LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
menace64
Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:15 pm
Oh yes, you SWCCG vets will have fond memories of such cards as Darth Vader With Lightsaber, Boba Fett With Blaster Rifle, and so on.

I’ve seen this kind of card attempted before in LotR, and honestly this was the influence for the Gandalf, Returned I submitted for the Real-DC Contest last year.

Let me try this again, but with balance applied.

2 ∙Legolas, Ever-armed Bowman Elven
Companion ∙ Elf
Strength-6
Vitality-3
Resistance-6
Archer.
Bow of the Galadhrim and Legolas’ Bow may not be played, and Legolas may not bear a weapon.
At the start of the archery phase, wound a minion.
"Frodo looked up at the Elf standing tall above him, as he gazed into the night, seeking a mark to shoot at."

Pretty simple, really. Since he already "has" his bow, you can’t play either version of his weapon. Then his resistance falls a point and you lose the option to shoot. Legolas wounds an extra minion, even if you don’t want him to! Bad Elf!

Let’s try something... bigger.

4 ∙Gandalf, Ever-armed Istar Gandalf
Companion ∙ Wizard
Strength-8
Vitality-4
Resistance-6
Gandalf’s Staff and Glamdring may not be played, and Gandalf may not bear a mount, staff, or weapon.
Each time Gandalf wins a skirmish, reveal 3 cards at random from an opponent’s hand. Remove 1 for each Shadow card revealed.
Response: If Gandalf would take a wound, discard 2 Gandalf cards from hand to prevent that.
"’Naur an edraith ammen! Naur dan i ngaurhoth!’ he cried."

Once again, Gandalf is stripped of all but the basic resistance. You can’t play his weaponry, but you get built-in affects in the same vein. You have a mandatory twilight remover, and a mostly-reliable wound preventer.

7 ∙Lurtz, Ever-armed Antagonist Uruk-hai
Minion ∙ Uruk-hai
Strength-14
Vitality-3
Roaming-5
Archer. Damage +1. To play, discard an Uruk-hai possession from hand.
Lurtz’s Bow and Lurtz’s Sword may not be played, and Lurtz may not bear a weapon.
Each time Lurtz is assigned to a skirmish, he is strength +X until the end of that skirmish, where X is number of wounds on the companion he is assigned to.
"Kill the others."

Okay, so for this guy I had to get a bit more creative with cost. I added a to play trigger, and the common theme of losing unique weapons continues, but this Lurtz is a beast. He isn’t fierce, but he’s got enough potential to lay down damage. Extra point of base strength, plus the ability to pump up even more.

Let’s end on an odder note.

1 ∙Pippin, Ever-armed Victor Shire
Companion ∙ Hobbit
Strength-3
Vitality-4
Resistance-6
When you play Pippin, play a pipeweed from your draw deck.
Each time you play a pipeweed, add 2 to heal an unbound companion.
"’We are sitting on a field of victory, enjoying a few well-earned comforts.’"

Bonzai! Pipeweed!
Once again, since his attention is wholly on the smoke, his resistance has plummeted to a paltry 6. And then there’s the fact that none of his abilities are optional. It will all trigger once (even in your starting fellowship, allowing you to start the game with a pipeweed but at 2 in the pool from the word Go). You’d better get ready for Pippin to become greedy and keep him in check, or else you’ll find yourself with a flooded pool and one stoned little Hobbit.
Last edited by menace64 on Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in totalRiddle 9
When I came to Abraham I let him live just a moment longer. When I came to Moses I saved his life more than once. But the salmon... I regret to say I had a hand in its death.

Who am I?
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:35 pm
menace64 wrote:
Companion ∙ Elf
Strength-6
Vitality-3
Resistance-6
Archer.
Bow of the Galadhrim and Legolas’ Bow may not be played.
"Frodo looked up at the Elf standing tall above him, as he gazed into the night, seeking a mark to shoot at."

Keep in mind that most decks with Legolas don’t include his bow, so this version would be pretty much better than most other versions. Thus you might want to increase the cost to 3.

menace64 wrote:
Companion ∙ Wizard
Strength-8
Vitality-4
Resistance-6
Gandalf’s Staff and Glamdring may not be played.
Each time Gandalf wins a skirmish, reveal 3 cards at random from an opponent’s hand. Remove 1 for each Shadow card revealed.
Response: If Gandalf would take a wound, discard 2 Gandalf cards from hand to prevent that.

Seems rather strong... I would increase his cost to 5 and lower his strength to 7.

menace64 wrote:
Minion ∙ Uruk-hai
Strength-14
Vitality-3
Roaming-5
Lurtz’s Bow and Lurtz’s Sword may not be played.
Each time Lurtz is assigned to a skirmish, he is strength +X until the end of that skirmish, where X is number of wounds on the companion he is assigned to.
"Kill the others."

Nice!

menace64 wrote:
Companion ∙ Hobbit
Strength-3
Vitality-4
Resistance-6

Wow... interesting! I like the mandatory cost a lot.

- AC
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:37 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
Might I point out that you can still give weapons to these characters? Like Lurtz can still bear Broad-Bladed Sword.
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
menace64
Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:54 pm
CarpeGuitarrem wrote:
Might I point out that you can still give weapons to these characters? Like Lurtz can still bear Broad-Bladed Sword.

lol wow. Quite a mistake on my part, eh? Well, I think adding that bit might balance things up a bit better. Good catch!
Riddle 9
When I came to Abraham I let him live just a moment longer. When I came to Moses I saved his life more than once. But the salmon... I regret to say I had a hand in its death.

Who am I?
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:43 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
Here’s a simple way to solve everything: "This character may not bear a weapon or staff." or some variation of that. You might even make it a keyword.
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:13 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
menace64 wrote:

Companion ∙ Elf
Strength-6
Vitality-3
Resistance-6
Archer.
Bow of the Galadhrim and Legolas’ Bow may not be played, and Legolas may not bear a weapon.
I like it...

Companion ∙ Wizard
Strength-8
Vitality-4
Resistance-6
Gandalf’s Staff and Glamdring may not be played, and Gandalf may not bear a mount, staff, or weapon.
he really isn’t much better than other gandalf. up strength one, and vitality one and maybe...
Minion ∙ Uruk-hai
Strength-14
Vitality-3
Roaming-5
Lurtz’s Bow and Lurtz’s Sword may not be played, and Lurtz may not bear a weapon.
"Kill the others."

this is better, since you probably won’t play many possessions on minions. cut the discard ability and add another keyword

Companion ∙ Hobbit
Strength-3
Vitality-4
Resistance-6

weird...PIPEWEED! GP
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
Thranduil
Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:15 am
How about making a new keyword to avoid naming the weapons you can’t play or bear? Like the permanent weapons in SWCGG? How about:

Trappings - Bow of the Galadhrim (Ranged Weapon)

Trappings - Glamdring (Hand Weapon), Gandalf’s Staff (Staff)

You might not even need the brackets - the fact that the card ’Bow of the Galadhrim’ is a ranged weapon could easily be enough to stop Legolas bearing ranged weapons.

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)
lem0nhead
Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:33 am
Excellent idea i use to love the armed characters in Star Wars ccg. These guys are cool but gandalf needs some work, he’s lame as it is.
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:44 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
I love the overall idea...I actually plan on doing this for my Reflections-type set in the future. Thran’s suggestion would save you a lot of space for other text, which a couple of them could use since they’ll a little "meh". But good stuff overall. Thumbs Up
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards