LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:31 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
I know, I know...I’m not even finished with The Road Ahead just yet, but I’ve hit a bit a bit of a wall with the last couple cultures for that set. So for now, I’m moving on to a culture that has always scared me: the Raider culture. WHY does it scare me? Because I haven’t really done much DCing with them before. In fact, of all cultures in the game (except Men), I’ve messed around with Raider the least. But since we’re currently covering Gondor rangers, I figured this was as good a time as any to dive into their chief opponents in The Two Towers: the Southrons. I’ll get to Easterlings before we’re done too, but for now, I’m finally going to try and create some decent Southron DCs.

Here’s my feeble start. Be gentle. Embarassed

5 Southron Hussars Raider
Minion • Man
Strength: 10
Vitality: 3
Site: 4
Southron. Archer.
When you play this minion, you may remove a threat to play a Raider mount from your draw deck; the twilight cost of that mount is -1.
“‘Swertings we call ’em in our tales; and they ride on oliphaunts, ’tis said, when they fight.’”

3Oliphaunt of Far Harad Raider
Possession • Mount
Strength +3
Vitality +1
Bearer must be a Southron.
Bearer is fierce.
Each time bearer wins a skirmish, you make exert bearer to add a threat.
Each time a companion or ally is killed during a skirmish involving bearer, you may exert bearer to take control of a site.
“‘An Oliphaunt it was!’”

Not quite sure where I want to go with the culture yet, but I figured I’d go back to the Towers block basics for Southrons: archery, site control, and ambush, with a little swarming and direct exerting/wounding mixed in. Why change what’s already great? Smile If you have any specific ideas, though, I’d love to hear them...especially since I’m at a bit of a loss when it comes to these guys.
Last edited by DáinIronfoot on Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:16 pm; edited 17 times in totalBest regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:48 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Minion • Man
Southron. Archer.
When you play this minion, you may remove a threat to play a Raider mount from your draw deck; the twilight cost of that mount is -1.
“‘Swertings we call ’em in our tales; and they ride on oliphaunts, ’tis said, when they fight.’”

Neato! Smile

DáinIronfoot wrote:
4Oliphaunt of Far Harad Raider
Possession • Mount
Strength +3
Vitality +1
Bearer is fierce.
Each time bearer wins a skirmish, you make bearer damage +1 until the regroup phase.
Response: If a companion or ally is killed during a skirmish involving bearer, exert bearer to take control of a site.
“‘An Oliphaunt it was!’”

I would drop the cost to 3. Thumbs Up
I had to put something here.
elf lvr
Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:08 pm
Ditto AP.
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Winner of Best Personality in the FPCA. Thanks!
Archduke Elf Lvr - Archidoux of the Chosen Ones
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:17 pm
Done. Thumbs Up

Either of you guys done much with Raider before? What’re some good tips on them? I know AC was really good with the culture....
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:30 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Either of you guys done much with Raider before? What’re some good tips on them? I know AC was really good with the culture....

Sorry, but Raider is one of my [many] weak areas. Embarassed

And AC was really good with nearly everything. Razz
I had to put something here.
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:33 pm
Anonymous Prodigy wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:

An excellent point. Homage

elf lvr
Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:37 pm
Anonymous Prodigy wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:

Sorry, but Raider is one of my [many] weak areas. Embarassed

Yes, he was.

And I’ve never really made Raider DC’s before. Threats, mounts, initiative, and all-over wounding seem to be their strengths.

Although you could go for a twist and do site control...
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Winner of Best Personality in the FPCA. Thanks!
Archduke Elf Lvr - Archidoux of the Chosen Ones
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:42 pm
elf lvr wrote:
And I’ve never really made Raider DC’s before. Threats, mounts, initiative, and all-over wounding seem to be their strengths.

Although you could go for a twist and do site control...

See, little known fact: Southrons used to have some site control, but it only lasted for one set: The Two Towers. Big D abandoned the concept after that, sadly enough. Which gives me an Expanded deck idea.... Twisted Evil (Just like the Spanish Inquisition, NO ONE expects Raider site control! Mr. Green)

Thranduil
Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:52 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Minion • Man
Southron. Archer.

This guy rocks!

DáinIronfoot wrote:
Possession • Mount
Strength +3
Vitality +1
Bearer is fierce.
Each time bearer wins a skirmish, you make bearer damage +1 until the regroup phase.
Response: If a companion or ally is killed during a skirmish involving bearer, exert bearer to take control of a site.
“‘An Oliphaunt it was!’”

Ugh! Southron site control - one of the worst decks EVER! Please don’t do site control - it’s my least favourite mechanic (worse even than hunter which I’m very much against as you almost certainly know by now). It’s awful and horrible and boring and I hate it! Evil or Very Mad

Obviously you can do whatever you want, but ignoring site control would certainly make me happy, especially as none of your other cultures are using it (I think - correct me if I’m wrong here). Other than that, the second ability is unnecessary complicated and I think it should simply give damage +1 as well as fierce, and change the second ability to adding some threats or something.

Plus, you’re slightly out of luck as I’ve also never made any significant Raider or Men DCs, nor use many decks of them!

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)
AgentDrake
Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:48 pm
Joined: 01 Apr 2007 Posts: 667 Location: Halfway between eccentric and insane...
DáinIronfoot wrote:

Minion • Man
Southron. Archer.

Love the lore... where’d you find it? That’s not in Two Towers, is it?

Possession • Mount
Strength +3
Vitality +1
Bearer is fierce.
“‘An Oliphaunt it was!’”

I’d pull off one of the bonuses, probably the Damage +1 or the site control.

Sorry. No experience here.
(Well, I have made Raider and Men DCs, but they all completely ignore anything Decipher ever did with the cultures....)
Never kid about politicians. The more bizarre the joke, the more likely it is to come true.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards