LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Standard
NappyKorn
Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:42 am
Shadow ( 38 Cards)

Minions ( 22 )

Gothmog, Morgul Leader x3
Lurtz, Minion of the White Hand x3
Ugluk, Ugly Fellow x3
Barbaric Uruk x3 or White Hand Guard x3 ???
Crushing Uruk x2
Sentinel Uruk x3
Tyrannical Uruk x2
Uruk Rogue x3

Possessions ( 4 )

Berserker Torch x4

Conditions ( 8 )

Deathly Roar x4
Fearless Approach x2
Pikes Upon Pikes x2

Events ( 4 )

War Machine x2
You Do Not Know Fear x2

Strategy:

This deck is pretty simple, let your opponent wound your Uruk-hai before skirmish either through maneuver actions and during the archery phase, and if they don’t you have ways of doing this yourself. Berserker Torch is a key cards in this deck it makes your Uruk-Hai minions Strength +2 for each wound on your opponent and your minion involved in the skirmish. Not to mention that it has toil so you can get an exertion to play it. I threw Pikes Upon Pikes in the deck just incase you decide to use the toils and other exerting action before the archery phase to get your minions exhausted for the torch. Then with the Deathly Roar out and tokens on them you can easily exhaust a fellowship making the torch even more powerful. I add in Gothmog for the additional archery to kill of some exhausted comps during the Archery phase or to simply add some more wounds for the torch. You Do Not Know Fear is here to get rid of some troublesome condition the freeps might run and Fearless approach helps in reinforcing your tokens on Deathly Roar. I had to add some Lurkers so I could get my Torches back out once they are played and discarded using War Machine. The Lurkers I chose were beneficial since they can exert as well to do some helpful things and possible become exhausted for a torch that might be played on them. I chose a lesser played Lurtz to run in this deck, Lurtz, Minion of the White Hand, With the easy way of exhausting a fellowship with Deathly Roar this Version of Lurtz can become an impressive minion to deal with and adding a torch to him just makes it worse.

Example with Lurtz, Minion of the White Hand:

Lurtz base strength 13, One exertion on him to play the torch on him (thank you toil) and Another exertion on him to play Tyrannical Uruk (thanks again toil) now he is exhausted and with pikes upon pikes out he fears no arrows. The opponent is running say 4 comps (I believe that is about normal I suppose) and 3 are exhausted not hard to do with Deathly Roars out and Ugluk exerting a non-hunter comp at the beginning of each skirmish involving him. If Lurtz is assigned to on of those exhausted comps (saying the comp has vitality of 3 most common vitality before modifiers) he will be a beastly Strength 30 (base strength 13 + an addition +8 for the 4 wounds on Lurtz and the Companion and +9 for the 3 exhausted companions you can spot) and Damage +1 which shouldn’t matter if he tees off on and exhausted companion.

I was thinking about replacing Barbaric Uruks with White Hand Guards. Barbaric Uruks would be good if the opponent kept the RB unwounded, but chances are the RB will take some of the archery wounds dealt by either Gothmog or Lurtz. One the other hand White Hand Gaurds can self-exert to give themselves +2 strength and if with a torch +4 strength boost for each exertion. Let me know whicj minion would be best when you review this.

Anyway enough of my babbling, I would like an thoughts on this deck that anyone may have and I would really like a good Freeps side to pair this deck with.

Thanks and fire away,

NK
Last edited by NappyKorn on Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:16 pm; edited 2 times in totalNo Room
Collection 4 Sale
Deck Wants
macheteman
Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:19 pm
cool deck, a little big. you should shrink it down to 35 cards.

and it would be cool if you had a couple more war machine. but not entirely necessary.
Check out my best article The Utterly Corrupt Corruption,
If at first you don't succeed...Sky-diving isn't for you.
"Combat is dangerous. It tends to interupt your breathing process."
ROLF!!!
NappyKorn
Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:15 pm
macheteman wrote:
cool deck, a little big. you should shrink it down to 35 cards.

and it would be cool if you had a couple more war machine. but not entirely necessary.

Thanks my friend for the reply, I was hoping that maybe I could get a Freeps side that filters and cycles well to compensate the large size of the deck. If there isn’t any freeps side that could help that then I could cut a pikes upon pikes, Uruk Rogue and a deathly roar or another minion to make it 35 cards. Which of the 2 minions do you think would be better suited for this deck, The Barbaric Uruk or the White Hand Guard?

Thanks Again for the comments,

NK
No Room
Collection 4 Sale
Deck Wants
macheteman
Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:55 pm
i have built a dwarven cycling deck that uses gloin son of groin. (only a dwarf would name their kid "Groin") it works pretty well using powerful dwarves, with honed, and some token stuff.

i can post the decklist if you want and you can tweak it to your likes.
ROLF!!!
NappyKorn
Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:59 pm
macheteman wrote:
i have built a dwarven cycling deck that uses gloin son of groin. (only a dwarf would name their kid "Groin") it works pretty well using powerful dwarves, with honed, and some token stuff.

i can post the decklist if you want and you can tweak it to your likes.

sure post it if you don’t mind or you could pm it to me and I’ll see what it can do.
No Room
Collection 4 Sale
Deck Wants
macheteman
Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:23 pm
oh, darn, i just remembered that this deck is standard, and my cycling deck is expanded. i have never built a standard deck before. well, i’m trying to build one now. but anyways, gloin, and no pauses no spills, are the main cards you need. you might also want to throw in some discarding stuff to mess with your opponent’s draw deck.
ROLF!!!
NappyKorn
Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:27 pm
ok thanks I will check those cards out and see what i can come up with. Thanks again for your help mm. GP for you for your comments and help.
No Room
Collection 4 Sale
Deck Wants
NBarden
Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:45 pm
By all means use the White Hand Guard. And either some Spear of the White Hand or Isengard Siege Bow. Come to think of it, probably the Siege Bow.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
NappyKorn
Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:34 am
wow, muat be a pretty solid deck if NB can only make one comment/change to it. By the way when I first built this deck I used the Isengard Siege Bow and then took it out to cut the size down a bit and it still diid just fine. Thanks though I did kind of figirethe White Hand Guard was a better choice.

Thanks,

NK
No Room
Collection 4 Sale
Deck Wants
lem0nhead
Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:52 am
Hey NK what a deck mate! Cant say you havent thought about it the explanation rocks. I have faced a deck that is based around the torch and it hurts like hell but its the uruk hunters version. So although they play differently i would recommend you add a couple of more war machines in like the one i faced. The last thing i wanted when i played it was a torch to suddenly pop up from nowhere. Sad It hurt.

Other than that. Niiiiice.
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Standard