LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Gameplay Questions
darkconstantine
Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:47 pm
err i have this creature--its name i dont remember, but it’s a rouge--it’s got an ability that says, "protection from converted mana cost 3 or greater."
whats ’converted mana’ means? is it only applicable to morphing creatures?
or any spell that comes into play?
elf lvr
Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:19 pm
Converted mana cost is the total amount of mana needed to play a card.

For example, a card that has a mana cost of 2 colorless mana obviously has a converted mana cost of 2, but a card that costs 1Red also has a converted mana cost of 2, because 2 mana are needed to play it.

A card that needs 2BlueBlue has a converted mana cost of 4, and so forth.
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Winner of Best Personality in the FPCA. Thanks!
Archduke Elf Lvr - Archidoux of the Chosen Ones
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
Felipe Musco
Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:54 am
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
Perfect, EL. Just adding a few things.

The card is Mistmeadow Skulker, 1W, 1/3, lifelink, protection from converted mana cost 3 or higher.

Now, first thing, spells don’t come into play. They go on the stack, and if they resolve and they’re creatures, artifacts, planeswalkers or enchantments, they become permanents. PERMANENTS come into play.

Also, the converted mana cost, simply put, is the total amount of mana written in the upper-right corner (or the left corner, for future-shifted cards... darn Wizards...) of a card. So, in reality, a Morph has converted mana cost 0, since there’s no cost written on it. Also, any card with no mana cost is considered as having converted mana cost 0, like Lotus Bloom, Ancestral Vision, Swamp, Gemstone Mine, etc.
Bowm the tricky thing are cards with X in their costs, like Disintegrate. In abstract, X will ALWAYS be 0, so if you reveal a Disintegrate to Dark Confidant, you’ll lose 1 life (it’s converted cost will be 1, only counting the red mana). Also, if you transmute Dizzy Spell, you can search your library for Shock, Unsummon, or a Demonfire, they all have converted mana cost 1. However, once ON THE STACK, the converted mana cost of such cards COUNT the amount paid for X, since it’s already declared and know. So, although in abstract a Disintegrate has converted mana cost 1, if I play a Disintegrate for 1 on a creature, until it leaves the stack, its mana cost is consideredto be what I paid for it, so it’s 1R, meaning it has converted mana cost 2. Why is this important? Because in this single case, you can counter it with a Spell Snare, for instance.
Last,any permanent with an X in its cost, likewise, considers the value of X WHILE ON THE STACK. After coming into play, X becomes 0 again. So a Chalice of the Void for 2 (meaning it costs 4 colorless mana) has a converted mana cost of 4 while on the stack, but has a converted mana cost of 0 after it’s in play.
I don't like YOU.
darkconstantine
Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:26 pm
tnx a lot.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Gameplay Questions