LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
50%
  [ 1 ]  50%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

50%
  [ 1 ]  50%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 2
The First
Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:45 am
Joined: 07 Oct 2005 Posts: 195 Location: Anderlecht, Belgium
I wasn’t going to increase the number of counters. I thought about siding them and maybe replace some leaks and remand against control deks. They go for the long run and late game, those counters are worthless.

Maybe I could side some extra draw spells. I’m not sure which other instant speed draw card is good enough though. Telling Time comes to my mind... but in the end, that’s only 1 card.

What do you think about adding Giant Solifuge against control? I see more and more players use this card in control, mainly for speed en untargetability.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:54 pm
I personally think fuge is overused and verging on bad. When he was a 4/3, I was going to use him in every deck I made, but when the actualy cards came out and the spoiler was wrong... I don’t know. I’m just not that crazy about getting a four mana creature killed by a llanowar elf.

For draw spells, I’d recommend compulsive reasearch. It’s a great card because you can see three cards, discard either one or two you don’t want, and you can do all sorts of manipulation of graveyards- it’s all purpose.

I actually think remand is good any time becuase you get to draw a card AND late game it blows off a lot of their mana. Even if they can play it down the next turn, they just missed an entire turn of main phase at your cost of just two mana and no card loss at all. Mana leaks can go, though, for my tastes.
The First
Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:53 pm
The counters need to be answers to things that you can’t handle. If you remand something and don’t draw the right answer, you just lost control. 2 mana for a draw engine is overprised and against control decks, that 1 extra turn doesn’t always make a difference.

I still like the Fuge. It is a downtuned version of Ball Lightning. The fun thing is that you can’t target him and that you can only stop it with another creature. Control decks don’t have enough creatures to stop him - I have too much removal for this. Even if another creature dies, it is a 1-for-1 card that does some extra damage.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:09 pm
I guess fuge is good for anti-control... I still would say he’s much more of a sideboard type than maindeck

As for remand... I think it’s one of the bst counterspells in the game. The fact that it replaces itself means that you could draw into something like faith’s fetters that could just removal whatever they play. The bonus is you delayed them an entire turn, still trading one card for one card but at half the mana cost. And you gain four...

At the same time, though, I see your point. It really depends on the deck. I think here, with lightning helix, fetters, and electrolyze, you should have enough removal to take out threats, but it depends on your local meta.
inresponse
Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:07 am
solifuge is insane, verging on ridiculous. The untargettability of solifuge makes him a great sideboard option versus izzetron and other counter heavy, board clearing removal lite deck.
The First
Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:29 am
Yeah, hmm, I should’ve mentioned that I wanted the fuge in sb, not md.

I don’t say that remand isn’t good but against control decks, counterspells can be a little more expensive. What’s important is that it has to do it’s job.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:20 am
I suppose so... I just can’t help but wonder what this deck can’t deal with. Those finishers are pretty phat and if they’re going to kill them or fetter them, it’ll be the turn you play them when you don’t have mana anyway. Remand means it’s close to being able to be played (becuase of mana cost) same turn. Rewind... no way.
inresponse
Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:20 pm
the first goal against other control decks is not to stop them from negating your win conditions, but to negate the opposing win conditions. In this way, rewind is clearly better, as remand does nothign to actually stop the threat from hitting the table a turn later, aside from allowing you to draw an answer with your extra cards. However, if you just counter it, you won’t need to hope for an answer in those cards. Also rewind helps you win the counter war late in the game where mana isn’t really an issue. with wrath and lightning helix, he can kill his own fettered angels (maybe a miren too?) and then reanimate them, eliminating the fetters as a removal spell anyways.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:46 pm
inresponse wrote:
the first goal against other control decks is not to stop them from negating your win conditions, but to negate the opposing win conditions. In this way, rewind is clearly better, as remand does nothign to actually stop the threat from hitting the table a turn later, aside from allowing you to draw an answer with your extra cards. However, if you just counter it, you won’t need to hope for an answer in those cards. Also rewind helps you win the counter war late in the game where mana isn’t really an issue. with wrath and lightning helix, he can kill his own fettered angels (maybe a miren too?) and then reanimate them, eliminating the fetters as a removal spell anyways.

You make good points relevant to normal control... but I don’t think they apply here. If you’re in a counter war with only 8 counters overall, you lose no matter what they are.

You can play rewind if you want.. I really just want you to consider all the options before you choose so you can make an educated choice whether it be right or wrong or according to who. I’m pretty sure either one could work.
inresponse
Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:31 pm
this is all for second game, when you board in the rewinds so you have more than 8 counterspells.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest