LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:38 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
maybe I won’t be able to review...I am still somewhat baffled... and it looks complicated for my wittle mind anyway...if you are having trouble getting reviews I will but otherwise I will let others chip in.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
menace64
Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:49 pm
lem0nhead wrote:
Ok before i review i need clarity. What does advantage and speed do and mean?

Good... lots of questions. These will actually help me figure out the rules. lol.
Okay, so here’s the breakdown on the stats:
Advantage
In-story, advantage gauges how much of a leader a personnel is, and how much leverage a personnel has on a situation (thus, Politicians usually have better advantage). But in-game, advantage is used to determine who takes the first turn each round. At the start of a round, count up your total advantage of all your personnel; whoever has the highest advantage "has the advantage" and chooses who takes the first turn of the round.

Power
The same has strength in LotR, except the numbers are generally lower. A normal personnel will have 1 power; an adept warrior will have upwards of 4 or 5 power. During an engagement, one player’s personnel is engaged with the other player’s personnel. Whichever personnel emerges with the highest power wins the engagement. Then, once all engagements resolve, each player counts up his total power in the combat. Just like with advantage, whoever has the highest power wins the combat.

Speed
Speed represents two different things: dexterity and actual movement. Some personnel (like Til, who you’ll see later) are tricky little sneaks, and as such have a high speed. And then, some personnel (Entrenched Militia in this set) have no speed at all.
During the transit phase, you can move your personnel up to X locations ’away’ from their current location, where X is that personnel’s speed. See - just like in SWCCG - you play locations in a line with other related locations. For example, all Crescent locations would be played border-to-border with each other, creating a makeshift world for personnel. When you play a location, you put it on either side of the line; once a location is played, it can’t be moved.
So if the Crescent locations look like this...

[Upside Plaza][Lucian’s Flight Office][Sald’s Shop and Diner]

...and you play Civilian Housing to Crescent, you can choose to play it beside Upside Plaza or Sald’s Shop and Diner. Then, let’s say you have a personnel with speed 1 at Lucian’s Flight Office and wanted to move him. During the transit phase, you could move that personnel 1 location either direction.
Speed also dictates which player takes the first action during an engagement. Once two personnel are engaged, the personnel with higher speed goes first.

Vitality
Exactly, verbatim, the same as vitality in LotR. Even down to wounding and healing. No difference. None.

lem0nhead wrote:
Why do characters have phrases like each pilot here? Why would a pilot be on a personnel?

I needed a concise, uniform, and simple meaning for "at this card’s location." Here fulfills that need. When a card says "here" it means "at this card’s location," regardless of what the card is or what it’s played onto. There is no spotting in this game, just straight-up card interaction.

lem0nhead wrote:
How do you win a round? Once all your phases and the turn is up, what determines who won it?

At the end of the end phase (which takes place after both players take their turn), each player counts up the total number of locations he or she controls. That’s all it is, and unless playtesting yells at me otherwise, that’s all it needs. There are a few cards in this set that can win you a round under other circumstances, but control of locations is key to winning (thus forcing player interaction).

Ask more questions! This really helps me figure out the knicks and knacks.
Riddle 9
When I came to Abraham I let him live just a moment longer. When I came to Moses I saved his life more than once. But the salmon... I regret to say I had a hand in its death.

Who am I?
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:58 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
are there going to be possession that add strength/vitality/keywords?
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
menace64
Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:32 pm
Haha! You’ve fallen into my trap!

(Human Tech) Charged Rifle (Curbite 2)
Ranged Weapon
Play onto your guard or warrior. This personnel is power +2.
Combat- Once per combat, use 2 curbite to wound the opponent’s personnel here with speed less than this personnel’s speed.
1C176

So let me break that card down.
It’s a human tech, which costs you 2 curbite to play. It can only play onto a personnel with a guard or warrior trait, and grants that personnel 2 more power.
Now, it says Ranged Weapon. Until I can find something better to call it, that just tells you what kind of tech it is.
Then the combat phase ability allows you to wound "the opponent’s personnel here" which translates to "the opponent’s personnel at this location." Pretty good, basic weapon.

(Human Tech) Enhanced Weaponry (Curbite 3)
Starship Upgrade
Play onto your starship with power. It is power +2.
At the end of this starship’s engagement, you may damage a starship it is engaged with.
1U180

Here’s a very good uncommon. The only condition is that it goes onto a starship with power (which rules out all starfighters and escape pods; you’ll see why in a minute). Granting power +2 and an extra damage (damage is wounding for starships, btw) all for 3 curbite ain’t nothin’ to sneeze at.

So why doesn’t Enhanced Weaponry work for starfighters? Here’s your basic Human starfighter:

(Human Tech) N.F.C. Fighter (Curbite 2)
Small Starship ∙ NF-04-class Starfighter
Play onto your pilot. This personnel is power +1 and speed +2.
1C187

Starfighters play onto a personnel, and in this card’s case, that personnel must also be a pilot. They cannot be in play by themselves without a pilot. Starfighters work just as if you played a gun like Charged Rifle. The only difference with a starfighter is that, while a personnel is piloting one, he can’t use any of his other techs. They aren’t destroyed or discarded, they just aren’t active until the starfighter leaves play.
So, for why Enhanced Weaponry doesn’t work for a starfighter. A starfighter has no power. It provides power to the pilot, yes, but it itself has nothing. Now, a large starship...

(Human Tech) ∙Prophet (Curbite 9)
Large Starship ∙ Terrsa-class Defensor
Capacity-5 Power-6 Speed-4 Armor-5
Combat- Once per round, use 4 curbite to make the opponent’s starship here power = 0 and speed = 0.
1R190

... has lots of power!

Now, as for keywords in Deadrock, there aren’t many in this set. In fact, there are only three in the normal sense of the word: Ambush, Cloak, and Core.
Ambush lets you play cards out of their normal turn. Cloak (which actually just appears once in the set) makes the cloaked card unable to be engaged or targeted. Core is just a word for "plays to your support area" (more or less).

But most personnel have one or more traits, such as the aforementioned guard and warrior. There are also leaders, politicians, scientists, etc. Those are what really define a personnel’s potential.
Riddle 9
When I came to Abraham I let him live just a moment longer. When I came to Moses I saved his life more than once. But the salmon... I regret to say I had a hand in its death.

Who am I?
Thranduil
Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:06 pm
This is very interesting, and quite similar to SWCGG.

How many characters do you expect to have at a site? If as many as in Star Wars and Wars, I suggest you remove the wounding thing and just make everything auto-death except in special circumstances. It works in LOTR because the FP player never has more than 9 characters. It might be too complicated in DeadRock.

And how about you do what Wars did with your tech cards ie. make ’Starship Upgrade’ into ’Upgrade • Starship’ so that it’s immediately clear who it plays on, or ’Weapon • Guard/Warrior’?

I do really like your starfighter mechanic - very nice, simple and interesting. I also suggest that, unless you’re planning on any ships bigger than starfighters, but only just enough to have its own card that you remove ’large’ from your starships above and call them just ’Starships’ to simply distinguish between those that are things in themselves and those that play on characters.

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)
NBarden
Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:31 pm
menace64 wrote:
And now some of those productions, followed by a card or two from different card types.

(Atmospheric Production) Automated Trawler
Play onto a Deadrock location.
Production- Once per round, relocate Automated Trawler to a related location to make your curbite generation +2.
1C156

Okay, exactly how difficult is it to get curbite? That may help in reviewing the cards. Is it guarded? Is it thrown out at will like LotR? Is it in-between like MtG?

(Spacial Production) Off-planet Storage Facility
Each time you discard a card from your hand to pay a card’s cost, add a curbite token here.
Production- Remove 3 curbite tokens here to make your curbite generation +2.
1U167

I see that its somewhat guarded. Hm...interesting. As I said, I’l have to look at it more in-depth. Are there any general production cards? Like, at the start of the turn, add a curbite token here, remove X number of curbite tokens to make curbite generation +1?

(Atmospheric Production) Untapped Spire
Production- Once per turn, discard a card from your hand to make your curbite generation +2.
1C172

Nice.

(Human Personnel) ∙Corlu Sald, In the Know (Curbite 2)
“Corlu”
Advantage-0 Power-0 Speed-1 Vitality-1
Corlu may not participate in combat unless he is at Sald’s Shop and Diner, where he is advantage +3 and power +3.
Each time you replenish your hand, you may look at the top 4 cards of your deck and replace them in any order.
1R12

Okay, so what’s advantage?

(Xenthu Personnel) ∙Lia’niti, The Warrior Sorceress (Curbite 5)
“Lia’niti” ∙ Leader ∙ Warrior
Advantage-3 Power-4 Speed-4 Vitality-2
Ambush.
When you ambush with Lia’niti, until the end phase, each time you would use any curbite, you may use 0 curbite instead.
1R70

WHOA! Free stuff! Dancing. So how does an ambush work?

(Xenthu Event) ∙Approaching Tide (Curbite 0)
Core. When you play Approaching Tide, use X curbite to add X distance tokens here.
At the start of each ambush phase, remove a distance token here. If there are no distance tokens here, play X starships or X personnel from your deck to any eligible locations; each card played this way is curbite cost -3. Destroy Approaching Tide.
1R107

Whoa...again powerful. Are you going to start the game off as broken?

(Human Event) ∙The Opening Prayer (Curbite )
Core.
At the start of your ready phase, you may reveal an event from your hand to add a rally token here.
Combat- Make your pilot operating a starfighter advantage +1, power +1, speed +1, or vitality +1 for each rally token here. Destroy The Opening Prayer.
1C128

Nice. Hang on, so events aren’t discarded?

(Human Tech) Trench-class Starcruiser (Curbite 4)
Large Starship ∙ Trench-class Starcruiser
Capactity-4 Power-2 Speed-3 Armor-5
Once per round, if another of your large starships here is engaged by the opponent, you may use 3 curbite to make the opponent engage Trench-class Starcruiser instead.
1C192

Cool. Assignment replacing. Still not sure how the curbite curve works, though.

(Xenthu Tech) Eti’les Swiftpod (Curbite )
Swiftpod
Play onto your large starship.
Standoff- Relocate a warrior aboard this starship at a space location to a related location. Shuffle Eti’les Swiftpod into your deck.
1R196

Okay, not sure how locations work, but cool. Not sure how your notation works completely yet, but I’d try to clean up the card a little.

(Key Location) ∙Crescent
Space Location
While the Human player controls Crescent, the Xenthu player may not play to or more to related locations.
1C2

Move to? That’s pretty cool. What is a related location?

(Support Location) ∙Arson Sea
Deadrock ∙ Ground
At the start of each players’ turn, each of that player’s non-piloting personnel here is wounded.
1U218

Sweet. Arson Sea or Arsenic Sea?. I like it, it means that if you play the right deck, you can rule the site, and nothing the opponent can do can overrun it. Is this kinda like SWCCG sites? If so, that makes this card completely sweet. I wanna see some cards that key off of site domination.

menace64 wrote:

Haha! You’ve fallen into my trap!

(Human Tech) Charged Rifle (Curbite 2)
Ranged Weapon
Play onto your guard or warrior. This personnel is power +2.
Combat- Once per combat, use 2 curbite to wound the opponent’s personnel here with speed less than this personnel’s speed.
1C176

Eh...geez. I hope that your curbite curve is pretty guarded. Otherwise, this card is broken real quick. Power +2? Geez. That’s a lot. I’d make it +1.

So let me break that card down.
It’s a human tech, which costs you 2 curbite to play. It can only play onto a personnel with a guard or warrior trait, and grants that personnel 2 more power.
Now, it says Ranged Weapon. Until I can find something better to call it, that just tells you what kind of tech it is.

Firearm? Then you can have, like, a side-arm, heavy weapon, etc.

Then the combat phase ability allows you to wound "the opponent’s personnel here" which translates to "the opponent’s personnel at this location." Pretty good, basic weapon.

(Human Tech) Enhanced Weaponry (Curbite 3)
Starship Upgrade
Play onto your starship with power. It is power +2.
At the end of this starship’s engagement, you may damage a starship it is engaged with.
1U180

Damage...like 1 damage? You mean, wounding a starship?

Here’s a very good uncommon. The only condition is that it goes onto a starship with power (which rules out all starfighters and escape pods; you’ll see why in a minute). Granting power +2 and an extra damage (damage is wounding for starships, btw) all for 3 curbite ain’t nothin’ to sneeze at.

So why doesn’t Enhanced Weaponry work for starfighters? Here’s your basic Human starfighter:

(Human Tech) N.F.C. Fighter (Curbite 2)
Small Starship ∙ NF-04-class Starfighter
Play onto your pilot. This personnel is power +1 and speed +2.
1C187

Nice. A lot nicer. Hey, are you planning on culturally enforcing these cards at all?

Starfighters play onto a personnel, and in this card’s case, that personnel must also be a pilot. They cannot be in play by themselves without a pilot. Starfighters work just as if you played a gun like Charged Rifle. The only difference with a starfighter is that, while a personnel is piloting one, he can’t use any of his other techs. They aren’t destroyed or discarded, they just aren’t active until the starfighter leaves play.
So, for why Enhanced Weaponry doesn’t work for a starfighter. A starfighter has no power. It provides power to the pilot, yes, but it itself has nothing. Now, a large starship...

(Human Tech) ∙Prophet (Curbite 9)
Large Starship ∙ Terrsa-class Defensor
Capacity-5 Power-6 Speed-4 Armor-5
Combat- Once per round, use 4 curbite to make the opponent’s starship here power = 0 and speed = 0.
1R190

HOLY COW! But 9 curbite to play and 4 curbite to use its ability. Eh...WHOA!

... has lots of power!

Now, as for keywords in Deadrock, there aren’t many in this set. In fact, there are only three in the normal sense of the word: Ambush, Cloak, and Core.
Ambush lets you play cards out of their normal turn. Cloak (which actually just appears once in the set) makes the cloaked card unable to be engaged or targeted. Core is just a word for "plays to your support area" (more or less).

But most personnel have one or more traits, such as the aforementioned guard and warrior. There are also leaders, politicians, scientists, etc. Those are what really define a personnel’s potential.

This looks like...a mix between every TCG ever invented. I like it.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:48 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
What happens if both sides have equal power? If you have no idea yet, instead of making it like LotR, there’s a new MtG keyword called Clash which could be fun, if tweaked accordingly. Right now, when 2 players Clash, they each reveal the top card of their deck, and the one with the biggest cost wins. Since Clash only appears in complementary abilities of spells, if the clash ties nothing happens. After a clash, both players get to choose wether to leave the card on top, of to put it at the bottom of their deck. To your game, aside from using a variety of clash (cycles nicely, pretty cool) for abilities, tied combats could be decided in a clash, which, in case of a tie, would obligate both players to put the revealed card below the deck and clash again, so on, so forth. I don’t know, I just liked the ability, it’s FUN to play with, I’d like to see stuff like this more often in games, adding a little suspense, a little more interaction. Dancing
I don't like YOU.
lem0nhead
Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:09 am
First of all thanks for answering my questions dude

Second; There are too many in one go to review so far Menace its a new game and im kinda swamped by it all, i suggest you limit your spoilers like we all do for our LOTR DC sets to ~ 3 spoilers a time and wait for reviews cos i just dont want to go through all you have posted.

Also i echo FM’s question that jumped out at me 2. What if there is a draw of strength or sites controlled?
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
Gate Troll
Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:19 am
Joined: 15 Aug 2006 Posts: 384 Location: Udun Vale, Home of the one and only... Gate Troll!
Hey m64, could you please make a list of rules and so on? I’m don’t really think I can review until I completely understand the game.
"Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of the men who follow and of the man who leads that gains that victory."-George S. Patton.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:08 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
Ok... BUMP? Eh?
I don't like YOU.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards