LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
Which theme do you want me to start the final set in this block on?

Dale and the Kingdom Under the Mountain  
9%
  [ 1 ]  9%

The White Council  
45%
  [ 5 ]  45%

The Shire and the Tooks  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Smaug  
9%
  [ 1 ]  9%

The War of the Dwarves and Orcs  
9%
  [ 1 ]  9%

Dol Guldur and the Necromancer  
27%
  [ 3 ]  27%

Total Votes : 11
Thranduil
Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:09 am
As a reminder, this is part of the third of 3 sets:
H1 - The Hobbit (300 cards, 110C 100U 90R)
H2 - The Battle of the Five Armies (200 cards, 70C 70U 60R)
H3 - The White Council (200 cards, 70C 70U 60R)

And it’s more or less complete, I just need the approval of the talented DCers of the cobracards forum!

Here is a (very brief) summary of the block mechanics featured in the first set:

Terror X (Each time this character is assigned to skirmish an opponent’s character, they may make that opponent exert X of their characters.)

Winged (This character can only take 1 wound per phase, regardless of its source.)

Locked - (A card that is Locked has blank game text, unless it is Unlocked. An ability or keyword that is Locked is nonexistent unless it is Unlocked.)

Unlocked - (A card can only be Unlocked if a card allows it to be. A card with no Locked text cannot be Unlocked.)

A seriously detailed description of the last two can be found at this link: http://lotrtcgdb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=4434 (below the Dwarven cards)

There are also a couple more that feature in this set that weren’t in the last, but I’ll get onto them later.

Here’s the culture break down, and clicking on finished cultures will take you to their card lists.

Dwarven - 25
Elven - 26
Gandalf - 33
Gollum - 1
Isengard - 4
Orc - 21
Sauron - 16
Shire - 12
Wraith - 50
White - 12

1 • Arwen , Daughter of Celebrian Elven
Follower
Res: -2
Aid - heal a White Councillor.
So it was that Frodo saw her whom few mortals had yet seen, Arwen, daughter of Elrond, in whom it was said that the likeness of Luthien had come on earth again...
H3 C 26

2 Blade of Beleriand Elven
Artifact • Hand Weapon
Res: +2
Bearer must be an Elf.
If bearer is Ring-bound, he or she is resistance -2.
Bearer gains terror 1.
Skirmish: Heal a minion skirmishing bearer to reveal the top card of your draw deck.
’They are old swords, very old swords of the High Elves of the West...’
H3 C 27

2 Blade of the West Elven
Artifact • Hand Weapon
Res: +1
Bearer must be an Elf or Wizard.
If bearer is Ring-bound, he or she is resistance -1.
Bearer gains terror 1.
Skirmish: Heal a minion skirmishing bearer to take into hand an event from your discard pile of the same culture as bearer.
H3 C 28

2 • Celeborn, Elven Lord Elven
Companion • Elf
Str: 6
Vit: 3
Res: 7
White Council.
The twilight cost of each White Councillor is -1.
At the start of each skirmish involving Celeborn, you may switch his strength and resistance values.
... when the shadow passed, Celeborn came forth and lef the hosts of Lorien over Anduin in many boats.
H2 R 29

4 • Círdan, Master of the Grey Havens Elven
Companion • Elf
Str: 7
Vit: 4
White Council.
At the start of the maneuver phase, you may spot 3 White Councillors and add a burden to place a Free Peoples card from your discard pile on top of your draw deck.
... Círdan saw further and deeper than any other in Middle-Earth...
H3 R 30

1 Council of the White Wizards Elven
Event • Maneuver or Skirmish
If played in the maneuver phase, discard a White Councillor.
If played in the skirmish phase, add 2 and exert a White Councillor to discard them.
’I it was who first summoned the White Council. And if my designs had not gone amiss, it would have been governed by Gandalf the Grey...’
H3 U 31

1 • Elladan and • Elrohir Elven
Follower
Str: +1
Res: -2
Composite.
Aid - exert 2 minions.
To play, spot 3 White Councillors.
But here brothers... were out upon errantry, for they rode often far afield with the Rangers of the North...
H3 U 32

4 • Elrond, Half-Elven Elven
Companion • Elf
Str: 8
White Council.
Elrond’s twilight cost is -1 for each White Councillor you can spot.
Each White Council character is resistance +1.
The master of the house was an elf-friend - one of those people whose fathers came into the strange stories before the beginning of History...
H3 U 33

2 • Erestor, Elven Advisor Elven
Follower
Str: +1
White Council.
Aid - place one card from your hand on top of your draw deck.
Ar the start of each skirmish involving bearer, add a threat.
... there were several other counsellors of Elrond’s household, of whom Erestor was the chief...
H3 U 34

1 Foresight Elven
Event • Skirmish
Spell.
Spot a White Councillor to reveal the top card of your draw deck. Make a minion skirmishing a that character strength -X where X is the twilight cost of the card revealed.
Ever most vigilant was Mithrandir...
H3 C 35

3 • Galadriel, Lady of the Noldor Elven
Companion • Elf
Str: 3
White Council. Terror 1.
To play, spot 2 White Councillors.
While skirmishing an enduring minion, Galadriel is strength +X, where X is her resistance.
Each time Galadriel wins a skirmish, you may remove a burden.
They took Dol Guldur, and Galadriel threw down its walls and laid bare its pits, and the forest was cleansed.
H3 R 36

4 • Glorfindel, High-Elf Lord Elven
Companion • Elf
Str: 9
White Council. Terror 1.
While in your starting fellowship, Glorfindel’s twilight cost is -1.
At the start of each skirmish involving Glorfindel, you may discard the top card of your draw deck to make a White Councillor resistance +X until the regroup phase, where X is the twilight cost of the discarded card.
H3 U 37

3 Good Magic Elven
Event • Skirmish
Spell.
Exert a White Councillor with resistance X to make a companion strength +X. If that companion is the Ring-bearer, add 2 burdens.
’... but I deem that in days ere long to come it should be in nobler hands than mine, that ma wield it for the kindling of all hearts to courage.’
H3 C 38

0 Great Assembly Elven
Event • Fellowship
Exert a White Councillor to play another White Councillor from your draw deck or discard pile.
The White Council was the convergence of the greatest powers serving the Valar since the Last Alliance.
H3 R 39

2 Great Deeds Elven
Event • Maneuver
Spot 3 White Councillors to choose one: switch the strength and resistance values of a White Councillor until the regroup phase; or take a Free Peoples spell into hand from your draw deck or discard pile.
Therefore on a time Mithrandir at great peril went again to Dol Guldur and the pits of the Sorceror, and he discovered the truth of his fears, and escaped.
H3 C 40

2 • Legolas, Mirkwood Liberator Elven
Follower
Str: +2
Aid - reveal the top card of your draw deck.
Legolas may only be borne by a White Councillor.
If bearer wins a skirmish, add a burden.
’I am at home among trees, by root or bough...’
H3 C 41

2 Masterful Preparations Elven
Event • Maneuver
Discard a White Councillor to play a non-event Free Peoples card from your draw deck or discard pile. If that card is played on your Ring-bearer, add a burden.
... Mithrandir urged them to swift deeds, but Curunír spoke against him, and counselled them to wait yet and to watch.
H3 R 42

4 • Masters of Lore Elven
Condition • Support Area
Toil 2.
Locked: Each time you play a White Councillor, you may discard a condition.
Fellowship or Regroup: Discard this condition and spot 3 White Councillors to remove a burden.
... Saruman now began to study the lore of the Rings of Power, their making and their history.
H3 C 43

2 • Masters of Light Elven
Condition • Support Area
To play, spot 3 White Councillors.
Locked: Each White Councillor with terror X is resistance +X.
Response: If a character with terror X is assigned to a skirmish, wound another character X times. Discard this condition.
And Curunír... was chosen to be their chief for he had most studied the devices of Sauron of old.
H3 C 44

0 • Narya, Focus of Fire Elven
Artifact • Ring
Vit: +1
Bearer must be Cirdan or Gandalf.
Bearer gains terror 1.
At the end of each skirmish involving bearer and a minion of strength greater than bearer’s resistance, you may remove a burden.
But Cirdan... divined in him the greatest spirit... and he gave to his keeping the Third Ring, Narya the Red.
H3 R 45

0 • Nenya, Focus of Water Elven
Artifact • Ring
Bearer must be Galadriel.
Bearer gains terror 1.
At the start of each skirmish involving Galadriel and a minion of strength less than her resistance, you may heal a companion.
... those that had them in their keeping could ward off the decays of time and postpone the weariness of the world.
H3 R 46

1 Song of Power Elven
Event • Maneuver
Spell.
Spot a White Councillor to reveal the top card of your draw deck. If that card has twilight cost 3 or more, you may make that character gain terror 1 (or terror 2 if the revealed card is a spell or follower) until the regroup phase.
’The river of this valley is under his power, and it will rise in anger when he has great need...’
H3 U 47

1 Terror of the White Elven
Event • Maneuver
Spell.
Spot a White Councillor with terror X to Lock all keywords on X minions until the regroup phase.
In the likeness of Men they appeared, old but vigorous...
H3 C 48

4 • Thranduil, Wise King Elven
Companion • Elf
Str: 7
White Council.
While in your starting fellowship, Thranduil’s twilight cost is -1.
Thranduil is resistance +X where X is the number of wounds on characters in his skirmish.
... Celeborn and Thranduil met in the midst of the forest, and thay named Mirkwood ’Eryn Lasgalen’, the ’Wood of Greenleaves’.
H3 U 49

0 • Vilya, Focus of Air Elven
Artifact • Ring
Bearer must be Gil-Galad or Elrond.
Bearer gains terror 1.
At the start of each skirmish involving bearer and a minion of strength less than bearer’s resistance, you may reveal the top card of your draw deck. Then you may replace it or discard it.
... of all the Elven-rings Sauron most desired to possess [the Three]...
H3 R 50

3 Wisdom of Ages Elven
Event • Regroup
Play a White Councillor from your discard pile to reconcile your hand.
... but no sign of age was upon them, unless it were in the depths of their eyes, for these were keen as lances in the starlight...
H3 C 51

Thranduil
Last edited by Thranduil on Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:14 pm; edited 29 times in total'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)
lem0nhead
Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:47 am
It was tough, i did wanna see "the necromancer" etc... But had to go for the White Council.
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
Thranduil
Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:33 pm
Wouldn’t mind a few more votes and comments, and I’ll start posting cards as soon as the final Shire cards and sites from the last set have been reviewed.

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Thranduil
Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:50 pm
Okay, I’m reasonably confident that Battle of the Five Armies is now finished, so it’s time to go into the theme that outnumbered all others by a factor of at least 5 (and in most cases, infinity Cool) with The White Council.

First order of business, this theme requires me to introduce a new keyword. It is unloaded, but is referred to in a weird way sometimes. It is an instrument to unite the various members of the Council even though they are of different cultures and races

White Council
Any card with the unloaded keyword White Council is considered to be a ’member of the White Council’ or a ’White Council member’.

Second order of business, this set introduces another element into strategies that has so far been entirely absent from this block, which is resistance, because it’s also the first set that has burden adding or manipulation of the Ring-bearer in any serious capacity, just as a way of explanation to the following cards which might seem slightly out of context.

Third order of business, Tolkien never made it clear who was actually on the White Council, so I’ve guessed as best as I can and come up with the following list. If anyone feels there’s some missing or some on my list that absolutely shouldn’t be on it, then please let me know.

Members of the White Council (according to Thranduil)
Galadriel
Celeborn
Saruman
Gandalf
Radagast
Thranduil
Glorfindel
Elrond
Cirdan
Erestor
Legolas

Fourth order of business, here are a few White Council members of which there can be little doubt to start off with:

Companion • Elf
White Council.
Elrond’s twilight cost is -1 for each White Council member you can spot.
The master of the house was an elf-friend - one of those people whose fathers came into the strange stories before the beginning of History...
H2 U 33

Companion • Elf
White Council.
The twilight cost of each White Council member is -1.
At the start of each skirmish involving Celeborn, you may switch his strength and resistance values.
... when the shadow passed, Celeborn came forth and lef the hosts of Lorien over Anduin in many boats.
H2 R 29

Companion • Elf
White Council. Terror 1 (When Galadriel is assigned to skirmish a minion, you make its owner exert one of their minions).
To play, spot 2 White Council members.
While skirmishing a Wraith minion, Galadriel is strength +X, where X is her resistance.
They took Dol Guldur, and Galadriel threw down its walls and laid bare its pits, and the forest was cleansed.
H2 R 36

And yes I know Celeborn’s and Galadriel’s lores are not talking about the assault of the Council on Dol Guldur, but there you go!

Thranduil
Last edited by Thranduil on Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:14 am; edited 5 times in total'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

sickofpalantirs
Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:37 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
So alatar and pallando were already gone? I am curious where you got your list from

Thranduil wrote:

Companion • Elf
White Council.
H2 U 33
can you add something else? maybe and strength +1 if at a forest or something? kinda bland as is

Companion • Elf
White Council.
When a White Council member is played, that card’s twilight cost is -1.
H2 R 29
Why not, each white council member is twilight cost -1? or fellowship, play a white council member, their twilight cost is -1. I like the second ability

Companion • Elf
White Council. Terror 1 (When Galadriel is assigned to skirmish a minion, you make its owner exert one of their minions).
To play, spot 2 members of the White Council.
While skirmishing a Wraith minion, Galadriel is strength +X where X is her resistance.
H2 R 36
cool!
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
elf lvr
Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:58 pm
Elrond needs to say whilte council member not character, like all the others.

And SOMETHING else on Elrond would be lovely. Even if you do just intend for him to be a common card.

Even though I’ve seen where some of this is going (like with Celeborn) I’d still need a better Elrond to use the White Council version over anything else.
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Winner of Best Personality in the FPCA. Thanks!
Archduke Elf Lvr - Archidoux of the Chosen Ones
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
Thranduil
Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:09 pm
sickofpalantirs wrote:
So alatar and pallando were already gone? I am curious where you got your list from

Alatar and Pallando were long gone. I got my list mostly by conjecture (and looking it up on Wikipedia and the appendices of Lord of the Rings). Galadriel, Elrond, Cirdan, Gandalf and Saruman were explicitly mentioned by Tolkien (I think, though I’m not so sure about Cirdan), making Celeborn, Glorfindel, Erestor and Elrond’s children logical choices. And the fact that the fight happens in Mirkwood suggests that Thranduil, Legolas and Radagast were involved, if not actually on the council.

sickofpalantirs wrote:
Why not, each white council member is twilight cost -1? or fellowship, play a white council member, their twilight cost is -1.

To make sure it doesn’t interfere with telepathy (though I’m not sure it does anyway) and because they’ll be played in other phases than fellowship.

elf lvr wrote:
Elrond needs to say whilte council member not character, like all the others.

Where did I say that only characters could be members of the White Council? Wink

I’ve changed Elrond so that you can now start with him and Celeborn. How is he now?

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

menace64
Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:50 pm
This is just my opinion, but I think it would look better if the White Council keyword was just Counselor.

I know it takes a bit away from the specificness of the White Council, but it sure does make it easier to reference in-text (instead of tacking on "member" or "character", it just reads right through).

At first I didn’t like how Legolas was being listed as in the White Council (I doubt he would have been), but after your explanation I can understand his inclusion.

Very awesome things going here. Waiting for more!
Riddle 9
When I came to Abraham I let him live just a moment longer. When I came to Moses I saved his life more than once. But the salmon... I regret to say I had a hand in its death.

Who am I?
lem0nhead
Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:39 am
Thranduil wrote:

Companion • Elf
White Council.
While in your starting fellowship, Elrond’s twilight cost is -1.
H2 U 33

Is that it? Fine but needs more.

Companion • Elf
White Council.
H2 R 29

Ha sweet! Doesnt say how long the switch last for though, kind of important!

Companion • Elf
While skirmishing a Wraith minion, Galadriel is strength +X where X is her resistance.
H2 R 36

Sweet!

Thranduil
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:11 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
Thranduil wrote:
Members of the White Council (according to Thranduil)
Galadriel
Celeborn
Saruman
Gandalf
Radagast
Thranduil
Glorfindel
Elrond
Cirdan
Erestor
Elladan & Elrohir
Legolas
Arwen

Alatar and Pallando were long gone. I got my list mostly by conjecture (and looking it up on Wikipedia and the appendices of Lord of the Rings). Galadriel, Elrond, Cirdan, Gandalf and Saruman were explicitly mentioned by Tolkien (I think, though I’m not so sure about Cirdan), making Celeborn, Glorfindel, Erestor and Elrond’s children logical choices. And the fact that the fight happens in Mirkwood suggests that Thranduil, Legolas and Radagast were involved, if not actually on the council.

I agree for the most part, but I do NOT agree about the children. I see no precedent for that, and to me it just doesn’t make sense for characters like Arwen to be council members. My list would look like this:

Galadriel
Celeborn
Saruman
Gandalf
Radagast
Thranduil
Glorfindel
Elrond
Cirdan

Much smaller list, I know, but I think it really makes more sense. There is no evidence whatsoever that Erestor and Legolas and Arwen and others were ever anywhere near the council, but I think a good argument could be made for all the others I left on the list, even if some (like Thranduil) may not have been "permanent" members.

I would have a bit of a problem, personally, if you keep the children.

menace64 wrote:
This is just my opinion, but I think it would look better if the White Council keyword was just Counselor.

I know it takes a bit away from the specificness of the White Council, but it sure does make it easier to reference in-text (instead of tacking on "member" or "character", it just reads right through).

I second that opinion.

Thranduil wrote:
Companion • Elf
White Council.
While in your starting fellowship, Elrond’s twilight cost is -1.
H2 U 33

Uh...pretty weak unless the keyword is going to make him more viable somehow. Maybe even go as far as making his cost an additional -1 if you can spot another counselor, though even that just seems...meh.

I’ll reserve full judgement until I see what the keyword can do, but he’s very, very weak right now.

Thranduil wrote:
Companion • Elf
White Council.
H2 R 29

Why not just say "The twilight cost of each other White Council member is -1"? Much cleaner. And lem0n makes a very good observation.

Thranduil wrote:
Companion • Elf
H2 R 36

"2 White Council members", I think. But again, this where "Counselor" or something similiar would just sound SO much better. I think there needs to be a comma after the "strength +X", too.

I dunno. These just seem very so-so to me. The Galadriel’s alright, but only the terror really makes her worth it since the other bit is so specific...she’s pretty useless without Wraith minions, especially since she has her normal high cost AND a stiff spotting requirement. Celeborn is probably the best of the three, and so far, the only one I personally would consider using.

Sorry to be harsh, dude, but I figure you’d want to honesty. I just don’t see much to this yet.
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards