LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Standard (Type 2)
NBarden
Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:15 pm
--- description ---
(Ab)using the the land Dark Depths to get a 20/20 double strike creature out.
--- end description ---

Lands:
Dark Depths x 4
Tolaria West x 2

Vivid Creek x 3
Vivid Meadow x 3
Vivid Grove x 3
Adarkar Wastes x 2
Brushland x 2
Yavimaya Coast x 2
Shimmering Grotto x 2

Enchantments:
Overgrowth x 4
Fertile Ground x 4
Primal Rage x 2
Battle Mastery x 3
Oblivion Ring x 3
Daybreak Coronet x 2

Instants/Sorceries:
Wrath of God x 4
Cryptic Command x 2
Condemn x 4

Creatures:

Mystic Snake x 3
Arcanis the Omnipotent x 2

Grab a Dark Depths fast, get mega mana, spend on Dark Depths and turn out a 20/20 indestructible creature. Load him with Double Strike, Primal Rage ensures trample, and swing for 40. If you get Daybreak Coronet on him, swing for 46 and gain 46 life. Bwahaha.

EDIT: Just tested the deck against itself, and after countering several Mystic Snakes with Mystic Snakes and several Oblivion Rings with Oblivion Rings, I was able to Condemn any creatures that slipped into play. Both mana bases set up VERY WELL, but one of them had really crummy draws, so was only producing 8 mana and couldn’t draw any lands. But the other had awesome draws and pulled a Merit Lage out by turn 10 (to get it destroyed by Condemn. Bwahaha. I think my judgement is right that it can be sent to the bottom of the deck, correct?). Then I swung for 8 twice with Avatar of Might, which came into play comparatively easily, considering that the mana curve got slowed up a little by a Cryptic Command counter on a Fertile Ground, and sending another land to hand losing the other Fertile ground (setting the curve back 3 mana, I love Cryptic Command). If you can REALLY slow this mana curve, it sets up really fast with Fertile Ground and Overgrowth plus sheer number of lands.

Cryptic Command is AWESOME! I loved it. Counter the spell and return a permanent to hand simultaneously!
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:15 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
You see, your deck is the very reason Dark Depths doesn’t work that well...
You spend all your resources into making a Marit Lage token, and then it gets Oblivion Ring’ed, bounced, Condemned, etc. You can play with less copies of Dark Depths, and pack Into the North. Also, you should abuse stuff like Rampant Growth, lose the "vivid" lands (AGAIN you’re playing too few lands, dude... the minimum for a 60 card deck is 22, by default, it WON’T work well with less than that most of the time) and play a hole Plethora of snow lands, and some Scrying Sheets (also tutorable with Into the North). THAT should give you enough land. Also, Avatar of Might sucks ash right now, because he dies to Terror, Shriekmaw, Oblivion Ring and Crib Swap, all largely played. If you want an alternate route to victory, pack Troll Ascetic. Oh, and while you’re at it, lose the auras and just go ahead and use Loxodon Warhammer, all the better. And, since we’re talking about making mana and surviving long enough to do it, some Scryb Rangers and Wall of Roots help, as well. Add in stuff like Evolution Charm to get them back, and that’s even better. Then, pack some countermagic to get rid of annoying stuff. Don’t worry about small creatures, Loxodon Warhammer on Scryb Ranger (flies) or Troll Ascetic (immune to spot removal, and regenerates) is enough to keep you alive. I’d stick with UG, and lsoe the other colors. Oh, and while you’re at it, you can ALSO pack Tarmogoyf as an alternate win condition, as well as 1-2 Spectral Force. Perhaps you could ALSO pack some Storage Lands, and a few Terramorphic Expanse, although that kind of defeats the purpose of Scrying Sheets, so either one or the other, and with Into the North, I prefer the Sheets.
I don't like YOU.
NBarden
Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:47 pm
It is a cool deck though. The mystic snakes are awesome.
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Felipe Musco
Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:14 pm
They are. I’m playing 3 in my UG aggro.
I don't like YOU.
NBarden
Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:38 pm
Dark Depths is I guess a fun land to toss into D-storm or something, or some deck with mega mana that’ll be left over.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:19 pm
Don’t think so, these decks usually have a tight base, so it’s a no-go.
I don't like YOU.
Lurkerburger
Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:22 am
Ok this deck need some fixing. Im not sure about your budget on MTG so i don’t add expensive cards. (well i will) First, something about dark depths. 1) Its legendary,2) it doesnt give you mana,3) token doesn’ have shroud,4) LAND DOESN’T GIVE MANA! that’s sadly one of the worst rare lands ever made. Wintermoon Mesa is worst.

23 land is too low, lets add one more.
Lands:
4x Yavimaya Coast
4x Brushland
4x Gemstone mine (Terramorphic Expanse is other option... maybe better in this deck)
1x vivid greek
1x vivid meadow
1x shimmering grotto (not the best mana fixer but sometimes you need it)
3x island
3x Forest
2x plains
1x Urza’s factory (this land looks good after wrath)

or take vivids out and add tolarian west
overgrowth is too slow take it out. And add 4x Wall of roots instead. stops kithkins /elves / goblins for some time. Primal rage, Battle Mastery and daybreak Coronet looks nice but they suck. Take them out .
enchaments:
4x Fertile ground (or 4x birds of paradise ,if you can get those, or mind stone if your friends play R)
4x Obvilion ring

Instants / Sorceries:
Looks ok but now we have 11 free slot from enchaments so lets add some control:
2x Familiars Ruse (cryptic command has triple U and that is just too risky)
4x Wrath of God
4x Momentary blink ( blink snake more counter)

Creatures:
4x Riftwing Cloudskate
2x Aeon Cronicler (card draw +maro, sweet ^^ )
4x Mystic Snake
2x Venser (sob , this guy is just good)
4x Mulldrifter
4x Wall of roots

This is pretty much control deck with creatures. Forget Dark Depths , its nice when someone tries to "brake" that card but it doesn’t work.

EDIT: Cryptic Command is hot card , but not for this deck one -1 Wall of roots +1 Mulldrifter maybe... "card draw, bounce, counter" words that i hate but i have to live with.
O.o
NBarden
Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:05 pm
I play MWS exclusively. So budget is no problem. But where’s dark depths?
Felipe Musco
Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:44 pm
He’s kinda missing the point that the deck is supposed to be about Dark Depths... Oh, and just for general information, I played a Standard tournament today, piloting Paul Cheon’s GP-winning UW Pickles. Lost to 2 aggro-control decks (both that I made, nonetheless), since after a huge war of attrition and resources being spentm finally they resolved the dreaded Loxodon Warhammer. And when you have man-lands out, that’s about it, it’s just a matter of time. Soooooo, guess it doesn’t suck that bad after all.
I don't like YOU.
Lurkerburger
Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:12 pm
I posted that because you can’t make nothing really good with Dark depths. Thats can’t be even really fun to play . +you said mystic snake is fun card, yes it is. why you don’t make deck around that one.(thats why i made this deck list)

Soooo about Muscos post. As i read the post i get picture that you bounced creatures to hand not the hammer, and that you gave free turns by taping all manas .
OK, basic scenario. Opponent plays hammer ,thats fine.Then he equips it .Even better. Now, opponent attacks ,if you have something on board, hot! Cryptic command--> bounce hammer (draw a card) to hand, block attacker. Venser and teferi has flash so you should have always all manas untapped.Brine elemental and shapeshifter is for winning the game after you get control. <--- you can’t play these guys when you first get three mana they gona die.

So you were piloting Paul Cheon’s GP-winning UW Pickles Shocked . BTW, do you need 3x Cryptic Command for deck ?
Sure you can play hammer, but play it with Troll Ascetic.
O.o

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Standard (Type 2)