LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
Which theme do you want me to start the final set in this block on?

Dale and the Kingdom Under the Mountain  
9%
  [ 1 ]  9%

The White Council  
45%
  [ 5 ]  45%

The Shire and the Tooks  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Smaug  
9%
  [ 1 ]  9%

The War of the Dwarves and Orcs  
9%
  [ 1 ]  9%

Dol Guldur and the Necromancer  
27%
  [ 3 ]  27%

Total Votes : 11
Thranduil
Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:32 pm
menace64 wrote:
This is just my opinion, but I think it would look better if the White Council keyword was just Counselor.

I understand your point entirely, but I feel that too much of the flavour is lost in that wording. It’s a good suggestion though, and I’ll think on it. Think

lem0nhead wrote:
Doesnt say how long the switch last for though, kind of important!

It lasts until the end of the phase, just like any event or ability unless otherwise stated.

Dain Ironfoot wrote:
Much smaller list, I know, but I think it really makes more sense. There is no evidence whatsoever that Erestor and Legolas and Arwen and others were ever anywhere near the council, but I think a good argument could be made for all the others I left on the list, even if some (like Thranduil) may not have been "permanent" members.

I think you can make a good case for Erestor, given that he is Elrond’s chief advisor, and Legolas, given that he would have been fighting for his homeland, but I accept your point on Elrond’s children. I will henceforth banish them from the White Council! Razz

As for Elrond, I can’t think of any other good minor abilities to put on him, so how about making his twilight cost -1 for each White Council member?

Moving onto some more Lords of the Elves. The first one you may remember from a certain Great DC Contest run by mm which I wish was still running. So the question is, which came first - this card or the contest? Think

4 • Thranduil, Wise King Elven
Companion • Elf
Str: 7
Vit: 4
Res: 7
White Council.
While in your starting fellowship, Thranduil’s twilight cost is -1.
Thranduil is resistance +X where X is the number of wounds on characters in his skirmish.
... Celeborn and Thranduil met in the midst of the forest, and thay named Mirkwood ’Eryn Lasgalen’, the ’Wood of Greenleaves’.
H3 U 49

4 • Glorfindel, High-Elf Lord Elven
Companion • Elf
Str: 9
Vit: 3
White Council. Terror 1 (When Glorfindel is assigned to skirmish a minion, you may make its owner exert one of their minions).
While in your starting fellowship, Glorfindel’s twilight cost is -1.
At the start of each skirmish involving Glorfindel, you may discard the top card of your draw deck to make a member of the White Council resistance +X until the regroup phase, where X is the twilight cost of the discarded card.
H3 U 37

4 • Cirdan, Master of the Grey Havens Elven
Companion • Elf
White Council.
At the start of the maneuver phase, you may spot 3 White Council members and add a burden to place a Free Peoples card from your discard pile on top of your draw deck.
... Cirdan saw further and deeper than any other in Middle-Earth...
H3 R 30

As to the power level of some of their abilities, I’d like you all to just bear with me for a bit as these characters don’t represent all there is to the strategy, and you’ll see later that their texts actually become less important.

Thranduil
Last edited by Thranduil on Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:39 am; edited 3 times in total'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:14 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
Thranduil wrote:

Companion • Elf
White Council.
Thranduil’s twilight cost is -1 in your starting fellowship.
Thranduil is resistance +X where X is the number of wounds on characters in his skirmish.
... Celeborn and Thranduil met in the midst of the forest, and thay named Mirkwood ’Eryn Lasgalen’, the ’Wood of Greenleaves’.
H3 U 49
while in your starting...?nice

Companion • Elf
White Council. Terror 1 (When Glorfindel is assigned to skirmish a minion, you may make its owner exert one of their minions).
Glorfindel’s twilight cost is -1 in your starting fellowship.
At the start of each skirmish involving Glorfindel, you may discard the top card of your draw deck to make a member of the White Council resistance +X until the regroup phase, where X is the twilight cost of the discarded card.
H3 U 37
I like it...

Companion • Elf
White Council.
At the start of the maneuver phase, you may spot 3 White Council members and add a burden to place a Free Peoples card from your discard pile on top of your draw deck.
H3 R 30

personally I think their abilities are very good...but do need a little branching out to see their full possibilities.

I thought in the sim. it said that only Galadriel, Cirdan, Elrond, Gandalf, Radgast, and curunir were in the white council
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
Thranduil
Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:30 pm
sickofpalantirs wrote:
I thought in the sim. it said that only Galadriel, Cirdan, Elrond, Gandalf, Radgast, and curunir were in the white council

It mentions those specifically, but it doesn’t exclude any others, and people like Celeborn, Glorfindel and Thranduil make a lot of sense to be involved. Plus, I wanted to make a full fellowship, and just those wouldn’t have been enough - 8 White Council characters plus Bilbo.

Wikipedia mentions likely members here.

And I forgot to mention that next time will feature some Wizards.

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
lem0nhead
Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:59 am
Thranduil wrote:

lem0nhead wrote:
Doesnt say how long the switch last for though, kind of important!

It lasts until the end of the phase, just like any event or ability unless otherwise stated.

No cos its not a skirmish special ability it does not say Skirmish: If you dont say how long it last for its messed up.

Companion • Elf
White Council.
Thranduil’s twilight cost is -1 in your starting fellowship.
H3 U 49

"While Thranduil is in your starting fellowship his twilight cost is -1" is better. meh h’s not particularly good because his resistance bonus could get quite out of hand make it only minions or only him, then give him something else. Or is this because there are going to be lots of cards that swap strength for resistance?

Companion • Elf
Glorfindel’s twilight cost is -1 in your starting fellowship.
H3 U 37

Again see above for phrasing. Same question applies as above also, otherwise not very good.

Companion • Elf
White Council.
H3 R 30

Sound.

Thranduil
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
Thranduil
Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:09 am
lem0nhead wrote:
No cos its not a skirmish special ability it does not say Skirmish: If you dont say how long it last for its messed up.

I actually disagree there. In my interpretation of the rules, any effect lasts until the end of the phase unless otherwise stated. We should probably check this up with Bib...

lem0nhead wrote:
"While Thranduil is in your starting fellowship his twilight cost is -1" is better.

Changed on both. Thanks. Thumbs Up

lem0nhead wrote:
meh h’s not particularly good because his resistance bonus could get quite out of hand make it only minions or only him, then give him something else. Or is this because there are going to be lots of cards that swap strength for resistance?

No, but you know Galadriel’s ability? Imagine that for anybody!

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

lem0nhead
Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:15 am
Is that a hint? Is that how youre gonna go with the elf theme? Events and such that do similar to Galadriels gametext?
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
Thranduil
Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:08 am
lem0nhead wrote:
Is that a hint? Is that how youre gonna go with the elf theme? Events and such that do similar to Galadriels gametext?

No, that’s actually not the overriding theme at all, but it happens to be one of the cooler cards. I might add it to the last lot actually, and in fact now have.

Thranduil
- Dream of the Endless

Thranduil
Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:36 am
Okay, so now it’s onto some Istari, with an event that I was hinting at before.

3 Good Magic Elven
Event • Skirmish
Spell.
Exert a White Council member with resistance X to make a companion strength +X. If that companion is the Ring-bearer, add 2 burdens.
’... but I deem that in days ere long to come it should be in nobler hands than mine, that ma wield it for the kindling of all hearts to courage.’
H3 C 38

4 • Gandalf, Olorin Gandalf
Companion • Wizard
White Council. Terror 1.
At the start of each skirmish involving Gandalf, you may spot 3 White Council members to Lock or Unlock a card until the end of the regroup phase.
... but his joy, and his swift wrath, were veiled in garments as grey as ash, so that only those that knew him well glimpsed the flame that was within.
H3 R 63

4 • Curunir, Curumo Isengard
Companion • Wizard
White Council. Terror 1.
To play, spot 3 White Council members.
Curunir is strength +1 and resistance -1 for each artifact you can spot.
... Curunir went most among Men, and he was subtle in speech and skilled in all the devices of smithcraft.
H3 R 87

You may notice that now shows 8 White Council companions, so plus Ring-bearer makes 9. So what happened to the others? Well, here’s one of them:

1 • Radagast, Aiwendil Gandalf
Follower
Res: -2
White Council.
Aid - exert a minion.
Radagast can only be borne by a White Council member.
Locked: Skirmish: Make a minion skirmishing bearer strength -1 for each wound on that minion. Discard Radagast.
Radagast was the friend of all beasts and birds...
H3 C 78

You may notice with Radagast that the aid cost is good, and bearing Radagast is usually bad. This is not accidental, but in fact which we’ll see next time with some more White Council followers.

Thranduil
Last edited by Thranduil on Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:57 am; edited 1 time in total'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

lem0nhead
Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:51 am
Thranduil wrote:
Okay, so now it’s onto some Istari, with an event that I was hinting at before.

2 Good Magic Elven
Event • Skirmish
Spell.
Exert a White Council member with resistance X to make a companion strength +X. If that companion is the Ring-bearer, add 2 burdens.
’... but I deem that in days ere long to come it should be in nobler hands than mine, that ma wield it for the kindling of all hearts to courage.’
H3 C 38

Wow that is excessively good with no burdens youre making a companion +6 or 7 or 8 realistically. Needs to cost 3. Similar to Fallen lord but you have to exert 2 people for that and thats more balanced. Nice balance on the RB though. One thing i might mention is a clarification on the term "that companion". This only applies if the RB can be a white council member, but if so, it could mean if the exerted companion is the RB OR the one youre making strength +X. Heck maybe it just doesnt matter.

4 • Gandalf, Olorin Gandalf
Companion • Wizard
White Council. Terror 1.
At the start of each skirmish involving Gandalf, you may spot 3 White Council members to Lock or Unlock a card until the end of the regroup phase.
... but his joy, and his swift wrath, were veiled in garments as grey as ash, so that only those that knew him well glimpsed the flame that was within.
H3 R 63

Sweet!

4 • Curunir, Curumo Isengard
Companion • Wizard
White Council. Terror 1.
To play, spot 3 White Council members.
Curunir is strength +1 and resistance -1 for each artifact you can spot.
... Curunir went most among Men, and he was subtle in speech and skilled in all the devices of smithcraft.
H3 R 87

Coooool. Awesome yet simple balance. Could end up with a beast but really corrupt and prime for resistance punishment.

1 • Radagast, Aiwendil Gandalf
Follower
Res: -2
White Council.
Aid - exert a minion.
Radagast can only be borne by a White Council member.
Locked: Skirmish: Make a minion skirmishing bearer strength -1 for each wound on that minion. Discard Radagast.
Radagast was the friend of all beasts and birds...
H3 C 78

Why does Radagast lower your resistance? He seems really lame. Exerting a minion is cool but odd as a cost, should be a benefit like when you transfer this exert a minion. His locked ability gets him discarded? Think

You may notice with Radagast that the aid cost is good, and bearing Radagast is usually bad. This is not accidental, but in fact which we’ll see next time with some more White Council followers.

Please explain then before i criticise Radagast!

Thranduil
Thranduil
Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:54 am
Radagast’s effect is his aid cost, his drawback is the stat reduction - it’s just the other way round. It was a weird idea I had that I wanted to try out.

And don’t worry about the discarding thing, they’ll be lots of ways to replay him (lots and lots of ways!)

Thranduil
- Dream of the Endless

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards