LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
Thranduil
Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:18 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:
4Aragorn, Son of Arathorn Gondor
Companion • Man
Strength: 8
Vitality: 4
Signet: Aragorn
Ranger. Hunter 1.
While you can spot Legolas and Gimli, Aragorn gains hunter 1.
Each time Aragorn wins a skirmish, you may exert him twice and spot 2 other hunters to make the move limit +1 for this turn. Limit once per turn.
“‘I serve no man, but the servants of Sauron I pursue into whatever land they may go.’”

I’d prefer to either take the limit out or make it ’(limit +1)’ before, just because it sounds better. Other than that, for a hunter companion he ain’t that broken! Nice one!

DáinIronfoot wrote:
1Ranger’s Sword, Weapon of Strider Gondor
Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +2
Bearer must be Aragorn.
While a hunter companion of another culture is assigned to a skirmish, Aragorn gains hunter 1 (or hunter 2 if that companion is Legolas, Gimli, or Gandalf).
Skirmish: If Aragorn is not assigned to a skirmish, spot an unbound hunter and discard 2 Gondor cards from hand to have Aragorn replace that hunter in a skirmish.
“We are needed south and west....There is work for the sword to do.”

Why not ’Strider’s Blade’? And a potential +4 strength for 1 twilight is too good. Just leaving it with the skirmish ability would make it a rocking card.

DáinIronfoot wrote:
4Aragorn, Man of the West Gondor
Companion • Man
Strength: 7
Signet: Théoden
Valiant. Hunter 1. While Aragorn bears no Gondor artifacts, he is also a Rohan Man.
Each unique Rohan companion gains the Aragorn signet.
Aragorn is strength +1 for each of the following you can spot: Rohan Man, Elf, Dwarf.
“‘The men have found their captain. They will follow you....’”

’Man of the West’ is perfect, as he is ’The Dunedan’. Interesting first ability, but I think I’d get rid of the constraints of Gondor artifacts. Interesting flavour, but not so necessary as he still fights for Rohan even when he has Anduril, and he should be by definition multi-cultural.

Do you mean for his second ability to give him the Aragorn signet? Because that’s what it does!

I think the last ability is entirely unnecessary - especially as you’ll never use this guy in a deck without Rohan Men. Bring his strength up to his usual 8 without the last ability and he’s rock!

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)
elf lvr
Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:38 pm
We’ve talked about strength +4, 1 cost swords before, haven’t we, Dain? Shame, shame.

Anyways, Man of the West is good as is, although you could drop the Rohan man part of his last ability and add Gandalf wizard instead, and up his strength to the original 8.
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Winner of Best Personality in the FPCA. Thanks!
Archduke Elf Lvr - Archidoux of the Chosen Ones
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
NBarden
Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:05 pm
Ranger’s Sword, Blade of Aragorn.

Any questions? Or how ’bout Long-Knives of Legolas?

I however WOULD cut the hunter 2 bonus.

On Son of Arathorn, cut the limit. You’re exerting him twice and then you only get the benefit of using the text again if you want have healing or vitality modifiers, in which case, I think that you’re okay. Its not like you’re gonna run a marathon with his text. However, if you still think its broken, I’d add a twilight penalty. Like, "and add 2".

On Man of the West, I like it, but I think that dual signets AND bi-culture can make him overpowered in addition to his already potent strength bonus and hunter bonus. Cut the strength pumping and the Theoden signet and I think he’s balanced. Or make it each OTHER unique Rohan companion.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
Thranduil
Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:20 pm
NBarden wrote:
Ranger’s Sword, Blade of Aragorn.

Any questions? Or how ’bout Long-Knives of Legolas?

Was that addressing my point? I just thought ’Strider’s Blade’ sounded better than ’Weapon of Strider’, I wasn’t complaining about grammar or anything!

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:54 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
Okay, I tweaked both the sword and Aragorn, Man of the West rather significantly. Let me know what you think. Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down?

While you ponder those, let’s start posting some of the other cards associated with Aragorn and show his "mini-themes" in this set. Like with these! Smile

2Grey Shadows Gondor
Condition • Support Area
Each time the fellowship moves during the regroup phase, spot 3 Gondor rangers (or Aragorn and another Gondor Man) to remove 1 for each Free Peoples culture you can spot (limit 3).
“On and on he led them, tireless and swift, now that his mind was at last made up. The woods about the lake they left behind. Long slopes they climbed, dark, hard-edged against the sky already red with sunset.”

5 By Day and Dark Gondor
Event • Regroup
The twilight cost of this card is -1 for each minion and hunter minion you can spot.
Spot a Gondor Man and 2 other companions of different cultures to make the move limit +1 for this turn and play the fellowship’s next site (replacing opponent’s site if necessary).
“‘We will make such a chase as shall be accounted a marvel among the Three Kindreds : Elves, Dwarves, and Men. Forth the Three Hunters!’”
Last edited by DáinIronfoot on Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in totalBest regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
Thranduil
Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:40 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Okay, I tweaked both the sword and Aragorn, Man of the West rather significantly. Let me know what you think. Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down?

I’d prefer him with the signet ability instead of the strength bonus, but he’s fine.

DáinIronfoot wrote:
3Grey Shadows Gondor
Condition • Support Area
Each time the fellowship moves during the regroup phase, spot 3 Gondor rangers (or Aragorn) to remove 1 for each culture you can spot in the fellowship (limit 3).
“On and on he led them, tireless and swift, now that his mind was at last made up. The woods about the lake they left behind. Long slopes they climbed, dark, hard-edged against the sky already red with sunset.”

I prefer ’Free Peoples culture’ - that fact that that includes possessions, artifacts and conditions I don’t think matters, especially with such a low limit. In fact, I think I’d prefer say removing 2 or 3 while spotting X cultures. Or make it a burrito, so removing 1 for 2 Free Peoples cultures, an extra 1 for 3 and 1 for 4 would be rock. I don’t like limits much, but your way works fine.

DáinIronfoot wrote:
5 By Day and Dark Gondor
Event • Regroup
The twilight cost of this card is -1 for each minion you can spot (or -2 if that minion is a hunter).
Spot a Gondor Man and 2 other companions of different cultures to make the move limit +1 for this turn and play the fellowship’s next site (replacing opponent’s site if necessary).
“‘We will make such a chase as shall be accounted a marvel among the Three Kindreds : Elves, Dwarves, and Men. Forth the Three Hunters!’”

I don’t quite like your phrasing of the first ability. How about ’The twilight cost of this card is -1 for each minion and hunter minion you can spot’? Solid card though.

Thranduil
- Dream of the Endless

elf lvr
Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:56 pm
Both are okay as-is, although thranduil also has a few interesting ideas.
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Winner of Best Personality in the FPCA. Thanks!
Archduke Elf Lvr - Archidoux of the Chosen Ones
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
lem0nhead
Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:28 am
DáinIronfoot wrote:

3Grey Shadows Gondor
Condition • Support Area
Each time the fellowship moves during the regroup phase, spot 3 Gondor rangers (or Aragorn) to remove 1 for each culture you can spot in the fellowship (limit 3).

Sound. Lower cost to 2 me thinks and the brakcets should say Gorn and another gondor man or something, or this is too splashable and in a 3 hunters its just wrong!

5 By Day and Dark Gondor
Event • Regroup
The twilight cost of this card is -1 for each minion you can spot (or -2 if that minion is a hunter).

"This card’s twilight cost" is more usually phrased but thats pedantic on a new level. Also what do you mean if "that" minion is a hunter? Youve just said for each not if you can spot ’a’ minion. Needs clarifying. Seems ok.

Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:58 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
cool!. and locking would be a much better concept than capturing. actually you could use the locking mechanic and call it capturing, which would fix the dumb name and the brokenness!! (first you never answered this. wondering what you thought of it.

1Ranger’s Sword, Weapon of Strider Gondor
Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +2
Bearer must be Aragorn.
While a hunter companion of another culture is assigned to a skirmish, Aragorn gains hunter 1.
Skirmish: If Aragorn is not assigned to a skirmish, spot an unbound hunter and discard 2 Gondor cards from hand to have Aragorn replace that hunter in a skirmish.
“We are needed south and west....There is work for the sword to do.”
much better

4Aragorn, Man of the West Gondor
Companion • Man
Strength: 7
Signet: Théoden
Valiant. Hunter 1. While Aragorn bears no Gondor artifacts, he is also a Rohan Man.
Aragorn is strength +1 for each of the following you can spot: Rohan Man, Elf, Dwarf.
“‘The men have found their captain. They will follow you....’”
cut the hunter 1, or drop strength to 6

DáinIronfoot wrote:
look up

3Grey Shadows Gondor
Condition • Support Area
Okkkaayyy make it or aragorn and another hunter

5 By Day and Dark Gondor
Event • Regroup

works for me
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:24 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
Alright, made some tweaks the the couple. Let me know if they’re better...or worse. Razz

Here’s a few new ones, starting with the same "mini-theme" and transitioning to another. Enjoy! Smile

2Hardy Is the Race of Elendil! Gondor
Condition • Support Area
Each time the fellowship moves during the regroup phase, spot 3 Gondor rangers (or Aragorn and another hunter companion) to heal a companion (or heal 2 Rohan companions).
“‘Strider is too poor a name, son of Arathorn. Wingfoot I name you. This deed of the three friends should be sung in many a hall.’”

2 Help in Doubt and Need Gondor (reprint)
Condition • Support Area
Skirmish: Exert an unbound Gondor companion to make a Rohan companion strength +2, or exert a Rohan companion to make an unbound Gondor companion strength +2.
“‘The Heir of Elendil would be a strength indeed to the Sons of Eorl in this evil tide.’”

One of my all-time favorites...I simply HAD to reprint it, right down to the lore this time. But I also made a new, similiar one:

2Worthy Men Gondor
Condition • Support Area
Each time a unique Gondor Man wins a skirmish, you may make a Rohan companion gain hunter 2 until the regroup phase.
Each time a unique Rohan Man wins a skirmish, you may make a Gondor companion strength +2 until the regroup phase.
“‘More like to the swift sons of Eorl than to the grave Men of Gondor he seemed to me, and likely to prove a great captain of his people when his time came.’”
Last edited by DáinIronfoot on Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:30 pm; edited 2 times in totalBest regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards