prevent that and wound a minion not assigned to a skirmish.
Last edited by DáinIronfoot on Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:53 pm; edited 2 times in totalBest regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

sickofpalantirs
Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:34 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
DáinIronfoot wrote:

6Boromir & Faramir, Sons of the Steward Gondor
Companions • Men
Strength: 13
Knight. Ranger.
Skirmish: Exert Boromir & Faramir to make each Gondor Man strength +1.
Response: If a Hobbit or Man companion is about to take a wound, exert Boromir & Faramir and discard a Gondor card from hand to prevent that and wound a minion.

make it a gondor man. each is worthless since it will expire anyway. maybe wound a minion not assigned to a skirmish. and up the cost 1-2
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:54 pm
Tweaked. How is it now?
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards