LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Standard (Type 2)
NBarden
Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:52 am
--- description ---
A few ideas from Lorwyn
--- end description ---

Elementals

Mana Base:

Molten Slapheap x 4
Fungal Reaches x 4
Mountain x 14

Enchantments:

Ashling’s Prerogative x 4

Creatures:

Keldon Halberdier x 4
Flamekin Bladewhirl x 4
Flamekin Brawler x 4
Flamekin Harbinger x 4
Inner-Flame Igniter x 4
Incandescent Soul-Stroke x 4
Inner Flame Acolyte x 4

Artifacts:

Dolmen Gate x 4
Deathrender x 2

The idea for the deck is to get Ashling’s Prerogative out as soon as possible. Then, run a bunch of elementals with an odd mana cost and hose half your opponent’s creatures. they all have haste and can hit early. Use their abilities to do lots of fun stuff, and they can’t take damage. Deathrender makes them tougher, and if they die, someone else jumps in to take their place.

I’ll post more decks when I have the time to tinker around. I’m particularly interested in the merfolk, what with that Harpoon Sniper. That’s, like, awesome. Essentially WhiteTap: Destroy attacking or blocking creature.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:55 am
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
Yes, although that kind of effect does not make for great Constructed material. A Limited bomb, however, with enough Merfolk, I’ve faced one in my last Draft... not pretty.
For elementals, Incandescent Soulstoke + Smokebraider + Nova Chaser + Momentary Blink/Fatal Frenzy is what does the trick. Specially if you can pull out that evoke guy that gets rid of blockers. Evoke him out, let his sacrifice trigger onto the stack, use Soulstoke’s ability in response and put Nova Chaser in play championing him. Swing for 11. If you have Fatal Frenzy, for 22.
I don't like YOU.
NBarden
Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:41 pm
A Nova Chaser was what I was thinking of next, but it kinda conflicts with the Ashling’s Prerogative, which is the point of the deck.

My idea was something like this.

Tons of 1-drop elementals, including the one that stacks elementals on top of your deck.

Deathrender on a 1 drop to get killed.

Dolmen gate.

Result is a 12/4 Nova Chaser with trample that can’t take damage while attacking.

Add in a Loxodon Warhammer if you please and each time he swings you gain 15 life. And your opponent is pretty much hosed.

My theory, anyway.

I think Dolmen Gate would work awesome with elementals, because they have a moderate cost high power/low toughness. If they can’t take damage, then they just become raw high power. And that’s evil.

I’m trying to figure out how best to get a Deathrender to combo with Darksteel Colossus. Twisted Evil
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Felipe Musco
Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:38 pm
Dolmen Gate is not that keen for Constructed, as well, more of a limited Bomb (prolly will play some block, as well), since, well, who blocks in Constructed anyway? For Deathrender, forget Colossus, just pack Mogg Fanatic + Enduring Renewal. Infinite damage. Or, to DO use the Colossus, pack Wild Cantor + Enduring Renewal. Infinite mana.
I don't like YOU.
NBarden
Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:17 pm
Anyone facing a 10/2 creature blocks. Mr. Green
Felipe Musco
Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:48 pm
Not when it has trample anyway.
I don't like YOU.
NBarden
Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:21 am
Well, if its swinging for 10 each turn, and you have a power 2 creature, then swinging against it for two stops it from hitting you again. Or swinging with a Loxodon Warhammer to completely thwart it anyway, thanks to trample and lifelink. Twisted Evil Pretty much neutralizes the guy (somewhat) anyway.

I’d do that, is there something wrong with doing that?

BTW, trample works when you’re blocking, correct?
Felipe Musco
Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:16 pm
Yep. Let me rephrase: I’d never block it UNLESS I ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO or it’s pretty advantageous. I’d CERTAINLY block it with Blood Knight, or any other double- or first-striker. I’d also block it with any creature with protection from red, since it wouldn’t die anyway, shrug off some damage, AND possibly kill it if large enough. However, what good is blocking it, say, with a Call of the Herd token? You’ll still take 7 damage, and you will have lost you precious 3/3 beater, so you won’t be able to race. If your deck is monogreen and has no such thing as Lignify or Utopia Vow, to act as pseudo removal, THEN this is a case you ABSOLUTELY HAVE to block it, since you have no other way to be rid of it. However, white decks are usually playing Condemn (great answer to it), Wrath of God, Austere Command, Sunscour, Oblivion Ring, Crib Swap, Temporal Isolation, Bound in Silence or Pacifism; black ones are playing Nameless Inversion, Slaughter Pact, Shriekmaw, Damnation or Terror; blue decks are usually playing Boomerang, Unsummon and a barrage of countermagic, or even Pongify; and red decks are playing Rift Bolt, Tarfire, Shock, Sudden Shock, Incinerate or Mogg Fanatic. So, you see, decks HAVE OTHER WAYS TO KILL IT. Of course, if you have no answer in your hand, you can’t count on a lucky draw and take the full 10 points, thus hits is another case you HAVE to block. Any other case, you can afford to kill it before it strikes, or kill it next turn at sorcery speed. Sure, you’ll have taken 3 more damage, but you already swung with a 3/3 elefant, and now they’re left with the miserable little Harbinger they championed. Problem is, of course, if they have Incandescent Soulstoke out, and the championed creature is an Elemental Harbinger... Wink
I don't like YOU.
NBarden
Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:53 pm
You forgot Neck Snap.

I still like it, whatever you may say and no matter if Oblivion Ring is better. Against enchantment killing decks, Oblivion Ring sucks.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:23 pm
What enchantment killing decks, again? There’s no such thing. Also, white removal is generally meant to buy time until the big bomg hits the table. Red removal is usually used to stop the defending player to recover after setting them at their back foot, and black removal may serve both purposes. Oblivion Ring is cheaper, deals with enchantments, artifacts, AND PLANESWALKERS as well, and if the opponent wants to deal with it, he’ll have to side in enchantment removal meaning he’ll lose some power, or use Oblivion Rings of his own on yours, meaning it won’t be targetting your creatures then.
I don't like YOU.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Standard (Type 2)