LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
LeoKula
Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:11 am
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Alright, folks. Sorry for the delay...I was in bed sick most of the day so far. But on with the show!

Here are the entries. Again, remember that the names are still hidden, so don’t assume you’re looking at, say, lem0nhead’s cards first in that matchup just because his name is listed first. Smile

Here they are!

Dáin Ironfoot vs. elf lvr:

Entry #1:

2Rowan of the Golden Crown Gandalf
Ally • Home 2 [Towers] • Tree
Strength: 3
Vitality: 4
Each time you move from a forest site, you may exert this ally to draw a card.
Skirmish: Place this ally in the dead pile to heal an Ent 3 times.
“‘“Upon your head how golden-red the crown you bore aloft! / O rowan dead, upon your head your hair is dry and grey; / Your crown is spilled, your voice is stilled for ever and a day. / O Orofarnë, Lassemista, Carnimírië!”’”

I like the tree! Very clever and useful.

5Treebeard, Fangorn Gandalf
Companion • Ent
Strength: 12
Signet: Gandalf
Unhasty.
Each time an unbound Hobbit exerts (except during the fellowship phase), you may draw a card.
Skirmish: Exert Treebeard to make another Ent or unbound Hobbit strength +1 (and damage +1 if skirmishing an Isengard minion).
“‘And I am doing the asking. You are in my country. What are you, I wonder?’”

Cool, very well themed Smile

Entry #2:

7Leaflock, Ancient Ent Gandalf
Companion • Ent
Strength: 11
Resistance: 6
Unhasty. Leaflock’s twilight cost is -1 for each Ent you can spot.
Each Tree is strength +1 (or +2 if you can spot a Wizard).
Assignment: Exert a Tree or 2 Ents to allow Leaflock to skirmish.
“‘Leaflock has grown sleepy, almost tree-ish, you might say...covered with leafy hair, he is.’”

AUTHOR’S NOTE: I thought long and hard about either bringing his cost down a little or making him -1 for each Tree as well, but I simply couldn’t do it without completely overshadowing the already-existing Leaflock, in my opinion.

Interesting and powerful, althought treebeard being the leader and giving other ents strength would make more sense. I liked this one tho!

3 Dark Huorn Gandalf
Companion • Tree
Strength: 7
Vitality: 3
Resistance: 4
This companion is damage +1 for each Orc and Uruk-hai in its skirmish.
Maneuver: Spot another Tree or an Ent and add 1 to make this companion strength +2 until the regroup phase. Limit once per turn.
“‘There is a great power in them, and they seem able to wrap themselves in shadow....’”

Interesting. Kind of vanilla tho, in my opinion.

lem0nhead vs. AgentDrake:

Entry #1:

2 Forest Dweller Gandalf
Companion • Tree
Strength: 6
Resistance: 5
While you can spot an Orc or Uruk-hai, this companion gains damage +1 and each companion called Forest Dweller gains hunter 1.
Skirmish: If this companion is not assigned to a skirmish, exert it to replace an Ent skirmishing a minion.
“‘There is a great power in them, and they seem able to wrap themselves in shadow: it is difficult to see them moving. But they do. They can move very quickly, if they are angry.’”

Who said trees and ents can’t be hunters? Very Happy They hunted orcs and uruks in the book, so it’s very apropriate and creative, since D didn’t tackle ents like this.

4 Fangorn Guardian Gandalf
Companion • Ent
Each time a companion called Fangorn Guardian takes a wound or exerts (except during the fellowship phase), this companion is strength +1 until the regroup phase.
“"An angry Ent is terrifying.”

Cool, could be very powerful, but not too many cards that exert or heal ents, so saying it’s OP is just not the case.

Entry #2:

14Watchers of the Forest Gandalf
Companion • Tree
Strength: 10
Damage +1.
Watchers of the Forest is twilight cost -1 and strength +1 for each Ent and Tree you can spot.
Skirmish: Discard two cards from hand to make an Ent strength +1 and damage +1 for each Tree you can spot.
“‘They stand here and there in the wood or under its eaves, silent, watching endlessly... but deep in the darkest dales there are hundreds and hundreds of them....’”

AUTHOR’S NOTE: This is meant to be a really souped-up combination of Huron from Reflections, and Boomed and Trumpeted.

Cool. Not very diferent from what we already saw from ents.

4 Ent Herdsman Gandalf
Companion • Ent
Strength 10
Vitality 4
Resistance 6
Unhasty.
To play, spot an Ent or two unbound Hobbits.
Assignment: Exert an unbound Hobbit or discard 2 cards from hand to allow this companion to skirmish.
Regroup: Exert this companion to discard a wounded minion.
“‘They are the shepherds of the trees... To them you are but the passing tale....’”

Handy regroup ability!

Vote for your favorite from each matchup, please (unless you hapeen to be IN one of them, of course! Razz). The winning contestants will move on to the final round!

Voting will end this coming Friday, January 18th around midnight (EST). Have fun, and good luck to all! Very Happy

My votes are:

If you have a MW Éomer, Horsemaster, please let me know what you want for it Smile
Thranduil
Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:34 pm
Dáin Ironfoot vs. elf lvr:

#1 wrote:
2Rowan of the Golden Crown Gandalf
Ally • Home 2 [Towers] • Tree
Strength: 3
Each time you move from a forest site, you may exert this ally to draw a card.
Skirmish: Place this ally in the dead pile to heal an Ent 3 times.
“‘“Upon your head how golden-red the crown you bore aloft! / O rowan dead, upon your head your hair is dry and grey; / Your crown is spilled, your voice is stilled for ever and a day. / O Orofarnë, Lassemista, Carnimírië!”’”

Not a big fan of the title, but the card is very interesting. Reminds me of the Hunters Ents.

#1 wrote:
5Treebeard, Fangorn Gandalf
Companion • Ent
Strength: 12
Signet: Gandalf
Unhasty.
Each time an unbound Hobbit exerts (except during the fellowship phase), you may draw a card.
Skirmish: Exert Treebeard to make another Ent or unbound Hobbit strength +1 (and damage +1 if skirmishing an Isengard minion).
“‘And I am doing the asking. You are in my country. What are you, I wonder?’”

That is an obvious subtitle - I can’t believe Decipher didn’t use it! I have to say I’m not a big fan of Unhasty - makes sense, but doesn’t work so well in the game. And, since he can’t fight using his own text and has a very low level strength boost, he doesn’t seem to be so useful. If one of those abilities were replaced with a fighting clause (or he was not Unhasty) I would definitely use him.

#2 wrote:
7Leaflock, Ancient Ent Gandalf
Companion • Ent
Strength: 11
Unhasty. Leaflock’s twilight cost is -1 for each Ent you can spot.
Each Tree is strength +1 (or +2 if you can spot a Wizard).
Assignment: Exert a Tree or 2 Ents to allow Leaflock to skirmish.
“‘Leaflock has grown sleepy, almost tree-ish, you might say...covered with leafy hair, he is.’”

I like this guy. An excellent boost for the seriously undeveloped strategy of Trees!

#2 wrote:
3 Dark Huorn Gandalf
Companion • Tree
Vitality: 3
Resistance: 4
This companion is damage +1 for each Orc and Uruk-hai in its skirmish.
Maneuver: Spot another Tree or an Ent and add 1 to make this companion strength +2 until the regroup phase. Limit once per turn.
“‘There is a great power in them, and they seem able to wrap themselves in shadow....’”

I don’t like maneuver abilities like that. It would have been a lot nicer to say ’at the start of the maneuver phase’, but whatever. An interesting tree, but with a title like that i would have hoped him to be more similar to Huorn, maybe damage +1 for each Ent you can spot, or something.

lem0nhead vs. AgentDrake:

#1 wrote:
2 Forest Dweller Gandalf
Companion • Tree
Strength: 6
While you can spot an Orc or Uruk-hai, this companion gains damage +1 and each companion called Forest Dweller gains hunter 1.
Skirmish: If this companion is not assigned to a skirmish, exert it to replace an Ent skirmishing a minion.
“‘There is a great power in them, and they seem able to wrap themselves in shadow: it is difficult to see them moving. But they do. They can move very quickly, if they are angry.’”

Very interesting mechanic which I like a lot. But, I don’t like the trigger being so dependent on the Shadow side of your opponent and would have preferred something that you have control over like 3 Ents. A minor point: ’gains’ could be replaced with ’is’. And I can see some of the trees of Fangorn being hunters - they certainly hunted down the Uruk-hai after the Battle of Helm’s Deep.

#1 wrote:
4 Fangorn Guardian Gandalf
Companion • Ent
Each time a companion called Fangorn Guardian takes a wound or exerts (except during the fellowship phase), this companion is strength +1 until the regroup phase.
“"An angry Ent is terrifying.”

This card is awesome! Like I said, a terrific theme - like that Sauron Orc.

#2 wrote:
14Watchers of the Forest Gandalf
Companion • Tree
Strength: 10
Damage +1.
Watchers of the Forest is twilight cost -1 and strength +1 for each Ent and Tree you can spot.
Skirmish: Discard two cards from hand to make an Ent strength +1 and damage +1 for each Tree you can spot.
“‘They stand here and there in the wood or under its eaves, silent, watching endlessly... but deep in the darkest dales there are hundreds and hundreds of them....’”

Nice connection to Huorns and Ents, like the twilight reduction and the huge companion. Looks good, though I might have preferred less twilight for less strength.

#2 wrote:
4 Ent Herdsman Gandalf
Companion • Ent
Strength 10
Vitality 4
Resistance 6
Unhasty.
To play, spot an Ent or two unbound Hobbits.
Assignment: Exert an unbound Hobbit or discard 2 cards from hand to allow this companion to skirmish.
Regroup: Exert this companion to discard a wounded minion.
“‘They are the shepherds of the trees... To them you are but the passing tale....’”

Nice and simple extension of Forest Guardian.

I vote for:

1) #2
2) #1

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:18 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
This is the last day of voting! If you want to toss your vote in and haven’t yet, please do so soon!
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:34 am
I am terribly sorry I haven’t updated this yet. The weekend turned out to be much, much busier than I expected, especially since it was a three-day weekend!

It appears that, by a 5-3 margin, I have beaten elf lvr in the first matchup. It’s quite obvious, however, that his Treebeard would have smoked me had it been able to skirmish, so I would kindly ask EL to re-PM it to me with a to-fight ability, and I will include it in one of my sets. Smile

The other matchup--between lem0n and Drake--is currently tied at 3 apiece. That gives me the unenviable task of casting the deciding vote between two excellent competitors. It’s tough, but after much deliberation, I am going to have to go with...Drake. Sorry, lem0n...have a shiny GP for playing!

So that means the final matchup will be me vs. AgentDrake. I’ll post challenge details later today. Very Happy

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
lem0nhead
Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:38 am
Nooooooooooooooooooooooo

Drake youre my Professor Moriarty!!!
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
AgentDrake
Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:57 pm
Joined: 01 Apr 2007 Posts: 667 Location: Halfway between eccentric and insane...
lem0nhead wrote:

Drake youre my Professor Moriarty!!!

Thanks...

I think.... Laughing
Never kid about politicians. The more bizarre the joke, the more likely it is to come true.
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:10 pm
Now that I’ve re-revealed that I will be making a Reflections-style set, I am ready to announce...our final challenge! Cool

Dáin Ironfoot vs. AgentDrake

Our challenge for this round is to create three characters. That’s it. ANY three characters. They can be companions, minions, allies, even followers...but they must not have appeared in LOTR TCG to this point.

I would prefer they be directly from Tolkien’s works, and I would further prefer they appear during the later Third Age (in The Hobbit or The Lord of the Rings) or at the end of the Second Age (the times of the Last Alliance). However, if you want to be a little risky, Drake, and go outside of that, then go for it. I’m sure they can find a place in ONE of my sets (probably Ages of Middle-earth if nowhere else) if they win out. Very Happy

They can work directly together, they can be of the same culture, they can be built around a steady theme...or none of those. Entirely up to you.

And as before, please include appropriate lore and proper formatting...yada yada. You know the drill by now. Razz

If you have any questions, Drake, just let me know. Otherwise, the deadline is this Friday, January 25th, by midnight EST. If that’s a problem, let me know and we might extend it through the weekend. I may end up doing that anyway. Angel

Have fun, and good luck, Moriarty! Mr. Green

sickofpalantirs
Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:14 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
aren’t followers technically not characters?
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
Thranduil
Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:18 pm
sickofpalantirs wrote:

Yes, but it’s Dain’s contest so he can say whatever he wants! Razz

Also, I think he was talking about characters in the literary sense rather than within the rules.

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:22 pm
Thranduil wrote:
sickofpalantirs wrote:

I think he was talking about characters in the literary sense rather than within the rules.

Quite right, quite right.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards