LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
menace64
Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:53 pm
I remember quest card ideas floating around Decipher’s now-defunct forums a few years ago. They were usually in the style of, you guessed it, SWCCG objectives.

I’d like to try my hand in these odd, game-bending and previously word-splattered cards.

Quest cards are special support area cards that, like the Ring-bearer, are put into play before the game begins. Each quest counts towards the deck size, but you can never have more than 1 per deck. Quests may not be discarded from play, unless specifically targeted, such as "End a Quest." Cards like Grond or Saruman’s Power would have no affect on a quest.

Search for the Creature, Gollum Gandalf
Quest
At the end of each fellowship phase, make Gandalf strength +X until the regroup phase, where X is the number of cards titled Smeagol or Gollum in your discard pile.
Each time Gandalf exerts, any Shadow player may discard 2 Shadow cards from his or her hand to make you shuffle a card titled Smeagol or Gollum in your discard pile into your draw deck.

Pretty cool quest representing Gandalf’s long and perilous journey to find Gollum. We all know that he abandoned the quest to pursue other errands, and that Aragorn did eventually track him down... but not until Sauron released him from Mordor.

Over Hill and Under Hill Shire
Quest
Each time the fellowship moves, you may make a Hobbit strength +2 or resistance +2 until the regroup phase.
Shadow: Once per site, any Shadow player may play a minion. That minion is twilight cost -X and strength +X until the regroup phase, where X is the number of exhausted Hobbits you can spot.

Keep those Hobbits healthy and you’re golden. If not, well, yeah. Pain.

Revealed to the Eye Gondor
Quest
Each time a minion is played, you may exert Aragorn and remove 2 Free Peoples tokens to exhaust that minion.
While you can spot Aragorn, each Shadow player’s hand size limit is +1 for each strength Aragorn has over 6.

I’m not sure about this one. It’s powerful on both sides, all at once giving the Free Peoples player a massive wounding engine and then giving the Shadow player a nigh-inexhaustible engine of cards. Actually, I don’t think this would be all that bad. The second effect would probably limit the Free Peoples player to single moves (because double-moving is when the hand size bonus would kick in).

Let’s try a Shadow quest.

Disband This Rabble Sauron
Quest
At the end of each maneuver phase, you may play The Mouth of Sauron from your draw deck or discard pile.
While you can spot The Mouth of Sauron, discard all other minions.
Assignment: Assign The Mouth of Sauron to a companion with resistance 3 or less to return that companion to its owner’s hand. If the Shadow has initiative, you may take the next assignment action.

Pretty odd card, I know (but aren’t these all?). So, you can effectively bring out the Mouth every site at the cost of him being a "messenger" and therefore no fighting takes place until he loses it and skirmishes himself. But he can just, well, take the fight right out of you, bouncing weary companions back to hand left and right.

And one more...

The Second Darkness Sauron
Quest
Regroup: Spot 7 burdens, discard 4 Shadow cards from your hand, and spot 3 companions in the dead pile to play Sauron from your discard pile; his twilight cost is -10. Suspend the current phase and begin a skirmish phase involving Sauron and the Ring-bearer. When it ends, resume the current phase.

After a lengthy string of costs and spotting requirements, you have a chance to bring out the Big Man Himself. Of course, he needs to have been ’vanquished’ once before (in your discard pile), but if you can pull it off, I’m pretty sure it’s an auto-win for you. And if - somehow - Sauron is deflected, there’s always next regroup phase. Wink

I know these are all powerful cards. But they’re all for fun! Let me know what you think.
Riddle 9
When I came to Abraham I let him live just a moment longer. When I came to Moses I saved his life more than once. But the salmon... I regret to say I had a hand in its death.

Who am I?
Thranduil
Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:19 am
Very interesting, but how about you make them more like the SWCCG objectives, so there are abilities you get before you complete your quest (and perhaps penalties) and cool bonuses afterwards. You could even add on them exactly who you have to play in your starting fellowship, or maybe even some extra cards that you’re allowed to start the game with like people’s gear or specific conditions a bit like the starting effects and starting interrupts from SWCCG.

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)
lem0nhead
Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:39 am
I never liked the star wars objectives they were a nice idea but they blew in gameplay imho. So cant say on these really they look balanced if it helps. Razz
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards