LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:38 am
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
Alright! I won’t keep our nine--er, actually, twelve...no, fourteen? ah, fifteen--FIFTEEN companions waiting any longer. Smile Our first challenge begins!

And for this challenge, you will be designing a card for the set I have most recently begun to spoil: The Way Into Mordor, my Two Towers-centric DC set. And I thought we’d start big: with The Balrog itself. Twisted Evil

But not just any Balrog, oh no. For Ol’ Balgy was depicted quite differently in the novelized The Two Towers than he was in the film....

J.R.R. Tolkien wrote:

’Then tell us what you will, and time allows!’ said Gimli. ’Come, Gandalf, tell us how you fared with the Balrog!’
’Name him not!’ said Gandalf, and for a moment it seemed that a cloud of pain passed over his face, and he sat silent, looking old as death. ’Long time I fell,’ he said at last, slowly, as if thinking back with difficulty. ’Long I fell, and he fell with me. His fire was about me. I was burned. Then we plunged into the deep water and all was dark. Cold it was as the tide of death: almost it froze my heart.’
’Deep is the abyss that is spanned by Durin’s Bridge, and none has measured it,’ said Gimli.
’Yet it has a bottom, beyond light and knowledge,’ said Gandalf. ’Thither I came at last, to the uttermost foundations of stone. He was with me still. His fire was quenched, but now he was a thing of slime, stronger than a strangling snake.
’We fought far under the living earth, where time is not counted. Ever he clutched me, and ever I hewed him, till at last he fled into dark tunnels. They were not made by Durin’s folk, Gimli son of Glóin. Far, far below the deepest delving of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he. Now I have walked there, but I will bring no report to darken the light of day. In that despair my enemy was my only hope, and I pursued him, clutching at his heel. Thus he brought me back at last to the secret ways of Khazad-dûm: too well he knew them all. Ever up now we went, until we came to the Endless Stair.’

That’s right, boys and girls...you will be designing a slimy Balrog! Mr. Green

Since this is our first challenge, I will leave this pretty open, and there will be no eliminations THIS round. But I would like to lay out some ground rules, for this and for ALL cards in this contest:

Submissions must:

a.) use proper formatting. Cards that are a general mess will be reformatted or simply not included come voting time.
b.) include lore, even if it’s made up. Uncle Dáin’s cards ALWAYS have lore!
c.) NOT use new keywords or cultures (unless otherwise noted), ’cuz I don’t use them in my sets! Razz

As I’ve said before, the winning cards will make it into one of my DC sets, usually detailed ahead of time for each challenge.

So, once again, your challenge is the "Slime" Balrog, and aside from the rules above, the sky’s the limit. Remember, though, that you have 14 other competitors right now, so think hard and try not to go TOO crazy with this. Very Happy

Since it’s a lot of participants this early on, I will set a long deadline: one week. Cards are due (in my PM inbox) the morning of Friday, November 9th. Anyone who does not submit by then will not be included in this initial round. In future rounds, where there ARE eliminations, those who miss deadlines will be eliminated. If you think you might miss a deadline for vacation or other reasons, let me know and we may be able to work something out...but no notification = no extension. Sorry.

Thanks, and have fun! Very Happy
Last edited by DáinIronfoot on Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:32 am; edited 2 times in totalBest regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:29 am
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Cards are due (in my PM inbox) the morning of Friday, November 8th.

Looks like we’ve got till 2013 to get this card done. Wink

- AC
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:33 am
AnxiousChieftain wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Cards are due (in my PM inbox) the morning of Friday, November 8th.

Looks like we’ve got till 2013 to get this card done. Wink

That’s right, AC. Take your time. YOU don’t have to submit by next Friday. Rolling Eyes

Fixed. Curse you, math! Curse you, AC! Razz
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:36 am
lol. Now that you fixed the deadline, DC sent.

- AC
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead
NBarden
Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:16 am
I sent mine in. You guys are gonna love it. And yes, I’m hoping to pwn even AC.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
lem0nhead
Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:33 am
Heh that should be funny. DC sent.
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:45 pm
Heh. Perhaps I should have just set the deadline at THIS Friday. Laughing

Got all three, guys, and they look fantastic. This IS going to be fun. Smile

Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:46 pm
DC sent. Thumbs Up
I had to put something here.
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:58 pm
I have 6 of the 15 entries thus far. There’s no huge rush, since you have until Friday, but don’t put this off until the last minute! And whatever you do, DON’T miss the deadline.

Shieldmaiden
Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:49 am
Joined: 07 May 2007 Posts: 389 Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Ehm, I put it off to (almost) the last minute, but I didn’t miss the deadline. Very Happy DC sent.
Trade With Me, I went to Middle Earth, and all I got was this stupid ring!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards