LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
Which theme do I continue with?

Dale and the Kingdom Under the Mountain  
27%
  [ 3 ]  27%

The Shire and The Tooks  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Smaug  
9%
  [ 1 ]  9%

The War of the Dwarves and Orcs  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Dol Guldur and the Necromancer  
63%
  [ 7 ]  63%

Total Votes : 11
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:45 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
Thranduil wrote:

1 • Warriors In Armour Gandalf
Condition • Support Area
When you play this condition, you may spot a Gandalf Man to add a Gandalf token here.
Each time a Free Peoples card adds one or more threats, you may add a Gandalf token here.
Skirmish: Remove 2 tokens from here or discard this condition to make a Gandalf Man (or Dwarf) bearing a possession or artifact strength +2.
H3 U 83
cool!

1 • White Oars Gandalf
Condition • Support Area
When you play this condition, you may spot a Gandalf Man to add a Gandalf token here.
Each time your hand size goes below 4 cards, you may add a Gandalf token here.
Maneuver: Remove 2 tokens from here or discard this condition to exert a minion.
H3 U 83

maybe maneuver or regroup
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
Thranduil
Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:27 pm
Still wouldn’t mind an alternative adding mechanism for Warriors In Armour as I’m weighing up lem0n’s suggestion.

Now, I think it’s time for a pair of Eagle brothers:

4 • Landroval, Noble Eagle Gandalf
Companion • Eagle
Str: 7
Vit: 3
Res: 8
Winged (Landroval can only take 1 wound per phase).
Landroval’s twilight cost is -1 for each Eagle you can spot.
Skirmish: Play this companion from hand into a skirmish involving a Gandalf companion, replacing any characters in that skirmish.
... they were proud and strong and noble-hearted.
H3 U 70

4 • Meneldor, Keen-Eyed Eagle Gandalf
Companion • Eagle
Winged (Meneldor can only take 1 wound per phase).
Meneldor’s twilight cost is -1 for each Eagle you can spot.
You may play Meneldor any time you could play a maneuver event.
When Meneldor is played, you may reveal a Shadow player’s hand.
... though he could not see the people in the trees, he could make out the commotion among the wolves...
H3 U 75

And those are all of the Eagles. Next time we’ll begin tying up the last loose end of the Gandalf culture, which is our favourite shape-changer.

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:22 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
Thranduil wrote:

Companion • Eagle
Skirmish: Play this companion from hand into a skirmish involving a Gandalf companion, replacing any characters in that skirmish.
H3 U 70
looks good to me!

Companion • Eagle
... though he could not see the people in the trees, he could make out the commotion among the wolves...
H3 U 75

snazzy!
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
Thranduil
Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:36 am
Thranduil wrote:
As a reminder, this is part of the third of 3 sets:
H1 - The Hobbit (300 cards, 110C 100U 90R)
H2 - The Battle of the Five Armies (200 cards, 70C 70U 60R)
H3 - The White Council (200 cards, 70C 70U 60R)

And it’s more or less complete, I just need the approval of the talented DCers of the cobracards forum!

Here is a (very brief) summary of the block mechanics featured in the first set:

Terror X (Each time this character is assigned to skirmish an opponent’s character, they may make that opponent exert X of their characters.)

Winged (This character can only take 1 wound per phase, regardless of its source.)

Locked - (A card that is Locked has blank game text, unless it is Unlocked. An ability or keyword that is Locked is nonexistent unless it is Unlocked.)

Unlocked - (A card can only be Unlocked if a card allows it to be. A card with no Locked text cannot be Unlocked.)

A seriously detailed description of the last two can be found at this link: http://lotrtcgdb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=4434 (below the Dwarven cards)

There are also a couple more that feature in this set that weren’t in the last, but I’ll get onto them later.

Here’s the culture break down, and clicking on finished cultures will take you to their card lists.

Dwarven - 25
Elven - 26
Gandalf - 33
Gollum - 1
Isengard - 4
Orc - 21
Sauron - 16
Shire - 12
Wraith - 50
White - 12

As my DCs seem to be one of very few active DC threads at the moment, I’m getting bored of having so few emails in my inbox!

So I’ve decided to start a new thread, but first you have to decide which theme we’ll begin with. There seemed to be a reasonable amount of enthusiasm for the Necromancer last time, but who knows what you’ll think now?

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
lem0nhead
Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:48 am
Whats with the pointless quote above?

Thranduil wrote:

Companion • Eagle
H3 U 70

Hmm ok. Kinda a one trick pony though.

Companion • Eagle
H3 U 75

Again fine but one shot.

Thranduil
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:09 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
Thranduil wrote:
Companion • Eagle
H3 U 70

Not "this companion", but "Landroval". I agree with lem0n that this seems to be a one-time deal, but it’s not bad.

Thranduil wrote:
Companion • Eagle
H3 U 75

Ditto here.

Do you have ways to discard/take these into hand and play them over and over that I’m forgetting or don’t know about? Because even one such card would them AWESOME whereas right now they’re just okay.
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
lem0nhead
Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:14 pm
Yeah those were my thoughts DI. Presumably youll be bouncing them back and forth? They are balanced if thats the mechanism, definately not too powerful abilities. If its too easy for them to bounce though it could be OP as they could soak up a load of wounds then come flying back next turn.
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
Thranduil
Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:13 pm
For some unknowable reason, I stopped getting emails for this topic, even though I never stopped watching it, so I’ve completely missed all this for a while. As to the pointless quote, obviously I pressed quote instead of edit when I changed the title of the thread, which explains why I had to change the title again afterwards.

As to lem0n and DI’s points, the whole point of the Gandalf Eagles is the same as that of Gandalf and the White Council. You only have to look through a couple of Gandalf cards from the first set and you’ll see it.

So, now onto Beorn, the beginning of which can be found at that link above, and the continuation of which can be found here, just in case you’ve forgotten what he can do.

Here are the two versions of Beorn from this block:

4 • Beorn, Agreeable Host Gandalf
Companion • Man
Vit: 4
Damage +1. Defender +1.
Fellowship: If you cannot spot 4 companions, exert Beorn to remove 1 (or exert him twice at a dwelling to remove 3).
’... and you must be careful not to annoy him, or heaven knows what will happen.’
H1 C 89

4 • Beorn, Skin-Changer Gandalf
Companion • Man
Skirmish: If you cannot spot 4 companions, exert Beorn make him strength +5 (limit +10) and damage +1. Until the end of the regroup phase, he is not a Man.
’... sometimes he is a huge black bear, sometimes he is a great strong black haired man with huge arms and a great beard.’
H1 R 90

And here is another important card you should bear in mind:

3 Great Animal Gandalf
Event • Skirmish
Exert Beorn and remove a minion from your discard pile from the game to make Beorn strength +X, where X is that minion’s strength.
... Bilbo thought he saw away to the right, or to the left, the shadowy form of a great bear prowling along in the same direction.
H2 R 64

The first thing I’m going to do is throw in another Bloodlines card (for which I made the decision to scrap a Laketown card last week, which is why there is no lore and it may be a bit scrappy - better ideas for a title would be most appreciated):

2 • Trusty and Valiant Race Gandalf
Condition • Support Area
Each time Beorn wins a skirmish, you may heal another Gandalf Man.
Each time Grimbeorn wins a skirmish, you may make another Gandalf Man strength +2 until the regroup phase.
Regroup: If Beorn and Grimbeorn did not lose a skirmish this site, spot both of them and discard this condition (or 2 Gandalf cards from hand) to remove 4.
H3 U

Thranduil
Last edited by Thranduil on Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:47 pm; edited 2 times in total'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

DáinIronfoot
Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:47 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
Thranduil wrote:
As to lem0n and DI’s points, the whole point of the Gandalf Eagles is the same as that of Gandalf and the White Council. You only have to look through a couple of Gandalf cards from the first set and you’ll see it.

Yeah, I thought so. Good stuff.

Thranduil wrote:
4 • Beorn, Agreeable Host Gandalf
Companion • Man
Damage +1. Defender +1.
Fellowship: If you cannot spot 4 companions, exert Beorn to remove 1 (or exert him twice at a dwelling to remove 3).
’... and you must be careful not to annoy him, or heaven knows what will happen.’
H1 C 89

His ability is really pretty worthless except at dwelling sites. The keywords make up for it somewhat, but it still doesn’t seem worth it to exert just to save one twilight token. Perhaps just make it always 3 and limit it to dwellings and either sanctuaries or forests.

Thranduil wrote:
4 • Beorn, Skin-Changer Gandalf
Companion • Man
Skirmish: If you cannot spot 4 companions, exert Beorn make him strength +5 (limit +10) and damage +1. Until the end of the regroup phase, he is not a Man.
’... sometimes he is a huge black bear, sometimes he is a great strong black haired man with huge arms and a great beard.’
H1 R 90

So his ability only lasts for that one skirmish, but the Man-negating lasts longer? Odd, but I suppose okay.

Thranduil wrote:
3 Great Animal Gandalf
Event • Skirmish
Exert Beorn and remove a minion from your discard pile from the game to make Beorn strength +X, where X is that minion’s strength.
... Bilbo thought he saw away to the right, or to the left, the shadowy form of a great bear prowling along in the same direction.
H2 R 64

Grimbeorn in a portable little package! Good stuff.

Thranduil wrote:
2 • Race of the Beornings Gandalf
Condition • Support Area
Each time Beorn wins a skirmish, you may return a minion from your discard pile into your hand.
Each time Grimbeorn wins a skirmish, you may place a minion that you have removed from the game in your discard pile.
H3 U

Maybe "A Trusty and Valiant Race" as a nod to their description in Fellowship of the Ring. I’m not sure if I like this one, as I see it potentially being OP. Maybe exert them (or just exert any old Gandalf Man) for each ability? You could take the cost down then, too.
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
menace64
Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:36 am
As another note on that last card, keep in mind that the Bloodlines cards from Bloodines don’t provide ’pure’ bonuses for characters - what I mean is that, while the abilities granted in those cards can be powerful, they aren’t designed for specific companions to abuse.

I would suggest more blanket-kind of bonuses that happen to work well with Grimbeorn and Beorn. Since Grimbeorn exerts a lot for his abilities, heal him. And, from what I can see, Beorn needs more strength. Grant him that instead.
Riddle 9
When I came to Abraham I let him live just a moment longer. When I came to Moses I saved his life more than once. But the salmon... I regret to say I had a hand in its death.

Who am I?

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards