LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Standard (Type 2)
Felipe Musco
Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:33 am
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
--- description ---
Newcomers to the game and experienced players alike, check this one out!
--- end description ---

21 Lands:
21 Plains

33 Creatures:
4 Goldmeadow Stalwart
4 Knight of Meadowgrain
3 Cenn’s Heir
4 Wizened Cenn
3 Thoughtweft Trio
4 Shade of Trokair
3 Knight of Sursi
4 Knight of the Holy Nimbus
4 Soltari Priest

6 Enchantments:
4 Glorious Anthem
2 Militia’s Pride

Now, this is a relatively budget-ish deck (I’m guessing it’d cost 20some dollars, at the most) that I’m sure you’ll find very good to play with, so for newcomers, I’d recommend taking it as a starting point. For instance, the only rares in it are Soltari Priest (not really rare, and easy to get since no one is playing him lately), Glorious Anthem (also easy to get), Militia’s Pride and Thoughtweft Trio (comes with the Kithkin Precon, so you can actually buy the Precon to get started). This deck is so aggresive for its price, that a simple opening of turn one Goldmeadow Stalwart followed for a Wizened Cenn will give you a 3/3 creature SWINGING on turn TWO! Play a Glorious Anthem the next turn, and you suddenly have a 4/4 and a 3/3 by commiting TWO creatures to the board, not to mention it’s turn THREE and your opponent may be down to half his life points already!
It’s seriously sick! If you want to keep it budgetary but also have a game at your local FNM (AFTER Lorwyn is legal, on October the 20th, of course!), you can also pack a sideboard with:

3 Calciderm (hell on control players)
2 Fortify (nice trick)
3 Oblivion Ring (takes care of annoying Tarmogoyfs)
4 Sunlance (takes care of the annoying Elephant tokens from Call of the Herd or Fortune Thief)
3 Ronom Unicorn (more of a toolbox of sorts, not to mention taking care ofopposing Oblivion rings)

Of course, as I always say, sideboards depend on your meta.
I’m playing a White Weenie deck myself, and it’s fairly good for a monocolored deck, try it out!
I don't like YOU.
NBarden
Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:29 pm
Interesting that you should post this because I’m working on designing a White Human Soldiers deck. Lotsa potential. And this deck helps look at some of the cards that might enhance the strategy. Thanks!

I was struggling to find something decent to pair it with, but I think I’ll put it with Kithkin.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:26 pm
NBarden wrote:
I was struggling to find something decent to pair it with[...]

Which game are you playing, again? Laughing
Yeah, I was working on a Soldier deck when Mobilization got reprinted on 10th, but when I saw Militia’s Pride, I knew I had a winner. Not to mention, it can be revealed as well to Goldmeadow Stalwart (after all, it’s a Kithkin...) AND removed to Thoughweft Trio even if they Wrath the board away! Very Happy
I don't like YOU.
NBarden
Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:10 pm
I know, but still, the soldier strategy just isn’t good enough to work completely on its own. Pairing is a LotR term, but it still applies. Razz

Mobilization is awesome, though, and using that AND militia’s pride work well in a white soldier deck. My deck runs mostly humans, but it works pretty well with any soldiers, hence pairing with Kithkin.

I’m thinking I’m gonna go generic Kithkin though. Will get deck up soon. I may try to actually build one in real life (but then I’d probably go stalking vengeance).
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Felipe Musco
Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:17 pm
The Kithkin precon gives you a good base to start building on. Plus, Stalking Vengeance rotates alongside the whole Ravnica Block on the 20th, so you wouldn’t be able to play even some FNMs for fun. I’d go Kithkin. And Militia’s Pride do not work well with Mobilization, you’d have too much enchantments, and Militia’s Pride triggers whenever a NONTOKEN creature attacks, so Mobilization tokens do nothing for you. I’d go with the Pride, it’s cheaper, it puts the creatures directly attacking (and pumping Cenn’s Heir to astronomical heights out of the blue) and it’s a Kithkin.
I don't like YOU.
Lurkerburger
Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:22 pm
Kithkin deck is pretty good . I tried to mix it with Tarmogoyfs and gaddok but this deck doesnt need them really. I Play this kind of version
Creatures:
4x Goldmeadow Staltwart W (best W-cost creature in T2)
4x Burrenton Forge-Tender W (I play this because i want one turn drop)
4x Wizened Cenn WW (Game winner card lets hope for other kithkin lord)
4x Knight of Meadowgrain WW (Lifelink, firststrike ,yum)
4x Calcidern 2WW (Blastoderm was great , so is this )
3x Serra Avenger WW (3/3 she flies and blocks )
2x Thoughtweft Trio 2WW (Second best champion meat)
2x Crovax, Ascendant Hero 4WW (Ajani would be better )

Enchaments:
3x Militia’s Pride 1W (hot! )
3x Obvilion Ring 2W (Well if you play white , you play this)
2x Sunlance W (This or Mana Tithe )

Plainswalkers:
1x Ajani Goldmane 2WW ( Ajani’s Second ability is sick! )

Lands:
4x Flagstones of Trokair (Rotates lands out of deck)
2x Horizon Canopy (cycles)
1x Windbrisk Heights (Best hideaway land easy to play)
15x Plains

So, i think Ajani is better than Glorious Anthem , giving +1/+1 counters and vigilance. Serra Avenger has minor drawback but its one of those must remove creatures. ABout other creatures... im gonna change Burrentos to Solitaire Priest’s those are much better plus have and good evasion ability.

Kithkins are budget , even if you add avengers , flagstones and other rares. I would think that worst match up for this is Bigmana R/G. But kithkins should win control decks. G/B is bad too becouse of mass discard and white doesn’t have card draw.
O.o
NBarden
Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:49 pm
I’d run at least some Vivid Meadows so you can have Gaddock.

He’s awesome. Although overall, I prefer Elementals to Kithkin, I guess its more my style of play is to take risks.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:50 pm
Your deck is too all over the place. Try to focus on Kithkin alone, lose the expensive cards like Crovax and Calciderm (keep Ajani, though). Burrenton can be used in a trio, tops. I like Thoughtweft Trio, but it may be more of a sideboard card. Cenn’s Heir is missing when he shouldn’t be. I’d also pack the fourth Oblivion Ring and 4 Mana Tithe. Perhaps Griffin Guide, as well (this + Cenn’s Heir is SICK). If there’s no room for a set of Griffin Guides, go for a pair of Loxodon Warhammer. THIS + Cenn’s Heir and 2 more creatures is already nuts, with Militia’s Pride out, it goes ballistic.
The way you’re going, you’re making a different type of white deck, it’s also good, but not a good Kithking deck. Oh, and for the lands, if you lower your curve you can get away with playing only 21 lands, but play all plains, too many early WW cards you NEED to hit, and having lands that come into play tapped can be troublesome. Perhaps some Horizon Canopy is ok, if you can bear with the life loss.
I don't like YOU.
Lurkerburger
Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:43 pm
yep im going to kick crovaxes out . Griffin guide 2W well its good card but, old there is big difference when giving +3/+3 or +2/+2 . I could change Calcidern to priests and add one trio. There is no reason to put trio in Sideboard, good meat against who ? Lets just keep it in main
-2x Crovax to +2 Ajani (When i get them)
-4x Caldern
to
+3x Solitaire Priest
+1x Thoughtweft Trio

Then about Loxodon warhammer aka. nOOb hammer in Europe. That card looks good but it consumes mana . i would say that Finlands metagame is 80% Control 20% Agro , combos are for T1. so it cost 3mana and three mana to equip... ok my Staltwart gets equipped, i attack. Crypit command ,boomerang, vensver... hits and i just have used 6mana in total for nothing. its bad against decks with burn too... Only case were i would use hammer is Troll Ascetic . but i wont becouse Troll doesn’t save hammer.(so , if you wana play hammer , play troll too)

Only land that comes in to play tapped is Windbrisk Heights. It’s good ,1 doesn’t kill decks tempo . if you think flagstones yeah they can suck but i don’t want to draw lands after i get 4 so these cards decreases chances to draw land. I have bad memories playing with 21 so i just keep 22 .

And thanks.
O.o
Felipe Musco
Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:17 pm
Where there is a lot of control, Warhammer is even better, the metagame here is full of controls, and my monowhite has been tearing it apart. Ok, you equip and swing. They bounce? Play Mana Tithe. That’s why I use a lot of them. Also, if a single warhammer resolves, they’re gonna have a REAL hard time keeping the game under control, since any creature that slips into play becomes a MAJOR threat. Griffin Guide also helps against controls (my monowhite was MADE to play against control and most bad matchups in my area, as well), since it makes your small guys bigger, and able to evade their Phyrexian Ironfoots. Then, if they Wrath, you still get a flying creature. This, with Warhammer, is really nasty. Warhammer is an AMAZING card, fairly overlooked IMO.
I don't like YOU.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Standard (Type 2)