LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Standard (Type 2)
NBarden
Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:05 pm
--- description ---
Big, scary, white soldiers.
--- end description ---

Plains x 20
Forbidding Watchtower x 2

Benalish Commander x 2
Crovax, Ascendant Hero
Field Marshal x 4
Loyal Sentry x 4
Honor Guard x 4
Goldmeadow Harrier x 4
Revered Dead x 4
Icatian Javelineers x 4

Ajani Goldmane x 2

Mobilization x 3

Glorious Anthem x 4
Loxodon Warhammer x 4

The point of the deck is to throw out a lot of soldiers, most fairly cheap, and then watch them get big, via Field Marshal, Ajani Goldmane, Crovax, and Glorious Anthem. They have first strike, vigilance, and are all around solid creatures ready to take on anything. Suspend Benalish Commander and then use and Mobilization to throw out tons of tokens.

I was thinking of Crib Swap to take care of other creatures, but then they would get a Changeling token, and that would mean MY cards pump up their tokens. And that wouldn’t be fun. The other alternative is using it for my creatures, but that’s rather pointless. Oh well.
Last edited by NBarden on Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in totalExclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:51 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
Ok, for the mana base. This is an aggro deck, meaning 24 lands is WAY too much. 22 is the top curve. Then, there’s the 4 Forbidding Watchtower issue. Forbidding Watchtower is inherently a defensive manland. Although it doesn’t mean you can’t use it to pound, coming into play tapped gets in the way of the typical aggro curve, so I’d use 2 of them, TOPS. Last, the great thing about Flagstones of Trokair is both deck thinning and color-fixing, as you can play a second Flagstones, having them kill each other and allowing you to get two dual lands (as long as one of the types is plains) essentially giving you three colors off the bat, so when you use it, you use 3-4. I’ve seen some people using them in place of regular plains in mono-colored decks, mainly for thinning the deck, but since the second one will kill the first one and those plains will come into play tapped, you’ll "lose" a turn, so I’d cut them completely.

Now, for the curve. It’s WAAAY too big, you have too many expensive creatures. Benalish Commander is only nice when suspended, because his toekn-generating ability can’t be countered, being good against control, but for maindeck material, I’d use 1, maybe 2, and leave 1 on the sideboard. Darien is just too expensive to work. Seriously. By the time you get him online, in order to gain a rough edge from his ability, you either is taking too much damage, and then will die soon anyway, or you have already controlled the game, meaning you’ll win anyway. Crovax and Field Marshal are both great, and in the right amounts. Veteran Armorer sucks, and Oathsworn Giant just costs way too much for what he does. Icatian Javelineers might be nice. Goldmeadow Harrier is also essentially defensive, when you should be playing offense, so I’d go with Goldmeadow Stalwart as long as you can fit other Kithkin into the deck, or lose him. As I mentioned in my other post, Mobilization does not work well with Militia’s Pride, so I’d stick with only one of them, in this slower build, Mobilization. I’d pack some Glorious Anthem to ensure they get big, because thing is, if all that pumps them are creatures, a single Wrath of God will ruin your board completely, making you have to start over from scratch, while 2 Anthems will ensure that
anything you play is a genuine threat. Also, you’re missing one-drops badly. If you REALLY need removal for the maindeck, use Oblivion Ring. Cheaper, less limited, and can take out pretty much ANY annoying permanent. I like Ajani, he’s nice. With an army of vigilance creatures in front of him, either they counter him, burn him, or they’re doomed, but in order to do this, the deck needs to be faster, it has to be YOU taking the offensive, so they’ll be at their back foot, unable to damage you enough so that your Ajani avatar will be big enough. And nice catch with Crib Swap, I hadn’t noticed that yet. And Loxodon Warhammer rocks. Badly. Use it.
I don't like YOU.
NBarden
Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:37 pm
Changes made. 1 drops mean 1 mana creatures? Cause now there’s 12 1 mana creatures, but I don’t think I run enough Kithkin for that what’s-its-name 2/2 guy.

Also thought about Lotus Bloom....and are there any White mana adding instants? (So I can drop even more creatures?)

Also, was thinking of Ivory Giant, suspend him for White, forget about him, and then when he hits play, bam. Tap all your opponents creatures and overrun with a bunch of VIGILANT soldiers.

Or just drop one of him ASAP and still overrun with soldiers.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:47 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
That’s what one-drops means, yes. You’re playing an aggro deck, you should curve out at four mana, tops. No need for adding mana quickly. Specially because the idea is to play a few good creatures, and then hog some in your hand, so if they clear the board you still have some offensive. Of course, against other aggro decks, you CAN crowd the board... But quick mana isn’t gonna cut it, since it costs you the slot of a good creature. I like Ivory Giant, but he’s way too slow. When he finally arrives, if you REALLY need a full swing to win, then you’re too far behind, and probably already lost. For first-turn suspends, I like Shade of Trokair, since it’s a "big" threat on its own (and a good use for the mana you’ll have to spare later on). Epochrasite might be good, too, but as for now I’m not sure he fits an aggresive white deck, more if you have ways to sacrifice him early on for some benefit...
I don't like YOU.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Standard (Type 2)